Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2 advice

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭

I just started playing this today, I dont have a clue of what Im doing thou lol

Its not somthing I usally play coming from a background of cod and bf

Does anyone have any helpful videos?

Can you upgrade your guns or how does that work?

Why do I have to right click after I scroll to change guns?

And a host of other questions

Basically TF2 for dummies is what I need lol

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Welcome to TF2, you're in for a treat.
    HL2 era source games let you scroll to select your weapon but click to select. This made sense in HL2 when you had lots of weapons. You can turn it off in the settings. Also Q let's you switch back and forth between your current and last weapon quickly.

You can't upgrade your weapons like on CoDField, you can unlock new weapons by earning achievements and more recently by trading/buying/crafting them or via random drops. The new weapons don't change the balance of the game really, they merely provide more options. There isn't a better rocket launcher, but there is a faster one that does less damage.

The various classes are great. They are all amazingly balanced. Sniper vs spy, engie vs demo (or spy), slow heavy vs fast weak scout...

Start with soldier perhaps. Aim for the feet and finish your opponent off with a second rocket when they are about to land. Learn to rocket jump. hold crouch as you hit space to get extra air.

Also try out the medic class, heal your teammates to build up your ubercharge, once full you and the teammate you're currently can become invincible with a right click for 10 seconds. This works very well with a heavy or a pyro but not so well with scout.

Spy is a tough class for newbies, but one if the most rewarding. Pyro is easy to play but hard to master.

I must really get back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Headshot wrote: »
    I just started playing this today, I dont have a clue of what Im doing thou lol

Its not somthing I usally play coming from a background of cod and bf
    Welcome to one of the best games ever :D , Payload is the best gametype btw ;)
    Does anyone have any helpful videos?
    There are plenty on youtube, but you need to remember there are 9 classes, and each has its advantages and disadvantages and is countered by another class ,I'll try sum them up briefly
    Can you upgrade your guns or how does that work?
    You don't upgrade your weapons per-se, you can build them, or you get random drops. But none are so special or much better in any way than the stock ones you are given. You can also purchase them via the valve store.
    Why do I have to right click after I scroll to change guns?
    You don't...and a lot of guns have an alternate fire via Right Click.
    Heavys gun rotates the barrel, stickys for the demo
    Suggest you use the 1 + 2 + 3 number keys though
    And a host of other questions

Basically TF2 for dummies is what I need lol

For classes I mentioned above

Heavy - has the most health , slow but powerful , excellent vrs Scouts and most classes. Usually paired with a medic

Medic - Heals the team, increases the health of the person he is healing to 150% (so a heavy partner goes from 300 -> 450 health), also gets Ubercharge (invincibility , deployed with Right Click) after a certain amount of healing

Scout - Low health, very quick, can double jump, use to capture bases 2x quick and to harass medics and snipers

Sniper - obvious , headshot heavies etc

Solider - Standard attack/defense class , decent health, can rocket jump everywhere. Probably your best bet at the start.

Demo - Great attack / defense , can use stickies as traps

Engineer - used to build Sentry guns , teleporters and health dispensers, can be sapped by Spys though if left unattended

Spy - can disguise as member of opposite team, hardest class to master, succeptible to Pyro's fire. Used to take out snipers and destroy engy equipment

Pyro - sets everyone on fire, spycheck around engy equipment

That's a brieft overview without getting too detailed. I belive they also have a quick tutorial ingame now, so you can play vrs bots and learn to use each class.
    Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

You can turn it off in the settings.
    Just to elaborate on this - it should be under Controls -> Advanced -> check Fast Weapon Switch.

Soldier (as 5uspect said), Demoman and Medic (IMO) are rather good classes to start playing with. The Demoman can be tricky to get accustomed to, due to the behaviour of the primary weapon projectiles, but it's really fun (as are the other classes :pac: ) and stickies are incredibly fun, especially if you're trying to bounce Ubercharged medics around.

Despite the lack of offensive power (although, in a pinch, the Medic's weapon isn't dreadful so you can attempt to defend yourself), the Medic's exceptionally fun IMO and, as you would probably guess, can be an amazing asset to the team (provided they're healing, ofc :P). It can be pretty challenging, especially in big fights and/or when spies are crawling around, but a good Ubercharge (coming face-to-face with an invicible Heavy can be pretty distressing stuff) can be suitably rewarding for your efforts :D

The official Wiki also has plenty of information on all the classes (including a rough idea of how to play each class), the weapons, the hats and just about everything else in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Ideally just start playing around, you'll start to get weapon drops as you play which will allow you to start diversifying.

