Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Rating when buying a house

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I am in the process of looking to buy a house and I think I have heard the craziest thing ever and was wondering if this was just me!!!

Saw a house and asked estate agent did she know the BER rating and she said the person selling the house has no interest doing a BER rating until the "Sale has been agreed". I asked why and she said it's alot of money and she cant afford it.

I have a few issues here:
    1) What happens if the house goes through "sale agreed" and then they decide not to do the BER rating or it turns up to be a poor BER rating.

2) surely it would help with the sale of the house if the person got it and it lasts for a year or so??

3) Do people actually want to sell their houses???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Faders

missyver wrote: »
    Hi

I am in the process of looking to buy a house and I think I have heard the craziest thing ever and was wondering if this was just me!!!

Saw a house and asked estate agent did she know the BER rating and she said the person selling the house has no interest doing a BER rating until the "Sale has been agreed". I asked why and she said it's alot of money and she cant afford it.

I have a few issues here:
    1) What happens if the house goes through "sale agreed" and then they decide not to do the BER rating or it turns up to be a poor BER rating.

2) surely it would help with the sale of the house if the person got it and it lasts for a year or so??

3) Do people actually want to sell their houses???

Hi there I'm pretty sure its a legal requirement to have it done! My solicitor wouldn't move forward with my propery purchase until the vendor confirmed the BER rating.. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

Faders wrote: »
    Hi there I'm pretty sure its a legal requirement to have it done! My solicitor wouldn't move forward with my propery purchase until the vendor confirmed the BER rating.. Hope this helps

Yea it seems crazy!!! I just thought it was nuts.

They dont want to spend money on it until sale is agreed (so I guess they wont want to spend the money unless your serious in buying) but say they paid the money and then the sale fell through!

I actually cant believe the estate agent seemed ok with that too! I asked them are they trying to sell the house or not!!! It seems so crazy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

And renting too - no one puts up their BER rating when advertising places for rent. I think its time the likes of daft added a BER section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

They are legally obliged to give you the BER rating when offering a house for sale or rent.

Extract from SI 666, 2006, listing when a BER cert has to be provided:
    A person who offers for sale or letting (whether in writing or otherwise)—
    (a) a building of a class referred to in subparagraph (a) or (b) of paragraph (4) construction of which commences on or after such date specified for that class in the said subparagraphs, hereinafter referred to as a ‘new building’, or
    (b) on or after 1 January 2009, a building that is in existence on or before 1 January 2009,

and any agent acting on behalf of such person in connection with such offering, shall produce a printed copy of the BER certificate and advisory report in relation to the building to any person expressing an interest in purchasing or taking a letting of the building and, on demand, to the building control authority in whose functional area the building is situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Well here is a funnier one...

I went to see a house before christmas and I asked the EA about the BER rating and he brushed me off with a story about how it is actually the EA that decides what the BER rating is etc etc etc... he was the biggest a-hole you'd ever meet.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of chancers out there. Be wary. Use good agents wherever possible. U will get to recognise the less reputable ones through experience. (can't name them
    On here) Money would not be exchanged unless it was done if u have a good solicitor. In any case you could put in an offer in principal on pending the BER certificate and if the vendor was serious about selling they would be quick enough to get it done...

Jimbo wrote: »
    They are legally obliged to give you the BER rating when offering a house for sale or rent.

Extract from SI 666, 2006, listing when a BER cert has to be provided:

That's brilliant - at least now I can say that they have to legally supply it!

I got the impression they would supply one when sale is agreed but in my opinion - that is WAY too late!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Just tell them you won't sign anything until its done they are obviously desperate to sell if they can't afford to get it done so just tell them you want it or your going elsewhere and let them know it'll be a long time til they find a serious buyer with funds in place again

I know - it's crazy! It has actually really put me off the house.

As for the EA - how do I know if they are decent one's or crooks? How much can they damage can they do (if they are crooks)?

Sorry for all the dumb questions - I'm just new to all this!

jameshayes wrote: »
    Well here is a funnier one...

I went to see a house before christmas and I asked the EA about the BER rating and he brushed me off with a story about how it is actually the EA that decides what the BER rating is etc etc etc... he was the biggest a-hole you'd ever meet.

Oh my god jameshayes - are these people for real! Like Seriously!!! Do they really think that we will believe them? I just cant believe it! Really didn't think there were people like this out there. The person that showed me the house was dressed in tracksuit bottoms and top - had no interest in answering my questions - any questions I asked about the house, she didn't know and I knew she was trying to bluff that answers!!!!! Oh god - it would really put you off!!!!

