Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 6 revealed

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Krudler is Resi 2 still brilliant? It's been yonks since I played it on PS1 and am worried playing it now will only tarnish the memories.

Oh indeed it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Krudler is Resi 2 still brilliant? It's been yonks since I played it on PS1 and am worried playing it now will only tarnish the memories.

It's still great if you don't mind PS1 graphics.

Also, I loved the tank controls.

Take away tank controls and what did y'all get? Resident Evil ****ty 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh indeed it is.

I got to get that on my ps vita next. **** new releases. I will just waste money on pan classics! :D

• 50% Want oldschool / 50% want newschool. This has contributed what you have now. At least with DMC they have rebooted, if it fails then it fails on CAPCOMs merits and ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Damn right it is, lets bask in this for a moment will we?

• Advertisement

so I caved and used a gamestop voucher I had on RE6, mehhhh, its not awful, but its not great, or very good tbh, the hud is terrible, turned that off straight away, cranked the brightness up max and you still can barely see in front of you. and the QTE's jesus, the opening has about two dozen of them push x for this, not again, now wiggle the joystick, faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

krudler wrote: »
    Damn right it is, lets bask in this for a moment will we?

FU.... now i want to top up my psn wallet and get this! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got home and checked resi 4, its 20 euro fxck that. Resi 2 is just a tenner. Il get through resi 6 first anyway.

Oh ffs, this really is just Resi for the COD crowd (and I say that as a COD player) down to the "shoot this guy in slo motion before he kills a hostage after you burst into a room" quicktime event.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A misconception: neither Resident Evil 4 nor Resident 5 killed the series. The departure of Shinji Mikami did. After creating one of the bravest, boldest and most brilliant sequels in gaming history, from a franchise whose original charms had become increasingly antiquated, he departed from Capcom. Minus that strong creative vision - he had either directed or overseen every numbered franchise entry to that point - it's not at all surprising the series quickly lost its way. Even less surprising when you remember that even before Resi 4 Capcom had ruthlessly milked its most profitable cash cow, from lightgun to mobile entries.

Resident Evil was lucky enough to experience one inspired, exhilarating reinvention - most franchises could never hope for that. Following up on that is an unenviable task. Especially when the studio loses one of the very few directors who can without a shadow of a doubt be called an auteur: an auteur who had pretty much defined the identity of the series up to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes, there's texture and lighting mods that make the game look incredible. In it's original unpatched 1.0 release, it's a joke.

I know this much but I can't find links to download them, not sure which ones are best and most links are broken :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ahhh... Resi 2. I still remember not being able to get hold of this as I didn't have a credit card and noone I knew had it or would sell it. I eventually found it in a clearance sale in the local rental shop years after the PS1 bit the dust. My favorite will always be RE3 but the PS1 trilogy was pure class. It's a shame what has become of the series but the great thing about the modern gaming industry is that when your favourite series lets you down, there'll be something much better to try.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

tuxy wrote: »
    I know this much but I can't find links to download them, not sure which ones are best and most links are broken :(

The torrent for the high res mod linked on this forum still seems to work.

Gamefront also has some patches still.
    I'd suggest the mouse aim patch and the Community Update (this may overlap with the high res mod, I don't remember).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

So... I caved and bought it earlier despite the very mixed reviews. Played about 2 hours of Leon's story and am enjoying it so far. Graphically its amazing obviously, some of the lighting / shadows work really well. am finding that shooting can be quite annoying but I tend to stick to melee attacks whenever possible. I don't think it's as bad as some reviews will have you believe and with little or no backtracking, the sheer size of the game so far is quite impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Just finished Chris campaign and what a big pile of POO!!! Playing Leon's campaign now and really enjoying it hordes of old school zombies FTW!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just because it sold well doesn't mean it's a good game. Rise of the Robots and the first Mortal Kombat sold well and both were terrible games.

Firstly, Rise of the Robots was a commercial and critical failure, so I don't see how that's any sort of valid comparison to Resident Evil 5, which was Capcoms greatest commercial success in the Resident Evil Franchise by quite a margin (over 5,000,000 copies sold), unless you know something we don't!

You're entitled to not think Mortal Kombat a good game but that was a commercial success and it was also considered a good game in its day, critically speaking. So I don't get what sort of comparison that's meant to be, but it doesn't work. Or is this because you personally think Mortal Kombat is a bad game, and gloss over the fact that to the contrary, on critical and commerical merits, it is - or was - very much a good game.

I think a lot of people in this forum suffer from very pronounced 'my opinion is fact' disorder. Not too dissimilar to the Call of Duty forum where every year people moan and whine about how each iteration is the 'worst and laziest yet' despite each game being a record breaking seller. 'It's the sheep buying it' they moan, 'and they're ruining the gaming industry'. Ruining it for who? Them? Who are these sheep that drag the industry to far down for all of us? Wait....They're everyday people, gamers just the same as you are, and just because their taste leans towards action or even brainless titles, doesn't make them any less a true gamer or less entitled to their opinion on what constitutes a good game. I'm sorry the minority always feel this sense of injustice, but you know, majority rules. Does it never enter old school Resident Evil fans heads that the reason the games have taken this path is because that's what most people want? You can't blame Capcom for catering to that, surely?
    50% Want oldschool / 50% want newschool. This has contributed what you have now. At least with DMC they have rebooted, if it fails then it fails on CAPCOMs merits and ideas.