Start with some official Valve servers before moving onto custom servers where the dynamics of the game can change significantly depending on how they are set up - for example insta-respawn, 32 player servers are just a complete spamfest compared to normal respawn, 24 player servers.
    5uspect wrote: »
    The new weapons don't change the balance of the game really, they merely provide more options. There isn't a better rocket launcher, but there is a faster one that does less damage.

You been living under a rock? :P

Unfortunately some of the alternative weapons are actually slightly overpowered compared to their stock counterparts. Medic and Pyro melee weapons are more powerful and/or have additional effects than their stock counterparts (Powerjack, Third Degree, Amputator and Solemn Vow are prime examples!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What im finding is I keep firing into the enemies with the bazooka and getting nowhere ya know. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

What im finding is I keep firing into the enemies with the bazooka and getting nowhere ya know. Very frustrating

Well, stuff doesn't exactly insta-kill y'know - unless you're Sniper headshotting, Spy backstabbing, or getting crits :rolleyes:

Every weapon (bar a few) has damage drop-off over distance. So while a rocket up close will deal around 110 damage, at longer ranges, it's only going to do about 30 or so. And you need to consider the enemy health as well. Average is 150HP, but overheal will also give them an additional temporary +50% boost.

I haven't played much in over a year so some of the community weapons may be OP alright.

Unlike a lot of modern shooters you're quite strong in TF2. A single rocket will generally not kill. You have to aim for the feet to launch your opponent into the air and hit him again as he lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

When I first started playing TF2 it took me ages to even get a kill. Just stick with it and you'll be fine ya noob :P

• Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love to get going to rocket jumps

finding it very hard at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was thinking of picking up The Orange Box (this'll be the fourth time I've owned it I think) on PS3 mainly because I want to play Portal again. Love TF2 though. Last time I played though it was pretty ruined with people using glitches and cheats and stuff (Sentry guns floating in the air, walking through walls etc). Has this been fixed or anything? Wouldn't mind playing it again too

I love to get going to rocket jumps

finding it very hard at the moment

You playing with anyone, or any vent or TS ?
    If you want I can show ye the ropes on some servers if needed ;)

My steam is CTASeantheMan

I've not played since BF3 came out, but I'll dust off the old weapons if ye need a hand ;) :cool:

Fixed on PS3? I think the PS3 version of the Orange Box has more or less been abandoned unfortunately. Why not get it on PC? TF2 might need a bit of optimisation but Portal is pretty easy to run even on a single core crap box.

Basic rocket jumping is pretty easy. Hit space right as you shoot down with your launcher. Crouch to add extra height. Timing is the issue. You can also sticky jump in a similar way but by placing the stickies behind you a few feet you can control your trajectory.

Anyone interested in getting a few boardsies together tonight for a new rounds? We can all play against Headshot so he learns faster! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I would love to play it, never could get into it though. Found it far too difficult, got hammered online, and the respawn times are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

5uspect wrote: »
    Fixed on PS3? I think the PS3 version of the Orange Box has more or less been abandoned unfortunately. Why not get it on PC? TF2 might need a bit of optimisation but Portal is pretty easy to run even on a single core crap box.

Only have a laptop and don't use it for gaming. No desk for a mouse and stuff, plus just never enjoyed any game I did play on PC (as in using keyboard and mouse. Just never liked it)

Penn wrote: »
    Only have a laptop and don't use it for gaming. No desk for a mouse and stuff, plus just never enjoyed any game I did play on PC (as in using keyboard and mouse. Just never liked it)

For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Superdoog

A little movie i made based on team fortress 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_gAjloSVg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Penn wrote: »
    I was thinking of picking up The Orange Box (this'll be the fourth time I've owned it I think) on PS3 mainly because I want to play Portal again. Love TF2 though. Last time I played though it was pretty ruined with people using glitches and cheats and stuff (Sentry guns floating in the air, walking through walls etc). Has this been fixed or anything? Wouldn't mind playing it again too

Don't know about the PS3 but the last time I was playing TF2 regularly on the 360 in the Summer people were still glitching and setting up modded games so if they've not bothered securing one console I'd doubt they're bothering with the other. Used to be still enough people online to always find a full unmodded lobby though.

It's a PC game really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Superdoog

Valve dont patch the console versions thats why its full of glitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_gAjloSVg

• Advertisement
Advertisement