Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 6 revealed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

krudler wrote: »
    RE4 has tension in buckets rather than scares, seeing a few enemies getting closer as you're trying to pick them off or any setpiece where you're stuck in an area until you clear a set amount of them.

RE5 has that too you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RE5 has that too you know.

It does, with the added feature of whatsherface wasting all your healthsprays as soon as you get a scratch :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People like to say RE5 is a bad game, but it plays almost exactly like RE4, which everyone thinks is the greatest game to ever be conceived. It only got slated because it was so similar to RE4, and the AI partner was retarded. The actual game itself is fine. The coop is great fun if you can find someone too. And its a finely tuned masterpiece compared to 6.
    If anything, RE4 is where the series went downhill as a survival horror game. 4 isnt scary, theres no actual survival horror, its a straight up action game.

RE4 might play the same as RE5 but it's a far superior game. RE4 kept presenting the player with new encounters and set pieces that subtly changed how you approached the game and kept it interesting the whole way through. It's why it's considered one of it not the greatest action game. RE5 was the same thing over and over. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't a great one either and didn't come anywhere near being as good as RE4.

I'd go so far as to say Resident Evil started being more about action from RE2 onwards. Resident Evil was never really that scary anyway. Nobody is complaining that RE is no longer survival horror and the ones that are are worth ignoring. People are complaining that RE5 just wasn't that great a game and it's looking like RE6 is pretty mediocre as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah now Resi 4 was completely different. It was the perfect mix of action and tension. The locations were brilliant, constantly moving into new environments. When I'm done with my current games, BL2, Fifa, Resi 6, I'm gonna get Resi 4 on PSN.

Resi 5 was so boring, the most generic locations and ridiculous enemies. I felt like the game was just pushing me through these boring locations to the end and completely lost interest in the story.

Zombies with bullet proof vests and machine guns = zero connectivity with the game and turns into a mindless shooter.

A group of villagers with pitchforks and the distant hum of a chainsaw = Ah f*ck! leggit!!

Resi 5 mimicked some of those elements but lost all the tension.

IMO, the difference between Resi 4 & Resi 5 is huge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah now Resi 4 was completely different. It was the perfect mix of action and tension. The locations were brilliant, constantly moving into new environments. When I'm done with my current games, BL2, Fifa, Resi 6, I'm gonna get Resi 4 on PSN.

Resi 5 was so boring, the most generic locations and ridiculous enemies. I felt like the game was just pushing me through these boring locations to the end and completely lost interest in the story.

Zombies with bullet proof vests and machine guns = zero connectivity with the game and turns into a mindless shooter.

A group of villagers with pitchforks and the distant hum of a chainsaw = Ah f*ck! leggit!!

This.

• Advertisement

Arent there zombies with bulletproof vests and miniguns in RE4?

I remember the mounted mini gun alright, and the armoured knights but fact remains that Resi 4 did it right and made it enjoyable where resi 5 just got it wrong, dunno how.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

HG101 forum users really aren't liking the game either.

Introduced for a short while later on in the game to mix things up, not all the bloody time in every firefight. In Resi 4 they were replaced by a different enemy that required a different approach. Actually those guys you needed to use the infrared sight on were great. There was nothing in Resi 5 that could touch that moment or many others.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually those guys you needed to use the infrared sight on were great. .

I completely forgot about them, they were class having to shoot the weakpoints on their bodies that can only be seen in infra red. Man Resi 4 was a huge game. Plus the Ada's mission you could play after the game was brilliant as well.

Didn't get to play resi 6 last night but will give it a lash tonight. Expectations are on the floor, I'm approaching it as a mindless co-op shooter and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I've often wondered if the Dead Space devs took inspiration from the Regenerators in RE4 when designing the Necromorph.

• Advertisement

HG101 forum users really aren't liking the game either.

Introduced for a short while later on in the game to mix things up, not all the bloody time in every firefight. In Resi 4 they were replaced by a different enemy that required a different approach. Actually those guys you needed to use the infrared sight on were great. There was nothing in Resi 5 that could touch that moment or many others.

