Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 6 revealed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

You can read the review here http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/yi42z7/resident-evil-6-review

Gametrailers have a big advertising deal with Capcon for Resident Evil 6, with their homepage covered in an RE6 splash ad.

That's one of the best reviews I've read in a long time. :D

I'm still saddened to see this happen to my beloved Resident Evil though. :(

Edit; Just thought, I can't wait to see what Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Zero Punctuation has to say about this. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Confirmed what I suspected from the demo. I am truely disappointed.

Same here. Awful demo - could hardly see anything, kept stumbling over monster closet bodies. Was let down by forced co-op gameplay of 5 so this is the first RE game that I won't be buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Looking at Destructoid's review profile it seems to be full of kinda niche (trying to think of a better word for it) at the top end like Majin and the forsaken Kingdom or other Media Darlings. And bizarrely Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 3 got 10/10? WTF
    Resi 6 which I haven't played reeks of a 6/10 title(quite ironic) that says to me......wait a week to see how dishonored scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I think it's a shame when a guy like Jim Sterling writes a scathing review of a highly anticipated AAA title the most popular reaction is "oh, courting controversy again". Not that that he shies away from that kind of ****e, but I really think you need guys like him so game journalism doesn't turn into a crowd of parrots repeating the same crap as the next guy. You never seem to see this kind of scepticism with movie reviews for some reason, unless it's Armond White maybe.

Like someone else said it's the content of the review that matters at the end of the day. DP most definitely isn't a 10/10 game but Sterling managed to explain perfectly everything that was wonderful about that mess of a game. Numbers are completely arbitrary signs that signify **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Long time coming, ****ing loving the reviews, **** you capcom, **** you up your stupid ass...

Lets see if they survive this horror ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

nix wrote: »
    Lets see if they survive this horror ;)

It'll sell a crapload, simply because it Resident Evil. So they'll probably be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JUst got my copy, will give it a lash tonight. Saw a vid on why Resi 6 is the best game of all time. Really bizarre, is this really in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Anybody whos been in shops today yet? How much is it for in gamestop or wheres cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

biggebruv wrote: »
    Anybody whos been in shops today yet? How much is it for in gamestop or wheres cheapest

Steelbook in Gamestop is 55euro
    Ordinary edition in Tesco is 60euro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brief but eloquent review from the gameological society: http://gameological.com/2012/10/review-resident-evil-6/
    Sometimes you’ll draw a stingy corpse that leaves jack **** behind. Whenever that happens, you’ll find yourself standing next to a magically disintegrating corpse, waiting for an extra two, maybe three seconds to see if something might still arrive. It’s hard not to feel cheated in these moments—cheated, then embarrassed when you realize that you’re still loitering on the spot where a corpse has vanished. And that reward you’re waiting for? The reward you’re sure you deserve? Slowly, it dawns on you that it’s not coming. You reload your gun and move on.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    It'll sell a crapload, simply because it Resident Evil. So they'll probably be delighted.

Still, two bad games in a row isn't going to do the brand any favours. At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to see a DmC styled reboot in the future, though I'd totally be ok with that. Unlike DMC it doesn't seem like there's very much point in continuing on with RE as it is now. At least with a reboot they might be able to do something a little more restrained, not a game about super agents and warriors fighting mutants all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Gamestop were charging 55 euros in Stephen's Green.

Went to HMV and picked it up for 48 instead.

Very expensive from Gamestop to be fair.

I think this CVG review says all that needs to be said about review scores: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/370126/reviews/resident-evil-6-review-the-series-buries-its-survival-horror-roots-forever-review/

A pretty miserable write up of the game, yet it gets an 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Played it for an hour... The ****ty demo didn't do any justice at all IMO. The intro was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Rarely give a damn to reviewers nowadays but if i needed one i'll go for edge:
    http://www.edge-online.com/review/resident-evil-6-review/

6/10. as expected.

Also, DMC reboot looks utter ****, if they made a reboot like that for RE i won't even leave a comment here on forum.

A reboot doesn't have to be like DmC. A reboot would mean that they could distance themselves from this mess that's going nowhere and try something new (or old, as the case may be).

Leon and Chris are old as hell now, it's not like there will be many of the old characters left in future installments unless they decide to bring back Claire and Jill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Picked it up for 55 quid in xtra vision.
    Been playing for a while now (chris's bit). Not really impressed so far. Had to turn the brightness way up, too. Will persevere for a while, though before i say much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Complete muck and I approached this with an open mind too.
    Awful, awful game. I can't believe how good this makes 5 look.

3/10.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Resident evil as a series died for me 15 mins into RE5.

Not surprised to see 6 is getting such dreadful reviews.

However, the sad fact about it that a 3/10 game made to play like cod will sell more than a 9/10 game that stays true to the heritage of the survival horror.

• Complete muck and I approached this with an open mind too.

3/10.
    Have you purchased and what campaign are you playing, please give a little more detail. As I have said the demo was all over the place, truelly frustrating and yet I have never seen a game with such polorized opinions.

I had to be certain...I haven't purchased this but was worthy of a rent today to give it final judgement.

