Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 6 revealed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

GameTrailers have their Resi 6 review out. Watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

penev10 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to hold the belief that an old-school RE game would sell, if so why has no other company spotted this and released an old-school survival horror to the rapturous reception of critics and players alike?

Sales wise the franchise peaked at RE2 with 3 selling a good bit less. RE3 was criticized for a lack of innovation in gameplay and sticking with the same turgid controls. The next installment (Code Veronica) tried new locations, improved plot and a better dodge move to address the criticism but it sold an all time low for the franchise. Capcom answered back with Zero (with innovative partner based gameplay and lost the storage chests) and then Outbreak, trying online play and multiple scenarios and more practical puzzles. Another all time low in sales.

Old-school RE was dead in the water 10 years ago.
    I don't think many people would see CV as a superior game to RE2 or 3. RE0 on the other hand we all know why the sales is fcked up: GC. And come on, CV initial release was on DC ffs........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

CV got ported enough times for it to find a broader audience. What's interesting is if you look at a lot of the reviews for the CVX version of the game a lot of them say the same thing more or less: the series is horribly out of touch and needs a refresh. The game wasn't all that old at the time either.

2001 IGN review
    After having played four Resident Evil games over the last five years ¿ yes, I played Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and the hidden treasure that is Resident Evil Survivor ¿ I can tell you this much about the series: I'm tired of it. It's not all that fun anymore. Everything about it is as old and creaky as the slow loading doors in Resident Evil. I mean it. The whole series needs some serious WD-40. But perhaps that's not even strong enough.

When I see a game like Capcom's genius Devil May Cry, or even play the cool, impressive Onimusha, it's nearly impossible to go back and play Resident Evil again and love it like I once did. And this is coming from a loyal Capcom man, I guy who still stubbornly defends Resident Evil to those who might slough it off as a bad game. Why? Because in the past, Resident Evil has provided me with countless jumps, scares, loads of tension, complex, surprising stories, and likeable characters. It's a rich series, but man is it aging.

The thing is if you asked me I think CV is the most underwhelming one among RE series. I replayed RE0-4 for many times but only once for CV.

Also IGN is talking the sh!t out of their asses, they are tired of a series with only 4 games back then? the same thing can apply to too many game sequels out there. You ever seen them use the same word of 'tired' to any of those fps like halo, cod etc? BS.

The initial release screwed CV big time on DC and it was ported 1 year later on ps2, the graphics and quality of the game is pretty meh to begin with. RE4 on the other hand was announced that it will be released on ps2 before its GC release and it was ported within 1 year to ps2.

The bottomline is if you played the later RE:Remake you'd agree with me that it would gain very high popularity if it wasn't only released on gc/wii. There is simply no new 'traditional' RE game properly released after RE3, while RE:Remake being the closest one and you can tell how amazing the 'traditional' game can be if things made right in the game.

Four games in the main series is quite a lot, especially when none of the four really do a whole lot to differentiate from one another. The reason I posted that review is because it's indicative of a general attitude to the Resi series in the early 00s. It's not just the fact that CV wasn't an especially great RE. At the time it was released and re-released it was obvious that the series was running out of ideas, that it was just threading water. As good as REmake is I think it says a lot that it was necessary to re-imagine the very first RE in order that something as great as REmake could be made. If it had been conceived as an original project I doubt it could have been as good. And even in 2002 awkwardly steering your character around static environments was a bit anachronistic, especially considering that CV had already made the transition to 3D.

Here is what Brak Shoemaker had to say about the series in 2003 back when he worked for Gamespot.
    Playing REC:V-X now makes you realize just how antiquated some of the series' mechanics have gotten these days. The series' much-reviled control scheme was forgivable, but these days it's just plain annoying. You're effectively driving your character around like a car, rotating on an axis and hitting up to move forward regardless of your positioning or camera angle. Now that games like Capcom's own Devil May Cry have rewritten the rules for moving around in a 3D world, the control scheme here feels positively ancient.

RE4 was a necessary game. There's no reason why a game made in the style of RE4 can't recapture the tension of the older games either. There are plenty of ways to enfeeble your character without pointlessly unintuitive controls and bad camera angles. Hell, Silent Hill has had move-and-shoot and a moveable camera since its inception and you can still get overwhelmed really easily in that.

• Advertisement

RE4 is a great game because it IS a survival horror. And it was a bold move from shinji mikami and it was not necessary (you dont believe that it would still sell pretty damn well until may be like RE10 while all being similar to RE0-3?), the man decided to bring something new to the series but still faithful to its survival horror root because he cares and passionate enough in making a good RE game for gamers.

Now look at RE5, change the face and the names of the characters you wouldn't think that it is a RE game. Even the dev said that they done many things wrong in RE5 and they wanna go back to the root in RE6.

And i am not sure why keep quoting those reviewer here. They clearly are not that into RE, period. Why? Again, you ever seen them say the same thing to halo, cod etc? Ya lets bash on these fps control please.

Brad Shoemaker is a huge fan of Resident Evil. And no, I don't believe that the series would have continued to be popular had they continued making games like REmake.

The problem with RE5 was more down to a failure to innovate than anything else. Gears of War had already perfected RE4's control scheme by the simple addition of strafe controls, but RE5 didn't even bother to include that. It's basically the RE3 of the 'new' series, just riding on the coat-tails of its predecessor but to RE3's credit at least it added 180-quickturn and ammo powders.