The lickers in RE5 were a great moment tbf. I dunno, i just think alot of people only remember the opening level of RE4 which was pants wettingly amazing, and the forget all the bul****tyness later on like the entire castle being crap, the midget boss guy being just hilariously crap as a villain, the ****ty hedge maze bit, and that the by the time you get to the island the game has far outstayed its welcome. Its a great game but its not flawless, and RE5 aping its best bits is still enjoyable, i just think its 'cool' to hate on RE5, even tho if you go back and paly it now, its aged really well and is a damn enjoyable game.
    At least we can prob all agree its nowhere near the travesty of RE6, a game capcom wouldve been ashamed to release back in their heyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Just finished Chapter 2 of Leon's story.

Majorly disappointed over the lack of cheesy phrases coming out of Leon. He was launching them out left right and centre in RE4. Not a hint of him something cringeworthy at all.

I completely forgot about them, they were class having to shoot the weakpoints on their bodies that can only be seen in infra red. Man Resi 4 was a huge game. Plus the Ada's mission you could play after the game was brilliant as well.

Didn't get to play resi 6 last night but will give it a lash tonight. Expectations are on the floor, I'm approaching it as a mindless co-op shooter and see how it goes.

Resi4 was a big game, from the village to the monastery type place, to the castle, the mercenary base, the labs, not to mention all the setpieces inbetween. I'm really tempted to just play Resi4 again.

I'm really tempted to just play Resi4 again.

I am myself man, been looking up the price in work but can't find it for PSN. I saw it had a permanent price drop in March from $19.99 to $13.99 but can't confirm it til I get home. If it is 12 euro on PSN, I'm getting it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I'm just listening to the Giant Bombcast (recorded yesterday). They are not impressed with it at all.
    I didn't play the demo. I only say a youtube video of it (Leon's campaign) and I thought it looked ok.
    But apparently even that campaign gets bad quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Well according to Brad Leon's is actually the worst. Their quicklook was pretty shocking to watch.

snausages wrote: »
    Well according to Brad Leon's is actually the worst. Their quicklook was pretty shocking to watch.

I must take a look. I'm not going to rant about this. Just a bit disappointing.

The lickers in RE5 were a great moment tbf.

Until you realised they were about as tough to take out as slugs using salt bullets and they completely lost the impact they had in Resi 2. And they kind of looked a bit daft. About as terrifying as kittens.
    I dunno, i just think alot of people only remember the opening level of RE4 which was pants wettingly amazing, and the forget all the bul****tyness later on like the entire castle being crap

Loved the castle, loads of great set pieces, getting bombarded by catapults, the statue you had to climb, playing as Ashley that felt a bit like haunting ground, the enemies that cloaked in the sewers, the Lava pit and the creepy monk guys. Really amazing set-piece and level design there that Resi 5 never approached. All it could muster up was the same 'you look after the switch and I guard you' puzzles that got old fast.

the midget boss guy being just hilariously crap as a villain

He was great, so hilariously over the top in a way only Mikami can do. Resident Evil can hardly be taken seriously and he also provided two of the games best boss battles. Speaking of which the boss battles were some of the best ever designed in Resi 4. Resi 5's were all boring with the elevator boss near the end being the only one that approached being as good. It still felt lacking.
    the ****ty hedge maze bit

Loved that bit as well. Wasn't exactly a tough puzzle and the tight confines added tension since it was difficult to fight the dogs in it. That's another one of Resident Evil 4's pieces of genius. Just like a Mario game it never changed the controls or mechanics but changed the environment, hazards and enemies to constantly give the player new experiences. Resi 5 was the same arena efforts that threw zombies at you and the occassional chainsaw or minigun guy at you every single time.
    by the time you get to the island the game has far outstayed its welcome.

Again I have to disagree. I thought Resi 4 was very long for an action game but the way it constantly changed what it expected of the player through different environments and enemies it was kept constantly fresh and never got old. There's plenty of 4 hour campaigns this generation that get old before the end but the beauty of Resi 4 for me was it kept me constantly engaged until the end.

