Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berberis or Pyracantha?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I want to plant a hedge to keep out dogs and have settled on either berberis darwinii or pyracantha as both have the sharp thorns. I wonder what are the pros and cons for either of them? I think berberis seems to be less prone to pests and diseases. Also does pyracantha have to be trained up a wire/fence (I have a wooden stud fence and I don't want to start putting nails etc. into it)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

pyracantha would work better. grows more like a tree and can be trained to grow like a hedge plus the spikes are a lot longer than that of berberis. I would think a dog might not mind the thorns of it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My personal choice would be for the berberis for that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Robin1

bartlguy wrote: »
    pyracantha would work better. grows more like a tree and can be trained to grow like a hedge plus the spikes are a lot longer than that of berberis. I would think a dog might not mind the thorns of it too much.

bartlguy, do you mean the dog mightn't mind the thorns of the berberis too much, but it would mind the pyracantha ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Robin1

looksee wrote: »
    My personal choice would be for the berberis for that situation.

looksee, any particular reasons why you would choose berberis over pyracantha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

believe me it would ewant to be one determined dog to get through either of those once they are established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Robin1 wrote: »
    looksee, any particular reasons why you would choose berberis over pyracantha?

Just my opinion, but I like the look of the berberis leaves and flowers, and it grows/can be trimmed into a nice bush. I haven't seen pyracantha grown into an unsupported bush, so I am not sure how successful it would be. I like both bushes but I think berberis would suit the situation better.

Alternatively you can use a product called 'get off' which is a gel that you spread around the are and it lets off a scent to which deters cats and dogs etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bartlguy wrote: »
    Alternatively you can use a product called 'get off' which is a gel that you spread around the are and it lets off a scent to which deters cats and dogs etc

Does this actually work,or is it more of a gimmick and "false claim" product??:confused:

Well there are a whole series of them available in woodies or atlantic or homebase so i reckon the myth might be true. One thing i can tell you is they aren't made by Jml

Advertisement