Hate to say it but jesus I'm actually starting to enjoy the Jake campaign even tho I was frustrated with the controls for the first hour or so. I added laser aim instead of dot. Tweaked the brightness and turned the music down to 50. I'm dislodging myself from nostalgic blindness and I'm actually enjoying it. I'm a freak??, help me???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Complete muck and I approached this with an open mind too.

3/10.
    Have you purchased and what campaign are you playing, please give a little more detail. As I have said the demo was all over the place, truelly frustrating and yet I have never seen a game with such polorized opinions.

I had to be certain...I haven't purchased this but was worthy of a rent today to give it final judgement.

Hate to say it but jesus I'm actually starting to enjoy the Jake campaign even tho I was frustrated with the controls for the first hour or so. I added laser aim instead of dot. Tweaked the brightness and turned the music down to 50. I'm dislodging myself from nostalgic blindness and I'm actually enjoying it. I'm a freak??, help me???

I put the laser sight on straight away too. Havent gotten over the frustration with the controls yet. Only played Chris's bit. Sorta lookin forward to the jake bit now. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just finished chapter 2 of chris part, much too dark, being darker doesn't always make it better. Slightly disappointed but obviously gonna finish it. Looks like it will take hours and hours to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I've played Leons mission as far as the subway, I then turned it off because I just couldn't stick it anymore. I could go into more detail but I'm just after reading Jim Sterlings review on Destructoid in the last few minutes. What he said, basically.

I'll play it for a couple more days, try the other campaigns because I'm just that much of an RE freak but I think this will be the first canon RE that I return to the shop. The only other RE I got rid of was ORC, another pile of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Been playing Chris first too and this game has the most annoying enemies EVER!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Still, two bad games in a row isn't going to do the brand any favours.

I dislike the constant moaning about how Resident Evil died with RE5, and how it's such a terrible game, and so on...Resident Evil 5 is the best selling game of the whole franchise, I think that's sufficient evidence to support the direction the games took. RE5 is actually my personal favorite of the entire franchise, bought it on 360 and PC as well so I could play in 3D (which absolutely rocks, by the way) - and I'm a big Resident Evil fan, so it's not as if my opinion is solely that of the continuously propagated image of the brainless action player with no appreciation for what Resi once was or where it came from.

Haven't played 6 yet though I bought it earlier, but I do think all the talk dismissing Resident Evil 5 is pretty thin. Fair enough, it is different to its predecessors, and you've every right to dislike it, but comments claiming it's a bad game and damaging to the franchise are just silly, because for Capcom, it yielded record return and proved that a lot of people wanted something a bit new from Resi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I haven't seen or played this yet but I tend to not to have the same opinion on this sort of stuff as most people on boards...this might turn out to be my game of the year by the looks of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resident Evil 5 is the best selling game of the whole franchise, I think that's sufficient evidence to support the direction the games took.

Just because it sold well doesn't mean it's a good game. Rise of the Robots and the first Mortal Kombat sold well and both were terrible games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just because it sold well doesn't mean it's a good game. Rise of the Robots and the first Mortal Kombat sold well and both were terrible games.

People like to say RE5 is a bad game, but it plays almost exactly like RE4, which everyone thinks is the greatest game to ever be conceived. It only got slated because it was so similar to RE4, and the AI partner was retarded. The actual game itself is fine. The coop is great fun if you can find someone too. And its a finely tuned masterpiece compared to 6.
    If anything, RE4 is where the series went downhill as a survival horror game. 4 isnt scary, theres no actual survival horror, its a straight up action game.

I dislike the constant moaning about how Resident Evil died with RE5, and how it's such a terrible game, and so on...Resident Evil 5 is the best selling game of the whole franchise, I think that's sufficient evidence to support the direction the games took. RE5 is actually my personal favorite of the entire franchise, bought it on 360 and PC as well so I could play in 3D (which absolutely rocks, by the way) - and I'm a big Resident Evil fan, so it's not as if my opinion is solely that of the continuously propagated image of the brainless action player with no appreciation for what Resi once was or where it came from.

Haven't played 6 yet though I bought it earlier, but I do think all the talk dismissing Resident Evil 5 is pretty thin. Fair enough, it is different to its predecessors, and you've every right to dislike it, but comments claiming it's a bad game and damaging to the franchise are just silly, because for Capcom, it yielded record return and proved that a lot of people wanted something a bit new from Resi.

Sorry, the game I was talking about was Operation Raccoon City. I had a ton of fun with RE5.

The point being that getting stung like this twice in a row might cause people to think twice about getting RE7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

People like to say RE5 is a bad game, but it plays almost exactly like RE4, which everyone thinks is the greatest game to ever be conceived. It only got slated because it was so similar to RE4, and the AI partner was retarded. The actual game itself is fine. The coop is great fun if you can find someone too. And its a finely tuned masterpiece compared to 6.
    If anything, RE4 is where the series went downhill as a survival horror game. 4 isnt scary, theres no actual survival horror, its a straight up action game.

RE4 has tension in buckets rather than scares, seeing a few enemies getting closer as you're trying to pick them off or any setpiece where you're stuck in an area until you clear a set amount of them.

Advertisement