Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wait for your cent?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hmm ... maybe they should do away with 1 and 2 cent coins altogether.

Works here in NL,

10.01 an 10.02 get rounded down to 10.00, 10.03 and 10.04 get rounded up to 10.05.

So paying in 10.02 in cash by default here means you get back a note, paying 10.03 means you get 9.95 change out of a twenty.

Unless you pay by card which means its the exact amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Two different things going on in this thread.

Started off about waiting for change if something is €9.99 or whatever. But then moved to creating a situation at petrol pumps by filling amounts like €20.02 or €30.04.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PGA0131911

RoboRat wrote: »
    I filled my car up in my local garage, I used them all the time and it came to €80.02 and I gave the checkout assistant 100 - she gave me back €19.98, although this is technically right it was extremely petty. I gave them another chance but this time it was €70.01, again they gave me back €9.99 from the €80. Needless to say I don't use them anymore and never will again.

you filled the amount not them?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think the RoboRat is quite the petty one here, and not the petrol station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

PGA0131911 wrote: »
    you filled the amount not them?????
    More often than not after filling your tank with €10/€20/€30 it rolls forward a few cents as you are replacing the nozzle. I would find a better solution is to pay in cash before you pump and that way it is up to the attendant to shut off the pump when you have the amount of fuel paid for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

foggy_lad wrote: »
    More often than not after filling your tank with €10/€20/€30 it rolls forward a few cents as you are replacing the nozzle. I would find a better solution is to pay in cash before you pump and that way it is up to the attendant to shut off the pump when you have the amount of fuel paid for!

Or as I said earlier just let the pump stop at €19.80, €29.94 or whatever and get a few coins in change. There is no reason that it has to be exactly 20 or 30going into your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

RoboRat wrote: »
    Unlikely? Do you actually drive? Every other garage I have used wouldn't dream of doing that. I started a thread in the motors forum and there are a lot of people who agree with me (a lot who don't too, but I'm not alone!)

Listin, dont feal sorry for me, ill get buy.

How am I tight, did you actually read my posts? I have already said that I'm not tight fisted and I dont care about cents etc.

I do 90% of the time and I don't give a fiddlers if they add it on then, I actually expect it.

Or just go to another garage that's not as petty... they're very easy to find!
    I actually agree with you and think they other posters are being fiercely unfair!

Sometimes I wait for my 1c. Sometimes I don't.

Sometimes I pay the 40.01 for petrol, sometimes I don't. I do if I'm paying laser. But, otherwise, I go in and say '40 petrol' and dump the 40 quid!

I don't see how tis a big deal, but change wise definitely makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I have noticed that Petrol stations normally dont ask for the extra cent if you go a bit over ie 40.02.
    On the same hand I notice that some people round it up and give you no change.
    I hate 1cents and 2 cents tyhey should really do away with them bloody nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You can be sure they would wait for there 2 cent change....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Personally I wait for my 1c change and receipt unless I'm in a hurry. It's not because I'm stingy or anything, I'm just exact. It's my 1c, and it's only going to mean their float is over if they keep it.

On the flipside, I also ALWAYS bring change to town with me, usually change of a fiver, roughly a €2, two €1s, 1 50c, a 20c, two 10cs, a 5c, a 2c and 3 1cs, or something to that effect. That way, when I'm doing my shopping (this doesn't apply to petrol as I don't drive), I nearly ALWAYS have the exact change over a fiver. If it's 12.47, I'll give them a tenner, a twenty, even a fifty, and then give them the 2.47. They get their money, I get my exact change and it's in notes. If I don't have it bang on, I round up a little and bam, a couple more small coins for reuse at a later stage, just like magic. Takes ten seconds of my time before I leave my apartment to grab a LIGHT handful of coins and chunk em in the wallet.

I agree getting 19.99 change is a monumental pain in the hole, whoever said it. That's why my solution is to NOT put the cashier in the position of having to choose whether to let you off or not (because I for one DESPISED being put in that position when *I* was a cashier myself, because I felt obliged to let people off 1, 2 or even 4 or 5 cents if they hadn't the cash on them, and it was MY float that was down money), and I bring a few coins with me. It's no hassle at all.

Anyone who reckons bringing a small handful of coins either in their pocket/wallet or in a tray in their car is a hassle really has life a bit too easy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I wait for my 1/2 cent. If they say they don't have the cent I'll let it go grand, but I wouldn't expect them to make that decision for me!

I worked in retail when the VAT went down a few years ago and we took that off the cost of clothes, so prices were coming up really awkwardly, we needed loads of ones and twos. And ran out really fast. Most people were ok with, leaving behind one to three cent, if it was three or four cent I'd give back five, eight cent I'd give back ten. It evened out I suppose!

One lady did wait 15 minutes while a staff member went around to other shops in the centre to swap 10 cent for one cent coins, just for her one cent coin change.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

I generally do out of habit, more so for the receipt as someone mentioned. If the retailer says they don't have the cent I tell them to leave it be, or if I'm in a rush.
    If it was 10c though, I think I'd wait ;)
    There have been plenty of times when my total was a couple of cent over the euro, and I always take a bit of change to make it handier eg if it's 11.04, I'll give 20 euro note plus the 5 or 10c so as their float isn't short :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Some immigrant shops are very slow with receipts and i've had to ask for them several times .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

paddyandy wrote: »
    Some immigrant shops are very slow with receipts and i've had to ask for them several times .

You can buy Immigrants now?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

paddyandy wrote: »

Immigants! I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

paddyandy I don't want any discussion of foreign nationalities on the thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I do wait for cents as I put all the odds in pots and use them when using the self service tills. It's might not seem much but I like to take the saying "look after the pennies.." literally :pac:

I was in a Vodafone stop a couple of weeks ago. The assistant had run out of change but just sai "I'll have to owe you the cent" and walked off. Was not going to chase her for a cent but also thought it was just a really sh!tty way to be about not giving you change ie your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

I give even the one cent if I go over, do most people not?

all the garages around here have signs saying that if its 30.02 the .02 still has to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pump yesterday jumped from 79.99 to 80.01. Guy seemed genuinely pleased that I gave him the one cent, even though he only asked for €80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I wish I had a pocket full of change!!
    I keep all my little centies in Bank Bags (20c downwards) and when they're all full, that's €28 for me. And you uppity people can look at that any way you want, most some weeks I am damned glad of it!

Advertisement