More than 50% prefer it the way it is now. Hence why Resident Evil 5 sold better than any Resident Evil game prior to that, and Resident Evil 6 will also have strong sales.

The simple fact is that Capcom are catering to the market. Sick of hearing people talking about 'betraying the fans', when the realistic truth is that they are catering to a majority fanbase and their preferences. Yes, it sucks if you're the minority who prefer old school Resident Evil, and yes I also grew up playing Resident Evil from the first game, but that's how it is, and this is how most people know and love 'Resident Evil' - a lot of franchise fans included.

I've been playing Resident Evil since it came out on the PSX, as is my best friend, and we're both rabid fans of the franchise, yet consider Resident Evil 5 and now, Resident Evil 6, awesome games both on their owns merits and as franchise entries. Are we not true Resident Evil fans? Can't it be accepted that a huge portion of franchise fans are delighted with the last few games, rather than propagating this lie bordering on mythical proportions that the real fans have somehow been stabbed in the back? I'm a fan, and far from letting me down or betraying what I personally love about Resident Evil, I think Capcom have served the franchise well. And that's my valid opinion that I'm entitled to, and it's one shared by more people than those that believe the franchise has gone down the toilet.

I've no doubt that Capcom could make a stellar game in the vein of the original trilogy, but I've equally no doubt that they wouldn't sell half as well. For example, I did not like Code Veronica for example, but I love Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5, Code Veronica was a dinosaur and it was painfully obvious in many ways.

Just finished Leons campaign there incidentally, thought it was excellent, 7 hours of solid gameplay which is more than 90% of action games these days, putting aside the fact that there are two other campaigns as well as other game modes. I haven't played Chris or Jake campaigns yet and can't comment, but from what I got from Leon's campaign so far, I consider it money well spent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Firstly, Rise of the Robots was a commercial and critical failure

Wrong, it was a massive commercial success.
    You're entitled to not think Mortal Kombat a good game but that was a commercial success and it was also considered a good game in its day, critically speaking.

Doesn't make it a good game. Also speaking to anyone that actually knows even a small bit about fighting games, Mortal Kombat is considered pretty terrible and the console ports even worse. I loved it at the time but I was young and stupid and taken in by the gore. It's an awful game.

Of course it just seems you think if something sells well or gets good reviews it's a good game. I'd rather make up my own mind about things and listen to some real experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wrong, it was a massive commercial success

Can you provide a link to prove it was a 'massive commerical success'?
    Doesn't make it a good game. Also speaking to anyone that actually knows even a small bit about fighting games, Mortal Kombat is considered pretty terrible and the console ports even worse. I loved it at the time but I was young and stupid and taken in by the gore. It's an awful game.

Of course it just seems you think if something sells well or gets good reviews it's a good game. I'd rather make up my own mind about things and listen to some real experts.

Seriously, do you sit on some high council of elite gamers who judge games on their own personal beliefs contrary to what the majority of the game playing public actually believe?

Your argument is that because some elite circle of fighting game fans dislike Mortal Kombat, the irrefutable evidence consisting of:

a) High critical praise

b) Huge commerical success

c) Establishment of a hugely popular franchise

Are actually irrelevant because you and a small majority have deemed it so? Who are these experts you speak of? Are game reviewers not experts? Is all this critical acclaim some sort of conspiracy?

I never said that something selling well makes it a good game, however I did state really, that a combination of high critical praise and commerical sales usually means a game is quite good.

Rise of the Robots was absolutely panned by critics as one of the worst pieces of crap to grace home consoles...ever. So can we please stop using that as some sort of comparison to Resident Evil 5? It's not valid or relevant.

People need to seriously let go of these elitest notions around these parts that their opinion is somehow more important than others simply because they consider themselves of better/more refined taste in games. Half the games you've always banging on about as the holy grail of gaming, quite honestly, I wouldn't play them if you paid me. Does that make them bad games? Do I attack said games? Course not. They're just not my cup of tea, and I've no doubt to those that like and enjoy them, they're stellar. You know? That's how opinions work. And if more people disagree rather than agree with you in a general sense - for example, Resident Evils rapid rise in sales since embracing the action genre more openly - you have to ask yourself - why not accept that it's serving what the majority want rather than attacking it so fiercely?

Can you provide a link to prove it was a 'massive commerical success'?

No but it topped the charts for a number of weeks on every format it was released on. Despite what wikipedia says it made an awful lot of money.
    Seriously, do you sit on some high council of elite gamers who judge games on their own personal beliefs contrary to what the majority of the game playing public actually believe?

