Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 6 revealed

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Know what the funny thing about Resident Evil is? That in many ways the gameplay is really quite ****. Collecting herbs, rigid movement, silly puzzles - inventive at the time, but now frustrating. Of course the atmosphere still remains unnerving, and are still largely playable, but they are games from a different era, and innovation is only to be embraced.

Resident Evil 4 gave it a kick up the arse and made the franchise relevant again while staying generally loyal to the lore. It is every bit a survival horror game. And let's not get into the 'jumping through windows' argument again :pac: It is a masterpiece of gaming, and one of the few that has been a genuine gamechanger in terms of influence. Indeed, RE1 had similar repercussions for the wider industry. Resident Evil, at its best, has been a torchbearer for innovation.

But like the countless survival horrors that followed RE1, there have been countless attempts to ape the third person shooting of RE4 (which, in many ways, has yet to be bettered by the many imitators). So they need another adrenaline injection to kick it back into life. This trailer suggests nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Know what the funny thing about Resident Evil is? That in many ways the gameplay is really quite ****. Collecting herbs, rigid movement, silly puzzles - inventive at the time, but now frustrating. Of course the atmosphere still remains unnerving, and are still largely playable, but they are games from a different era, and innovation is only to be embraced.

Resident Evil 4 gave it a kick up the arse and made the franchise relevant again while staying generally loyal to the lore. It is every bit a survival horror game. And let's not get into the 'jumping through windows' argument again :pac: It is a masterpiece of gaming, and one of the few that has been a genuine gamechanger in terms of influence. Indeed, RE1 had similar repercussions for the wider industry. Resident Evil, at its best, has been a torchbearer for innovation.

But like the countless survival horrors that followed RE1, there have been countless attempts to ape the third person shooting of RE4 (which, in many ways, has yet to be bettered by the many imitators). So they need another adrenaline injection to kick it back into life. This trailer suggests nothing of the sort.

and characters that turn like tanks :pac: rotate on your own axis before running from that dog!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was a change from a very genre that had become very stale at that point.

Dont be SILLY. While all three Resi games required rubies and Diamonds to open doors :D they were all substantially different style wise from each other. And Silent Hill was a completely different ball game too. NOTHING stale about the genre at that time. I can understand their wishes to give the player a fresh experience, as they had done it with each of the previous iterations, but what we got was action shooter dross.
    As for the story and dialogue, you're playing resident evil not Silent Hill 2 of course it's going to be cheesey with crap dialogue, it's a resident evil game after all.

A cop out excuse. Big difference between delightfully cheesy and just plain ****e.
    Not being able to move and shooting? I never understood why this was a problem with Resident Evil 4 since the game worked with this limitation.

Cant recall noticing it in 4 tbh, but in 5, maybe it was the cramped spaces and amount of enemies, it was just unplayable because of it.
    As for being too brown? I don't know what you are getting at because Resident Evil 4 is one of the few games with a wide variety of locations, unless of course you played the visually less impressive PS2 version, even then it's a good looking game.

Only ever played the GC version. Lots of locations alright, all brown, 2 of them inky blue night locations if I remember correctly.

Nothing about Resi had gone stale at the point, especially the enemies. Zombies are just timeless. Iconic. You dont see walking dead replacing Zombies with weird creatures that have bat-things explode out of their heads when shot... its just bad design and memorable only in bad terms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andy!! wrote: »
    Zombies are just timeless. Iconic.

Strongly disagree. Zombies are a great concept, but as has been wearily pointed out in many threads on this here forum recently, an increasingly ludicrous zombie oversaturation as set in in gaming (and society in general) these last few years.

Resident Evil was in fact strangely ahead of the game when it came to getting rid of zombies. Mikami and co. had great foresight to do something fresh, even before zombie hysteria set in. They kept the shambling grunts (zombies in all but name), but in not being restricted they were able to create new, creative enemies. The first time a head exploded in RE4 and that vein thing sprung out? Who didn't **** themselves and empty a whole magazine into it? Or the distant roar of a chainsaw...

Frankly, getting rid of zombies was the best thing Resident Evil ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Strongly disagree. Zombies are a great concept, but as has been wearily pointed out in many threads on this here forum recently, an increasingly ludicrous zombie oversaturation as set in in gaming (and society in general) these last few years.

Resident Evil was in fact strangely ahead of the game when it came to getting rid of zombies. Mikami and co. had great foresight to do something fresh, even before zombie hysteria set in. They kept the shambling grunts (zombies in all but name), but in not being restricted they were able to create new, creative enemies. The first time a head exploded in RE4 and that vein thing sprung out? Who didn't **** themselves and empty a whole magazine into it? Or the distant roar of a chainsaw...

