Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaints procedure

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

What's the procedure for complaining about a lecturer?
    I've one who the whole class agrees is useless. Our class rep brought it up with our co-ordinator and was shot down.
    What's the next step or is there one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

By coordinater, do you mean your course chair?
    What course/campus is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

I don't think so, what's a course chair?
    At the start of year we were assigned a course co-ordinator if we had any issues we could bring to him. Above him I think we can bring problems directly to the head of department but I'm not sure.
    It's one of the electronic courses at Kevin St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Forget about it. I know people who have complained endlessly about a lecturer for the last 4 to 6 years and absolutely nothing has been done about it.

Save yourself the time and energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

similar on my course, useless lecturer, eventually about 1/3+ failed, head of schools jaw nearly dropped as we told em in a class meeting with lecturer in tow how goal posts move (without being told and not denied) etc. there is still students he is screwing over and not answering emails from anyone (students/head of school) yet no word of getting fired.
    you can complain and id do it throught the channels (year co ordinator, head of school, department head) but nothing will happen. id anything were to ever happen it wont be from DIT pressure. save your energy unless you are really up for a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I have a lecturer in Finance who is Useless , it would not surprise me if this thread was about him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Judging by some of the replies here maybe this would be an issue worth taking up with the people who will be running for the various SU positions in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Judging by some of the replies here maybe this would be an issue worth taking up with the people who will be running for the various SU positions in the coming weeks.
    Good idea I had a lecturer up untill Christmas. The first thing he did when he me us the first time was cut the amount of contact hours that students had from him from four to two and the amount of lab groups that he was taking from 4 to three.

We had our exam this week and there was very little that we had covered on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Good idea I had a lecturer up untill Christmas. The first thing he did when he me us the first time was cut the amount of contact hours that students had from him from four to two and the amount of lab groups that he was taking from 4 to three.

We had our exam this week and there was very little that we had covered on it.
    I know how you feel. One of our lecturers has missed more lectures than he's been at. Luck enough the exam wasn't that bad, but its still not on like.

That said the rest of our lecturers are excellent, so were lucky enough its only the one bad egg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Certainly a major negative of Social Partnership over the last decade is how well protected teachers are at both Second and Third level. I certainly wouldn't be quiet about it if you're unhappy with a lecturer. Unfortunately, as been pointed out, results are hard to come by and will require a lot of persistence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

Marenghi wrote: »
    What's the procedure for complaining about a lecturer?
    I've one who the whole class agrees is useless. Our class rep brought it up with our co-ordinator and was shot down.
    What's the next step or is there one?

Hi..
    you will be wasting your time as departments do not like to accept responsibility for anything and it is corrupt as there is no proper outside college monitoring done for courses or lecturers. I took my issue as far as the highest it could go in the college as hetac told me and the minister for education told me it was up to the college to sort it out so I knew the college would never let me be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I would strongly advice against people signing a letter complaining against a lecturer. I have had difficulty with a lecturer in the past but there was little my class could do about the lecturer.
    My advice is to let your head of department know about your difficulty. That way when results come out you have a case if you did badly.
    There is nothing the student union can do about it.
    Because of the TUI it is very difficult to get rid of a lecturer even if they are useless.

Advertisement