Your argument is that because some elite circle of fighting game fans dislike Mortal Kombat, the irrefutable evidence consisting of:

a) High critical praise

b) Huge commerical success

c) Establishment of a hugely popular franchise

Are actually irrelevant because you and a small majority have deemed it so? Who are these experts you speak of? Are game reviewers not experts? Is all this critical acclaim some sort of conspiracy?

I never said that something selling well makes it a good game, however I did state really, that a combination of high critical praise and commerical sales usually means a game is quite good.

Rise of the Robots was absolutely panned by critics as one of the worst pieces of crap to grace home consoles...ever. So can we please stop using that as some sort of comparison to Resident Evil 5? It's not valid or relevant.

People need to seriously let go of these elitest notions around these parts that their opinion is somehow more important than others simply because they consider themselves of better/more refined taste in games. Half the games you've always banging on about as the holy grail of gaming, quite honestly, I wouldn't play them if you paid me. Does that make them bad games? Do I attack said games? Course not. They're just not my cup of tea, and I've no doubt to those that like and enjoy them, they're stellar. You know? That's how opinions work. And if more people disagree rather than agree with you in a general sense - for example, Resident Evils rapid rise in sales since embracing the action genre more openly - you have to ask yourself - why not accept that it's serving what the majority want rather than attacking it so fiercely?

Why did you make change the topic into attacking me? Get a grip.

Also all three points you list don't automatically make a good game. Case in point rise of the robots which got a few 90+ reviews on release and was a big commercial success.

As for Resident Evil seeing a massive rise in sales, games sales have steadily risen over the years due to the market increasing. Just because Resident Evil 5 sold more doesn't mean it was a good game or it's what people want. That's the type of marketing mindset that brought about Resident Evil 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

tuxy wrote: »

I was trying to find them too but it seems liek theyve vanished from the internet. What i did instead was download dolphin and RE4 wii edition, the wiimote controls translate into almost perfect KB&M controls, and it looks great :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wtf is this **** :P (spoilers)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Playing Resi 6 at the moment, doing Leon/Helena campaign. About 4 hours in and its decent but nothing amazing. Too many QTE's. Zero scares or jumps so fair, nothing remotely close to a fright.

Playing on the highest difficulty level available on your first run and it seems about right, ammo and herbs are in short supply and melee is balanced out by a stamina bar (or being really weak when your wounded). Enemies are more aggressive than in the demo. Friendly A.I has been improved over 5, with your teammate not being such a liability.

Daftest thing I have seen is a zombie do his pounce attack on me , managed to headshot him and take his head off mid flight but he still grabbed me and triggered a QTE, looked beyond stupid being beaten by a headless zombie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Resident Evil 5, which was Capcoms greatest commercial success in the Resident Evil Franchise by quite a margin (over 5,000,000 copies sold)
    RE5 has actually sold almost 8 million copies across all platforms. RE and RE2 have sold about 6.5m a piece.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=resident+evil

vgchartz are notoriously inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/371394/resident-evil-6-breaks-capcom-shipping-records/

i suppose its shipping than sales but 4.5 million shipped worldwide , its going to sell these numbers cause despite negative reviews towards it from fans and critics alike people are still gonna buy it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's going to be destroyed in the local sales chart by FIFA, which seems to have become a particularly unstoppable force this year. In the space of a few minutes I saw seven people buy FIFA 13 in HMV yesterday while only one picked up Resi 6.

I do remember when Resi 4 came out on Gamecube originally its sales caught everyone by surprise given its console choice. I had to order and wait a week or two after launch because everywhere was sold out of the first shipment.

It's going to be destroyed in the local sales chart by FIFA, which seems to have become a particularly unstoppable force this year. In the space of a few minutes I saw seven people buy FIFA 13 in HMV yesterday while only one picked up Resi 6.

I do remember when Resi 4 came out on Gamecube originally its sales caught everyone by surprise given its console choice. I had to order and wait a week or two after launch because everywhere was sold out of the first shipment.

I was working for HMV at the time Resi4 came out and we had a huge backlog of order for weeks after it, I think we only got in 20 copies of it initially and they were gone by lunchtime the first day, despite me telling my manager to get more in as it was going to be a big game "gamecube games never sell" was his logic. showed him though :D although this is the same guy who thought I was nuts for wanting to order in 10 copies of the first Guitar Hero as "sure who'd buy that?" we got 8, gone on day one. sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why do I still want to play this? Currently playing through Resident Evil 5 again and the temptation to go straight into 6 is pretty strong, even though I know it'll be disappointing. Will probably end up picking it up when it drops in price.

It will probably drop fast after christmas as well, that's when I'll pick it up. With such bad reviews Capcom could well have over shipped it if it sells less than expected and will be in talks about credit to distributors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Comparing games on how many units they sold is no indication of success.

E.g. 5 million copies sold, 2.5 of which could be from putting the game on sale (sale as in half price).

Advertisement