Needs more dinosaurs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

very strongly disagree. there are good zombie games and there are bad zombie games.

zombies as "cultural" interest is on planet earth for decades. there were always books, movies, stories, games about them. in fact there is a boards.ie forum just for zombie survival.... that says alot.

there are plenty of snobish gamers who will say: "oh god, not zombies again, they are soooo over used".

to all those gamers i can say this: you dont like it, then dont play it. Zombies became genre in gaming, so people who like them, will play zombie games and enjoy them.

if someone likes fps shooters in sci-fi setting i dont feel a need to bitch and say " god dammit, one more sci-fi shooter! so many years they were making those ****y sci-fi shooters! sick of it! make something else! "

since i was a small boy i loved zombies. i loved them in my video games, and feck, if there will be one more GOOD zombie game i will go and play it.

if franchise were using zombies in theyr games and now decided to use something else, just because zombies are not the flavour of the month, then it is plain stupid.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-pop-block-resident-evil/726024

gt trailers took it apart.

looks like all of the characters got a partner so no proper SP game, but ****y SP + DUMBARSE AI. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

deathrider wrote: »
    Needs more dinosaurs...

They've already done it: it's called Dino Crisis :pac: In space and everything!
    very strongly disagree. there are good zombie games and there are bad zombie games.

zombies as "cultural" interest is on planet earth for decades. there were always books, movies, stories, games about them. in fact there is a boards.ie forum just for zombie survival.... that says alot.

there are plenty of snobish gamers who will say: "oh god, not zombies again, they are soooo over used".

to all those gamers i can say this: you dont like it, then dont play it. Zombies became genre in gaming, so people who like them, will play zombie games and enjoy them.

if someone likes fps shooters in sci-fi setting i dont feel a need to bitch and say " god dammit, one more sci-fi shooter! so many years they were making those ****y sci-fi shooters! sick of it! make something else! "

since i was a small boy i loved zombies. i loved them in my video games, and feck, if there will be one more GOOD zombie game i will go and play it.

if franchise were using zombies in theyr games and now decided to use something else, just because zombies are not the flavour of the month, then it is plain stupid.

Again, calling people 'snobbish' and your general penchant for namecalling does no-one any good, Shadowhearth.

I'm not getting involved in this argument again, because frankly it's ridiculous. But zombification is an example of game developers reaching some sort of lazy consensus - where originality is ignored in favour of more zombies. Sure, there are good zombie games, and there are destined to be more good zombie games. But RE4 had narrative (remember that nuclear bomb?), gameplay and artistic justifications for moving away from the traditional walking undead. And to write those - IMO, and in a lot of people's opinions - under the stubborn reasoning that the enemies aren't called zombies (and the villagers basically are zombies) is to me bizarre. I don't play zombie games I have no interest in, and I'm always willing to give new ideas a chance. RE4 had a tonne of new ideas (no-one has yet to top Valve's take on them), and was therefore IMO a masterclass in game design and forward thinking.

Now there's a game that needs rebooting... Without the space though, lol.

Again, calling people 'snobbish' and your general penchant for namecalling does no-one any good, Shadowhearth.

I'm not getting involved in this argument again, because frankly it's ridiculous. But zombification is an example of game developers reaching some sort of lazy consensus - where originality is ignored in favour of more zombies. Sure, there are good zombie games, and there are destined to be more good zombie games. But RE4 had narrative (remember that nuclear bomb?), gameplay and artistic justifications for moving away from the traditional walking undead. And to write those - IMO, and in a lot of people's opinions - under the stubborn reasoning that the enemies aren't called zombies (and the villagers basically are zombies) is to me bizarre. I don't play zombie games I have no interest in, and I'm always willing to give new ideas a chance. RE4 had a tonne of new ideas (no-one has yet to top Valve's take on them), and was therefore IMO a masterclass in game design and forward thinking.

snobish is being name calling now? i did not called you snob. and i did not addressed any member of boards.ie with insult. if i name call someone i will do it properly, so no need for that.

"general penchant for namecalling" cute... now this is personal at me, from you, i can play that game too. so lets leave it at that, okay?

In fact, my post had nothing to do with you, i was talking about "if its not popular this month, then lets find next popular thing". I dont give 2 ****s about RE4 as its old game at this stage, plus i did not even mentioned RE4 in my post, so why am i hearing about it from you again?

• Advertisement

snobish is being name calling now? i did not called you snob. and i did not addressed any member of boards.ie with insult. if i name call someone i will do it properly, so no need for that.

"general penchant for namecalling" cute... now this is personal at me, from you, i can play that game too. so lets leave it at that, okay?

In fact, my post had nothing to do with you, i was talking about "if its not popular this month, then lets find next popular thing". I dont give 2 ****s about RE4 as its old game at this stage, plus i did not even mentioned RE4 in my post, so why am i hearing about it from you again?

Just don't think it's fair labelling people who disagree snobs or fanboys, even it is a generalisation. Just think debate would be much friendlier and interesting without such judgements! I simply assumed that since your post quoted mine it was referencing the points being made.

