Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wait for your cent?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I bought something in a newsagents today for 9.99. I gave the guy behind the counter a tenner and waited for my cent. After a few seconds of waiting he gave me an "oh yeah...sorry" look and reached into the till and gave me my cent change. On my way home I got to thinking...maybe a lot of people don't bother to wait for their cent. Maybe other people would rather get to where they are going quicker than wait for their cent change. I know that Sweden and Finland don't even produce these for circulation with only a few available to cater to the coin collection market.

So my question is...Am I the only one waiting for their cent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Always do. Straight into the charity box with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not normally in a convenience store or whatever. But if Im a cent or two short I do the reverse.
    Same in my local pubs if the loose change is 5 or 10 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

I´m glad Sweden don´t circulate them , as the Swedes would probably be quite confused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Yes, I expect to receive my change. And I expect to get my till receipt. In most shops, you get them together. [I have an image of being challenged by security when leaving a shop, and not having any proof that I paid for the goods.]

I often notice people not picking up their change, or bothering to retrieve coins that they have dropped. We still have some wispy ghosts of the Celtic tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Really depends on the attitude of the person behind the till. If it's some lazy cow with a vacant expression and chewing gum then, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I did this earlier today ...got some weird looks from others in the queue & the guy behind the counter laughed as if I'd obviously miscalculated the change due.

It's not the value but the fact that it's my cent! What next, 'oh you're waiting on your fiver?!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Always wait for my change no matter how small, save everything smaller than a € in a bag and cash them in at the end of the month, you'd be surprised how much it adds up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

no. only if it's something i want a receipt for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It does annoy me though if Im somewhere that doesnt know me and they say 'Ill owe you a cent'. My reply to that is 'give me a 2cent and Ill owe you one'.
    That usually throws them :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Swampy wrote: »
    Always do. Straight into the charity box with it.

And the charity box gets emptied into the till when full :o :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Not in my local shop because I know that if I'm ever short they won't make a big song and dance over it but shops that I know wouldn't let me off with a cent I wait for it on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I always wait for mine, and I pick them up off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I always wait for the change, but I must be the only person in the world who hands the petrol station guy €20.04 for my petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Always wait for my change no matter how small, save everything smaller than a € in a bag and cash them in at the end of the month, you'd be surprised how much it adds up to

I'd be very surprised if it added up to more than you put in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I took a product back to Lidl recently and it was 59.99 and she gave me €60 and asked for a cent, now that was cheeky seeing as she didn't have the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I always wait for the change, but I must be the only person in the world who hands the petrol station guy €20.04 for my petrol.

I filled my car up in my local garage, I used them all the time and it came to €80.02 and I gave the checkout assistant 100 - she gave me back €19.98, although this is technically right it was extremely petty. I gave them another chance but this time it was €70.01, again they gave me back €9.99 from the €80. Needless to say I don't use them anymore and never will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

RoboRat wrote: »
    I filled my car up in my local garage, I used them all the time and it came to €80.02 and I gave the checkout assistant 100 - she gave me back €19.98, although this is technically right it was extremely petty. I gave them another chance but this time it was €70.01, again they gave me back €9.99 from the €80. Needless to say I don't use them anymore and never will again.

Whoa whoa whoa, this logic is completely backwards to me. I expect to pay the full amount and am very grateful of the goodwill gesture when they let me off the couple of pennies. If you paid by laser or cc you would get no such discount. You now avoid a shop because they charged you what you owe them :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Are you for real?? You dont use them because they charge you the amount you used? Also how are the ''technically'' right? Thats how much it costs! This is like people with the ESB when they make a show over them looking for money that they are owed

Yes I am for real, when I bought food, milk sandwiches etc in the same shop and it came to 1, 2 or 5 cent under the euro I left it with them - I was a regular customer and they knew me.

Its a cent for christ sake. I worked in a garage for 3 years when I was in college and it was never an issue as long as customers didn't take the piss - ie going 10 cent over etc. Most garages still do this and its not an issue for them because they don't want to annoy their customers by giving them a ton of change.
    This is like people with the ESB when they make a show over them looking for money that they are owed

No its not, thats dodging a bill. Its a given that working a pump, especially one that is delivering petrol quite fast is not that easy to get it spot on. They have abandoned the days of 'service' for 'self service' so there has to be a little give and take when dispensing petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I always wait for it.
    Had it recently were i was told they didn't have any cents.

When I said to give me 2 cents I was old she couldn't as her till would be down.
    She eventually made a song and dance and go her purse to give me a cent back.

