Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wait for your cent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The smallest coin in NZ is 10c as they use swedish rounding. It took me a while to get used to it and I used to stand there and wait for my change when none was forthcoming!

At home I do wait though. If everyone did that then over a year the cents would add up for the shop! I'd rather have it and put it in the charity box, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

RoboRat wrote: »
    I filled my car up in my local garage, I used them all the time and it came to €80.02 and I gave the checkout assistant 100 - she gave me back €19.98, although this is technically right it was extremely petty. I gave them another chance but this time it was €70.01, again they gave me back €9.99 from the €80. Needless to say I don't use them anymore and never will again.
    Im pissed off about having a pocket full of change that I don't want weighing my pockets down.

This pisses me off and obviously some of you penny pinching misers seem to think it unacceptable to not get your cent back, personally I don't give a toss.

But if you waited for you change of 1 or 2 cents, you'd have a few in your pocket so when filling up at the petrol station you could pay the €80.02 in full and you won't have a pocket full of change. ;)1 and 2 cents won't weigh you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I wouldn't be surprised....

Because you know me so well.
    But if you waited for you change of 1 or 2 cents, you'd have a few in your pocket so when filling up at the petrol station you could pay the €80.02 in full and you won't have a pocket full of change.

Its not an issue in any other garage I go to; that's why I will go to these garages as they seem to grasp the concept that people sometimes go over and its petty to charge them 1 cent over.
    1 and 2 cents won't weigh you down

Erm they do if you have lots of them? Anyhow, I could have received 1 x 20 note or what they gave me back which consisted of 4 x euro coins, 1 x 50 cent, 2 x twenty cent, one x five cent and one x 2 cent and 1 x cent coin.

End of the day, I have no problem paying over when I am paying by Visa/laser. For convenience, most garages will leave you off when paying in cash - that's my experience anyhow and every other garage I have used and went slightly over have shown a bit of cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Its not an issue in any other garage I go to; that's why I will go to these garages as they seem to grasp the concept that people sometimes go over and its petty to charge them 1 cent over.

Erm they do if you have lots of them? Anyhow, I could have received 1 x 20 note or what they gave me back which consisted of 4 x euro coins, 1 x 50 cent, 2 x twenty cent, one x five cent and one x 2 cent and 1 x cent coin.

End of the day, I have no problem paying over when I am paying by Visa/laser. For convenience, most garages will leave you off when paying in cash - that's my experience anyhow and every other garage I have used and went slightly over have shown a bit of cop on.

I still think this has to be a piss take! You'd giving out because your charged for something you've used it may onlt be 1/2 cent but you still used it. Just because anyone other garage you've gone to have let you off (something i find highly unlikely) why should this one?

Id feel sorry for some one whos so thight with money that they have to worry about (a) Not getting a cent back and (b) having to pay an extra cent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have a solution for the pumps that constantly slip 2 or 4 cents over. Instead of trying to squeeze in the last few cents to make an even amount just stop at €19.80, €49.94 or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I have a solution for the pumps that constantly slip 2 or 4 cents over. Instead of trying to squeeze in the last few cents to make an even amount just stop at €19.80, €49.94 or whatever.

How about you just fill the car and pay with card.

I haven't tried this getting a round number thing into the car in years.

And since it pay for everything by card my online banking arranges all my fuel purchases into my financial planner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I wait for my receipt, the cent is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is more to life than worrying about a filling station being particular down to the last cent.

If I switch my supplier because he wants to four cents on a fill coming to €60.04, I might be asked for €63.00 for the same amount of fuel at the next station.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I haven't tried this getting a round number thing into the car in years.

And since it pay for everything by card my online banking arranges all my fuel purchases into my financial planner.