But yes, equally happy to leave it at that. There are some arguments that will continue on for as long as the Internet as we know it exists, and the Resident Evil zombie controversy is one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

deathrider wrote: »
    Now there's a game that needs rebooting... Without the space though, lol.

Played the second one on the ps2? Loved it when I was younger. Can't beat dinosaurs! :)

tok9 wrote: »
    Played the second one on the ps2? Loved it when I was younger. Can't beat dinosaurs! :)

Would have beem on PS1, as far as I can recall. Yeah, fantastic fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I was just thinking recentely how absolutely amazing Resident Evil 4 was, really at the time, on the GC with the pressure-sensitive buttons, it was so different to anything I had ever played before. It had so many things going for it, and it's strange now when I played RE5 or saw this new trailer, I thought "Hmm, this doesn't look much better" in a graphical sense and otherwise. RE4 really was a special experience at the time, I don't think you can replicate the impact it had with another RE game now.

haha silliest sentence I've ever read on boards and I spend quite a lot of time in AH! :pac:

Andy!! wrote: »
    haha silliest sentence I've ever read on boards and I spend quite a lot of time in AH! :pac:

You've led a very sheltered forum life, my friend, if someone defending one of the most critically and gamer acclaimed games of all time is the silliest thing you've ever read :)

Wow what a way to twist it well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

ZMSDZ.jpg
    "online co-op 2 - 6"
    Doubtful, but I do not like the idea of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have no problem with online co-op as long as it's optional.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have no problem with online co-op as long as it's optional.

RE5 had co-op optional... in the end it turned out to be a must if you want even to complete a game :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was watching the opening of Resi 2 lately. Leon running through a street in flames, getting to the gun shop, watching the owner get eaten and then taking his shotty. The zombies, the music, the grittyness, all these are what makes a Resi game. Now, fair play to Capcom for modernising the genre with Resi 4 but with every game they are swapping action for atmosphere. IMO Atmosphere is what made these games so good so hopefully they play the sh*t out of Resi 1-3 to remember that. I'm really not a big fan of all these melee combos. If you run out of ammo, you should be running, not doing spin kicks and flaming uppercuts.

Sorry if already posted but here's a link to gametrailers somewhat analysis of the trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-pop-block-resident-evil/726025

Just read this on GT, I really hope someone made this up for the laugh!

Capcom UK's head of marketing, Dave Turner said: Attracting CoD fans is 'the dream,' ... We've seen the popularity of Resident Evil increase massively as the series became more action oriented - Resident Evil 5 is the biggest seller in the series. So, it makes sense for us to follow this action area more fully."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

Giving up completely on the series its such a shame that they dont care for the proper fans,i actual thought they would fix it with resident evil 6! I hope it doesn't sell well. RIP Resident Evil .. Memories will never be forgotten

Story_Bud wrote: »
    Giving up completely on the series its such a shame that they dont care for the proper fans,i actual thought they would fix it with resident evil 6! I hope it doesn't sell well. RIP Resident Evil .. Memories will never be forgotten

More chance of the sun not rising tomorrow than there is of this not selling well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

DAT cover. Can't unsee.

NSFW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Just seen an add for this on tv....this is far too early no? Unless they plan to absolutely market the sh*t out of this one?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gandalph wrote: »
    Just seen an add for this on tv....this is far too early no? Unless they plan to absolutely market the sh*t out of this one?!

Surely it must have been for Resi Revelations for 3DS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

9f7b0725f5d2f83560d20394ce33f0bf.jpg

Nobody in this thread has pointed out that the logo resembles a giraffe receiving fellatio? Real mature, and all, but information wants to be free, so...

RopeDrink wrote: »
    For the person who said they couldn't complete RE5 with the CPU AI as a partner... Try professional mode with a Co-Op player... It's far worse... This was from last night - It took nearly 1hr (3 different people) to finally find someone able to get past the first Chapter.

As for the logo - Someone has already posted the joke - Yawn.

you get unlimited weapons on professional mode?!

its still does not prove that RE5 A.I. is even half decent, its ****. this video just proves that there are tons of idiots who dont have idea how to play and go to play professional game mode. that happens in any game.

i played re5 with A.I. and the only thing i wanted to do: stab the bi*ch myself then solo all game. i bough re5 on steam, downloaded it and did not even finished chapter one, because i got tired of her standing looking at me, while getting huge axe up her arse.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    For the person who said they couldn't complete RE5 with the CPU AI as a partner... Try professional mode with a Co-Op player... It's far worse... This was from last night - It took nearly 1hr (3 different people) to finally find someone able to get past the first Chapter.

As for the logo - Someone has already posted the joke - Yawn.

If you're playing it with ramdomers, then that's your promblem right there. I never play co-op games with anyone other than friends. That way, I know how good/bad they are, and I know how much I can trust them when the action gets hot.

Advertisement