I just cant get over the fact that the EA seemed ok with the fact that the person refuses to get a BER rating. They mustn't think they would have much hope in selling in the next year cause surely they would spend the 150 euro for the rating.

• Advertisement

I know - it's crazy! It has actually really put me off the house.

As for the EA - how do I know if they are decent one's or crooks? How much can they damage can they do (if they are crooks)?

Sorry for all the dumb questions - I'm just new to all this!

I don't think the EA can do much damage you are the one in control really, obviously the EA is out for the highest commission they can get but you are still the one making the offer so you control their commission as such.

Hang in there though it will work out in the end.

Use a good reputable company. Not sure if I can name names here... No damage but remember they are out for a quick buck too. Be prepared to play the waiting game!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Keedowah wrote: »
    And renting too - no one puts up their BER rating when advertising places for rent. I think its time the likes of daft added a BER section.

I suggested that directly to daft in the middle of last year, as it is a legal requirement when "a house is offered for sale or for rent".

If the seller is waiting until the house is "sold" then this will delay the time for completion plus the fact that the purchaser may then pull out of the sale if they find the BER rating is low.

Estate agents, IMHO, are as much at fault for not ensuring that the purchaser has a legal BER certificate and, according to the Irish Law Society, they are also liable to be fined if a BER cert is not available as they are acting as an agent of the seller and therefore accepts the responsibilities of the seller.

Originally posted by Faders
    Saw a house and asked estate agent did she know the BER rating and she said the person selling the house has no interest doing a BER rating until the "Sale has been agreed". I asked why and she said it's a lot of money and she cant afford it.
    I had exactly the same response from an estate agent.

The fact that all revenue generated through the BER Scheme goes to SEI, yet the County Councils have to supply the resources, without any additional funding, to implement the scheme is also a fundamental flaw in the process.

However, with a fine of up to 5,000 for not having a BER cert, the County Councils could make a fortune: and 5k from the seller plus 5k from the estate agent - it would soon mount up to a tidy sum for the cash strapped Co Cos.

But whether it’s SEI or the Building Control Officer’s – something needs to happen..and soon!

Make sure you get a survey done too if you haven't already most important. That would even give you an idea of what the ber could be

Use a good reputable company. Not sure if I can name names here... No damage but remember they are out for a quick buck too. Be prepared to play the waiting game!!!

Hi Faders

Do you mean to wait for houses to come on the market? or do you mean to wait when you have put a bid in?

odds_on wrote: »
    I suggested that directly to daft in the middle of last year, as it is a legal requirement when "a house is offered for sale or for rent".

If the seller is waiting until the house is "sold" then this will delay the time for completion plus the fact that the purchaser may then pull out of the sale if they find the BER rating is low.

Estate agents, IMHO, are as much at fault for not ensuring that the purchaser has a legal BER certificate and, according to the Irish Law Society, they are also liable to be fined if a BER cert is not available as they are acting as an agent of the seller and therefore accepts the responsibilities of the seller.

Originally posted by Faders
    I had exactly the same response from an estate agent.

The fact that all revenue generated through the BER Scheme goes to SEI, yet the County Councils have to supply the resources, without any additional funding, to implement the scheme is also a fundamental flaw in the process.

However, with a fine of up to 5,000 for not having a BER cert, the County Councils could make a fortune: and 5k from the seller plus 5k from the estate agent - it would soon mount up to a tidy sum for the cash strapped Co Cos.

But whether it’s SEI or the Building Control Officer’s – something needs to happen..and soon!

WOW - thanks so much for your advice! Feel a lot more confident now if this issue ever comes up again :)

donalg1 wrote: »
    Make sure you get a survey done too if you haven't already most important. That would even give you an idea of what the ber could be

Forgot to mention thatDonalg. Also don't dismiss problems/defects. Use it as a bargaining tool. Ultimately you will have to sort these if the vendor won't.

Also forgot to mention get a good, reputable solicitor. Ask friends and family, call a few get conveyancing quotes too to get a good deal. It's a buyers market in everything.

Hi Faders

Do you mean to wait for houses to come on the market? or do you mean to wait when you have put a bid in?

Hey I meant wait when you out a bid on. Be blasé about it and wait for them to call you back- can take hours, days or weeks in my experience!

Advertisement