Yes of course. I should have been more specific, my solution applies only to people who have to or choose to pay by cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I filled my car up in my local garage, I used them all the time and it came to €80.02 and I gave the checkout assistant 100 - she gave me back €19.98, although this is technically right it was extremely petty. I gave them another chance but this time it was €70.01, again they gave me back €9.99 from the €80. Needless to say I don't use them anymore and never will again.
    I agree we're talking about goodwill and not making a monetary issue. I too would be inclined to favour a business that didn't fuss over a few cents if it meant I didn't have to walk out the door pockets rattling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 itsyuranan

Always do. Even if I paid the correct amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

itsyuranan wrote: »
    Always do. Even if I paid the correct amount.

tumblr_lusgdzjcAB1qekwbg.png

I still think this has to be a piss take! You'd giving out because your charged for something you've used it may onlt be 1/2 cent but you still used it. Just because anyone other garage you've gone to have let you off (something i find highly unlikely) why should this one?

Unlikely? Do you actually drive? Every other garage I have used wouldn't dream of doing that. I started a thread in the motors forum and there are a lot of people who agree with me (a lot who don't too, but I'm not alone!)
    Id feel sorry for some one whos so thight with money that they have to worry about (a) Not getting a cent back and (b) having to pay an extra cent

Listin, dont feal sorry for me, ill get buy.

How am I tight, did you actually read my posts? I have already said that I'm not tight fisted and I dont care about cents etc.

I do 90% of the time and I don't give a fiddlers if they add it on then, I actually expect it.

Or just go to another garage that's not as petty... they're very easy to find!

How am I tight, did you actually read my posts? I have already said that I'm not tight fisted and I dont care about cents etc.
    That's boards for ya. People see what they want to see. I agree with you completely. Taking €30.01 out of a €50 note is pointless, inconvenient and completely petty. I hate when businesses do it.

Unlikely? Do you actually drive? Every other garage I have used wouldn't dream of doing that. I started a thread in the motors forum and there are a lot of people who agree with me (a lot who don't too, but I'm not alone!)

Listin, dont feal sorry for me, ill get buy.

I do actually and alot more charge when you go over then when you dont. Yes i did read them your giving out about being charged a cent if thats not being tight then i dont know what is.

Again if you dont care about cents why are you going on a rant about it?

MyKeyG wrote: »
    That's boards for ya. People see what they want to see. I agree with you completely. Taking €30.01 out of a €50 note is pointless, inconvenient and completely petty. I hate when businesses do it.

How is it petty for a business to want money for something you've used? People may say now its only one cent next they'll want to be let off 5 cent then 10 cent and so on

lala88 wrote: »
    How is it petty for a business to want money for something you've used? People may say now its only one cent next they'll want to be let off 5 cent then 10 cent and so on
    You're really not paying attention are you?
    We're talking about choosing a business that does not fuss over 1 cent. Getting back €19.99 is a monumental pain in the hole therefore I would return to a garage that doesn't split hairs.
    Besides you're quite incorrect when you say it's a charge for something that's been used. The machines aren't that accurate. No one can say that that cent of petrol went into your car. A good business will use it's discretion and not make a big deal over the cent and therefore not break your cash. There's nothing worse than walking around with a wallet full of shrapnel.

You're really not paying attention are you?
    We're talking about choosing a business that does not fuss over 1 cent. Getting back €19.99 is a monumental pain in the hole therefore I would return to a garage that doesn't split hairs.
    Besides you're quite incorrect when you say it's a charge for something that's been used. The machines aren't that accurate. No one can say that that cent of petrol went into your car. A good business will use it's discretion and not make a big deal over the cent and therefore not break your cash. There's nothing worse than walking around with a wallet full of shrapnel.

Its a business there not there to let you off even if its a cent! If they were to let everyone off a cent it would all add up and could lose a nice bit at the end of the year. So why then should they let people off just because they dont like having change?

So why then should they let people off just because they dont like having change?
    Because many others do. My local shop does. And that my friend is the real smart business!!! That's what you don't seem to get. Let's say I'm a customer and you're the business man. You're asking if I'm really willing to go somewhere else over a cent. My question is are you really willing to lose business over one?

I would say the cents they let off are more than compensated for with the change they keep.

Because many others do. My local shop does. And that my friend is the real smart business!!! That's what you don't seem to get. Let's say I'm a customer and you're the business man. You're asking if I'm really willing to go somewhere else over a cent. My question is are you really willing to lose business over one?