Resi 4 isn't perfect, no game is but I think as a 3rd person action game no other game has managed to get as close as Resi 4 did. Resi 5 was a step in the wrong direction and while no means a bad game it wasn't even half the game Resi 4 was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retro after seeing you spilling so much love on RE4 and read back your previous post:
    Resident Evil was never really that scary anyway. Nobody is complaining that RE is no longer survival horror and the ones that are are worth ignoring. People are complaining that RE5 just wasn't that great a game and it's looking like RE6 is pretty mediocre as well.

Don't you think that without the definitive scariness from 'zombies' (or monsters, which all inherited from the older REs), RE4 wouldn't be that good? Frankly, the term of 'survival horror genre' is technically originated from the first RE so as long as RE4 gives you a feeling of 'Oh it is RE4!', it is a still a survival horror, albeit the 'survival' bit is highly reduced compare to the older REs but it certainly has everything to do with 'horror'.

And ya sure, go ahead tell us you didn't scare one single bit when you first played that opening villagers part and your heart beat didn't raise when you heard that chainsaw dude coming near you :D

While RE5 has nothing to do with 'survival horror' at all, i think it is legit to tell people that 'RE is no longer survival horror since RE5' because you simply can't get any bit of 'survival horror' from RE5, but for RE4 you can.
    Fck semantics btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Most people know that i hate RE4 and RE5 with a passion for killing RE franchise, but RE4 really does not deserve to be slaped with "re4 is same as re5". RE4 did not had Sheva, which makes RE4 a masterpiece A+.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

4 hours into Leons campaign, playing Co-op with a friend. We both absolutely love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

A bit ot but I'm going to get resident evil 4 to play on pc. Is there any much have mods that improve the games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

tuxy wrote: »
    A bit ot but I'm going to get resident evil 4 to play on pc. Is there any much have mods that improve the games?

Yes, there's texture and lighting mods that make the game look incredible. In it's original unpatched 1.0 release, it's a joke.

Ah Resi 4 didn't kill the franchise, it needed a new system instead of stuck camera angles and restricted movement and Capcom actually did a great job. I wish Resi 2 would be remade with this system but not sure if it would work.

On a side note, my 2nd joypad's R2 button was faulty. I opened it to see the spring had snapped and replaced it with a spring from a floppy disk and it works perfect. Pretty chuffed with myself :pac:

Most people know that i hate RE4 and RE5 with a passion for killing RE franchise, but RE4 really does not deserve to be slaped with "re4 is same as re5". RE4 did not had Sheva, which makes RE4 a masterpiece A+.

I wouldnt say RE4 killed it, it expanded on the basics and made the godawful control system from 1-3 go away, as classic as those games are, the controls are terrible, the characters move like a tank instead of a person.

Best quote about it on Giant bomb.
    It's not fun nonsense any more. It's just nonsense for the sake of being nonsense. And that's not entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wouldnt say RE4 killed it, it expanded on the basics and made the godawful control system from 1-3 go away, as classic as those games are, the controls are terrible, the characters move like a tank instead of a person.

I knew tank reference will come in play here. So for the last few days I play parasite eve 2. As we know those got those , so called, horrible tank controls. I have to say after not playing these games for years it was like shaking hands with an old friend. I think I am better at those controls then I was before. It felt right and more then playable. People bash those tank controls way more then it deserves. Funny enough I got more trouble properly controlling and aiming in re 4 and 5, then I have in old school re games. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The only resident evil I really enjoyed playing the RE2. The rest just haven't come up to the level of that game.

I knew tank reference will come in play here. So for the last few days I play parasite eve 2. As we know those got those , so called, horrible tank controls. I have to say after not playing these games for years it was like shaking hands with an old friend. I think I am better at those controls then I was before. It felt right and more then playable. People bash those tank controls way more then it deserves. Funny enough I got more trouble properly controlling and aiming in re 4 and 5, then I have in old school re games. Go figure.

there's not much aiming involved in the pre-RE4 games to be fair, you just point in the general direction, least in Re4 you actually have to hit targets. I do love the old games, only played 2 and 3 recently after getting them for psn, and the news that capcom may give 2 a REmake ala the gamecube RE1 fills me with much fanboy joy.

• Advertisement

Krudler is Resi 2 still brilliant? It's been yonks since I played it on PS1 and am worried playing it now will only tarnish the memories.

Advertisement