Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge speaking friends na Gaillimh?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello world!

I am an American and I just recently moved to Galway area. I am in the process of learning Irish, and I want to make some local friends. It's a beautiful city, but everything is embellished with company! I know the pub is a very social scene, but it's a bit awkward to go up to random people and ask if they speak Irish. (I am also shy at times!)

Does anyone want to meet up for a pint/coffee/tea/scone or just a laugh? Hope to hear from some of ye!

-Danielle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Check out Arus na nGeal. Its a little centre/bar beside the Arts Centre on Domnick Street. The staff all speak Irish and its appreciated if everybody tries out any Irish they know.
    I think its only open at nighttime. Think they also do classes.
    Enjoy your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dia duit a chara!

As well as Árus na nGael, the university might run something like that. I've no idea where to go or who to ask unfortunately.
    I also found this list which might be some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

NUIG Students' Union has conversation circles (from beginner to advanced) and non students are welcome.
    Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you've mastered the written part then you can join in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Malice wrote: »
    Dia duit a chara!

As well as Árus na nGael, the university might run something like that. I've no idea where to go or who to ask unfortunately.
    I also found this list which might be some help.

The porter's office is usually the best place to ask for something in the college, but drop into Áras na Gaeilge to see if the cafe is still open - there'll surely be a notice board up.

http://nuigalway.ie/campus-map/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

biko wrote: »
    If you've mastered the written part then you can join in here.
    Don't forget to use the AltGr + vowel combination to get the fadas to display: áéíóú :).

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I speak Irish fluently and am happy to meet up for a chat sometime.Few of my friends talk a bit too but are beginners like yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Conradh na Gaeilge run informal conversation groups. https://cnag.ie/index.php?page=feachtais&campaign_id=22

• Registered Users Posts: 11 inesosull

Hi I am living out in Invern trying to learn Irish. Just wondering is there anyone out there interested in meeting up to practice their Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Indrebhán is not in Galway town :-|

• Advertisement

Yes I know but I often go into Galway town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Try arus na ngael on Dominic street!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Op what level of Irish do u have?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm merging this last thread with a similar thread from last year.
    Maybe we can get a conversation group going?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm in, so long as the group's meetings don't revolve solely around the pub, dry ****e that I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd give it a go too. I know a bit but am largely a beginner but ya gotta start somewhere (as long as the fluent speakers don't get too annoyed with us!).

sounds great! I have 'school' Irish and have been trying to learn it for a few months now so I'm far from fluent!! I'm free most weekends.

What would we talk about?
    An aimsir? drochchuma atá ar na cosáin? Saol is faisean aisteach Bhean Uí Bheoláin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm in, so long as the group's meetings don't revolve solely around the pub, dry ****e that I am.

Yeah. Somewhere that is both booze and non booze friendly to suit all, all I can think of is Java's at night? Anywhere else that is not pub vibe heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Of all towns in Ireland, Galway is the best for speaking Irish. Which is ironic given it's English influence.

I have never been anywhere in Ireland where I hear so many casually speaking Irish. But don't worry about your lack of ability. Everyone will drift in and out of Irish and allow for your inability.

Don't feel inadequate or embarrassed. Particularly being American because most of us Irish are just as bad.

I have several in laws who are utterly fluent. Not to mention my wife. They never try to make me feel bad. I do anyway but it's not their fault.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    What would we talk about?
    An aimsir? drochchuma atá ar na cosáin? Saol is faisean aisteach Bhean Uí Bheoláin?
    Cad faoi a labhreofá trí Bhéarla?
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Yeah. Somewhere that is both booze and non booze friendly to suit all, all I can think of is Java's at night? Anywhere else that is not pub vibe heavy.
    Java's has gone to **** since they did it up. They close sillilly early and serve only crepes, it seems.
    I'm grand with a pub - preferably one that does food though.

Probably not to everyone's taste, but there's a few of us from the college heading to the Asian Lounge on Thursday at 8 for cards, chess and go trí Ghaeilge, if anyone wants to drop by. It should be fairly obvious who we are...

Cad faoi a labhreofá trí Bhéarla?

Java's has gone to **** since they did it up. They close sillilly early and serve only crepes, it seems.
    I'm grand with a pub - preferably one that does food though.

Probably not to everyone's taste, but there's a few of us from the college heading to the Asian Lounge on Thursday at 8 for cards, chess and go trí Ghaeilge, if anyone wants to drop by. It should be fairly obvious who we are...

I was in Java's recently and it was grand, but I was having a crepe and it was the daytime! A pub with food is grand.

Cards/chess as Gaeilge might be too much for my brain, and smoke might come out my ears trying to concentrate on TWO things, but I'd be up for another meet so please keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Indrebhán is not in Galway town :-|

Ni duirt se go bhfuil An Indreabhan i gCathair na Gaillimhe. Bhi dha comhraite curtha le cheile. Feach ar na datai.

He didn't say Inverin is in Galway City. Two threads were merged. Look at the dates.

kraggy wrote: »
    Ni duirt se go bhfuil An Indreabhan i gCathair na Gaillimhe. Bhi dha comhraite curtha le cheile. Feach ar na datai.
    He didn't say Inverin is in Galway City. Two threads were merged. Look at the dates.
    I pósted that póst béfore the thréád was merged *smug*
    Chun fadaí a úsáid, brú AltGr is an guta

Cards/chess as Gaeilge might be too much for my brain
    Ah now.
    Rí, Banríon, Caisleán, Easpag, Ridire, Ceithearnach, a few numbers, and you're sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I pósted that póst béfore the thréád was merged *smug*
    Chun fadaí a úsáid, brú AltGr is an guta

Scríobh mé an píosa sin ar m'iphón. Os rud é sin, d'fhoghlaim go dtugann an iphón rogha duit chun aithruithe a dhéanamh don litir agus fada nó "accent" a chur os a chionn, nó thíos é, ag brath ar an teanga atá tú á scríobh.

Níl agam ach nokia 3410 :)

Ah now.
    Rí, Banríon, Caisleán, Easpag, Ridire, Ceithearnach, a few numbers, and you're sorted.

Can't play chess, but proud of meself that I only had to look up one of those terms!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Can't play chess, but proud of meself that I only had to look up one of those terms!:D
    Native speaker and I'm looking up Ceithearnach myself after I type this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

So anything happening? I've been away but am back in the city from tomorrow. Any meet ups happening?

Advertisement