I would say the cents they let off are more than compensated for with the change they keep.

Just because other do that doesn't mean everywhere should! Thats there problem if they let people off but just because one place does it why should anothers feel they should have to aswell?

If it was your business you'd be fine with lets just say letting 200 people off a cent everyday? Thats €2 every day €14 every week and so on it would all add up at the end of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I was in a shop today and bought a pack of gum the price displayed was 58c and the girl at the till charged me 59c, I handed over 60c and she was looking at me like 'do you really want your 1c change?' As I walked by I doubled checked the price and it was 58c.
    I was so annoyed about it, I think what stopped me from pulling her up was there was no-one else in the queue to listen to my rant. No point in getting onto your soap box if you don't have an audience.
    Having thought about it more it now seems like I was over charged and made to feel cheep for wanting my correct change, I'm still scratching my head wondering how I let that go.
    If any one want to know where the shop is, its the big one just off the main st in Wexford town. Glad I got that off my chest:D:D:D

Just because other do that doesn't mean everywhere should! Thats there problem if they let people off but just because one place does it why should anothers feel they should have to aswell?

If it was your business you'd be fine with lets just say letting 200 people off a cent everyday? Thats €2 every day €14 every week and so on it would all add up at the end of the day
    Oh my good god:rolleyes: I didn't say that just because some do everyone should. I said it was smart business. Do you make up your own interpretation in every post you read? Some do some don't, that's their choice that's their right. I'm merely saying that I would choose to go to a business that doesn't make you walk out the door with a load of change for the sake of a cent!!!

Any chance you got it this time?

Oh my good god:rolleyes: I didn't say that just because some do everyone should. I said it was smart business. Do you make up your own interpretation in every post you read? Some do some don't, that's their choice that's their right. I'm merely saying that I would choose to go to a business that doesn't make you walk out the door with a load of change for the sake of a cent!!!

Any chance you got it this time?

I dont understand how letting people off any amount is smart business. At the end of the day it has nothing to do with having a load of change its just people trying to get things for less no matter how little it might be and going on a rant when they dont get it

I dont understand how letting people off any amount is smart business. At the end of the day it has nothing to do with having a load of change its just people trying to get things for less no matter how little it might be and going on a rant when they dont get it
    To be honest this debate is just becoming monumentally boring. I have no intention wasting any more time fencing with you so I'll just say you're dead right, I'm dead wrong, congratulations you should be very proud:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

To be honest this debate is just becoming monumentally boring. I have no intention wasting any more time fencing with you so I'll just say you're dead right, I'm dead wrong, congratulations you should be very proud:rolleyes:

Grow up ya big baby

What do you not under about it not being smart business? If I buy something for say €1.95 I'm not going to stand waiting for my change unless I'm getting a receipt.

Now, If I run down to the corner shop for a tin of beans and it costs €1.05 and it only have €1 and the shop refuse to let me off, I'd be fairly pissed off and in the future if I had a choice between that shop and another one, would you be able to guess which one I would go to?

The money i have let shops off has been far greater than the money they let me off. But when I am genuinely stuck a few cents, I would expect to be let off. I would if I was the shopkeeper
    It's very little things that keep customers coming back to the same shop

Good night, this thread is getting too repetitive

the GALL wrote: »
    Grow up ya big baby
    Says the poster firing out childish admonitions. Have a look in the mirror buddy!

Anyway I'm tired of arguing with the inept. I'm outta here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

And yet looking for the €20.01 from a €29.99 transaction paid for with a €50 note isn't petty? That is the definition of a scab.

I do actually and alot more charge when you go over then when you dont. Yes i did read them your giving out about being charged a cent if thats not being tight then i dont know what is.

Again if you dont care about cents why are you going on a rant about it?

Dear Lord, I really don't know what to say. You are either an amazing troll or the most deluded person I have ever encountered. Anyhow, there is absolutely no point in continuing this debate as trying to interpret your posts is hurting my brain.

• Advertisement

All im going to say is i hope you dont own a business if your idea of good business is letting people off

Advertisement