Needless to say, I took it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

NO.

In Australia it's no good waiting, as we don't have one or two cent pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thats just silly, if you want paper change then just fill the car to a round number.

Why not go and beat the crap out of a Card Machine.

Yes I am for real, when I bought food, milk sandwiches etc in the same shop and it came to 1, 2 or 5 cent under the euro I left it with them - I was a regular customer and they knew me.

Its a cent for christ sake. I worked in a garage for 3 years when I was in college and it was never an issue as long as customers didn't take the piss - ie going 10 cent over etc. Most garages still do this and its not an issue for them because they don't want to annoy their customers by giving them a ton of change.

Its not there problem if you let them change now is it? Just because you do that they should let you off why? What difference should you being a regular customer make?? If its only a cent why are you so p***** off about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Well I always wait for mine because i work in a shop and if the person doesn't take the change with them then the till is left over and the end of the night and our rules are that the float has to be exact and anything over be it 10c or 10e has to be declared and sent to head office. This requires a pain in the arse change in the paperwork.

To the person who was offended by the shop assistant asking for the remaining amount i can imagine it is a till issue as well. If the till is down even a few cent it has to be declared. Then note on file says: xxx till down by x amount.

It might be silly and personally I think it is and it would be solved by a charity box (not allowed though!). Or a 'take a penny leave a penny tray'!!

Thats just silly, if you want paper change then just fill the car to a round number.

Easier said than done with some of the pumps. The petrol flies out of them and even when you try, its next to impossible to get it spot on. Please note this is only SOME pumps, most are fine and I don't have an issue with getting it on the mark.
    If its only a cent why are you so p***** off about it?

Im pissed off about having a pocket full of change that I don't want weighing my pockets down.

This pisses me off and obviously some of you penny pinching misers seem to think it unacceptable to not get your cent back, personally I don't give a toss. Its not a by-product of the celtic tiger, it just doesn't bother me as its an insignificant sum of money IMO. I would do about 5 transactions a week (give or take) so over a year that's about €2.60 (if all transactions came in at 99 cent, which they don't), so its not worth the time IMO.
    Its not there problem if you let them change now is it

Im not asking anyone to change, nor am I stopping them? I also never referred to a place, where is there?
    Just because you do that they should let you off why?

Punctuation, helps. Just because you do that, should they let you off? why?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't usually wait, or I just say "it's fine" and walk off. But it bugs me when some assistants doesn't even bother giving it back.

Let's say you get 200 customers a day, that's only 2 euro but in the long run... we're talking free pints at the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Easier said than done with some of the pumps. The petrol flies out of them and even when you try, its next to impossible to get it spot on. Please note this is only SOME pumps, most are fine and I don't have an issue with getting it on the mark.
    Do you ask your mobile phone provider to let you off some money too when your phone won't hang up on a call for a couple of seconds?

I do agree that in some cases a pump will jump by 2c instead of 1c no matter how lightly you touch the handle (this is down to the way it's being calculated), but ultimately it's still petrol you've taken. It's in your tank, so why shouldn't you pay for it on principle?

If you're worried about having a pocket full of change, then keep a few coppers in the car. If the pump goes over, grab a 1c coin and hand it over.

Do you ask your mobile phone provider to let you off some money too when your phone won't hang up on a call for a couple of seconds?

WTF? What is it with these inane comparisons... they make absolutely no sense? What next, do I get annoyed with the chipper if he puts in a few less chips than last time? Do I get annoyed the the barman if my pint isn't exactly filled to the top? No and no.

I think its petty when a garage, after just putting 80 euros into their till (and about 3500 over a year, in fuel ALONE) finds it necessary to give you a pocket full of change. If you don't agree then fine but I, as in me, am not bothered to go there again. Every other garage is happy to work to this attitude so I am happy to go to those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I give even the one cent if I go over, do most people not?

• Advertisement

WTF? What is it with these inane comparisons... they make absolutely no sense? What next, do I get annoyed with the chipper if he puts in a few less chips than last time? Do I get annoyed the the barman if my pint isn't exactly filled to the top? No and no.

I think its petty when a garage, after just putting 80 euros into their till (and about 3500 over a year, in fuel ALONE) finds it necessary to give you a pocket full of change. If you don't agree then fine but I, as in me, am not bothered to go there again. Every other garage is happy to work to this attitude so I am happy to go to those places.

I wouldn't be surprised....

Advertisement