It's really not a question of rejecting survival horror and embracing all out action, although that's something that's been in gestation since RE2. Simply nerf melee, remove ammo drops and replace stamina bars with limping and there's no reason why you cannot make a fantastic survival horror game out of the RE4/5/6 mold. The arthritic control scheme of RE1 was never meant as a feature. It was a necessary compromise that had to be made so that the game would still be playable with its pre-rendered backdrops. With tank controls you have no chance of tripping over yourself when the camera suddenly shifts. Up ALWAYS goes forward and right ALWAYS turns you clockwise. Shoemaker is right to criticise the controls in CV because at that point the series had already introduced 3D environments, there was no longer any need for static camera angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

seraphimvc wrote: »
    RE4 is a great game because it IS a survival horror. And it was a bold move from shinji mikami and it was not necessary (you dont believe that it would still sell pretty damn well until may be like RE10 while all being similar to RE0-3?), the man decided to bring something new to the series but still faithful to its survival horror root because he cares and passionate enough in making a good RE game for gamers.

Now look at RE5, change the face and the names of the characters you wouldn't think that it is a RE game. Even the dev said that they done many things wrong in RE5 and they wanna go back to the root in RE6.

And i am not sure why keep quoting those reviewer here. They clearly are not that into RE, period. Why? Again, you ever seen them say the same thing to halo, cod etc? Ya lets bash on these fps control please.

Its being a long time since i last played resident evil 4 but i dont ever remember the game being survival horror . They gave you health and ammo out of the ass and there where some horror elements but making the enemies more human like with the occassional centipede coming out of the head is nothing horrific about it.

Only reason why resident evil 5 got slated was 3 things

1. It was more of an expansion pack of a near perfect game that was way to hard to live up two

2. The addition of co op people didnt like because a vast majority of resident evil fans wanted to play by themselves

3. No matter what additions developers do with a sequel to a beloved franchise
    Nostalgia bites you in the ass

People throw around survival horror way to much and i dont think understand the term

Survival means you stock up and gather what ammo and health you can

Horror is scary and make you vunerable

I love people tell me what made resi4 survival horror

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This thread is makin me want to play some resi today. Hmm. Might give 4 a go on the wii. Yeah, that sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Its being a long time since i last played resident evil 4 but i dont ever remember the game being survival horror . They gave you health and ammo out of the ass and there where some horror elements but making the enemies more human like with the occassional centipede coming out of the head is nothing horrific about it.

1. It was more of an expansion pack of a near perfect game that was way to hard to live up two

2. The addition of co op people didnt like because a vast majority of resident evil fans wanted to play by themselves

People throw around survival horror way to much and i dont think understand the term

I think it could have been the the whole sunny day setting aswell give me resi 4s dark grey forests anyday

Cannot wait to play this now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry but Resi 5 gets slated for one reason, it's boring. While Resi 4 manages to use the same mechanics throughout the game it never gets boring because it keeps throwing new set pieces at you that present new challenges and skew the mechanics to keep the experience fresh. Resi 5 on the other hand is the same thing over and over and it got boring fast.

I afraid alot of sh!t all the time when i was playing RE4 despite the fact that the armo is 'unlimited' (technically it is unlimited for handgun). Simple as that.

RE5? I played that game like i played Contra.

Are you seriously defending RE5 and saying it is a better RE or it is necessary to go to this direction? Why and how do you do define 'better' control in RE (i have absolutely no problem to play any existed RE). Why RE has anything to do with GoW or any fps game. I don't give a flying damn about all these because all i want is a goddamn good Resident Evil game.

Look at RE5, is that what you want? A soulless game with alot 'mainstream' sh!t thrown in for no whatsoever reason.

Funny that you mentioned survival = limited ammo and health, because that only applied to RE1, in RE0/2/3 I never run out of ammo and i have tonnes of green+red herb saved up in my magic box.

Survival horror simply means you feel afraid when you are playing the game. Limited ammo and health is a part of reasons you feel so but what more important are the atmosphere, tension built by environment, the design of events turned out etc etc.

I did not say i want an 'old' RE game, i said i want a GOOD RE game which coincidentally are RE0/1/2/3/4. It can be anything, as long as i feel like 'HOLY so this is the new RE!!!', not some Contra in disguised game.

And stop introducing these random new people when we have so much potential in using these 'old' characters developed throughout the series and YA, lets kill off the big boss which your company have spent more than a decade to develop his story in many RE titles.

God i am so angry to RE5 in too many things. This is almost the exact same case like Blizzard's D3 without blizzard north in which i decided never pay 1cent to that company.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This thread is makin me want to play some resi today. Hmm. Might give 4 a go on the wii. Yeah, that sounds good.
    Ya i am gonna dig out RE1 and 2 to play abit and the first village part of RE4 later.

And ya, simply put like retro said, the 'old' games are so much fun to play with. RE has its strong and distinct identity which made me a big fan of it and that's why I dislike the chris video so much (it is literally GoW) but somehow Ada's video looks so good. Another thing i am still holding to RE6 is Sherry will return!!

I afraid alot of sh!t all the time when i was playing RE4 despite the fact that the armo is 'unlimited' (technically it is unlimited for handgun). Simple as that.

Are you seriously defending RE5 and saying it is a better RE or it is necessary to go to this direction? Why and how do you do define 'better' control in RE (i have absolutely no problem to play any existed RE). Why RE has anything to do with GoW or any fps game. I don't give a flying damn about all these because all i want is a goddamn good Resident Evil game.

Look at RE5, is that what you want? A soulless game with alot 'mainstream' sh!t thrown in for no whatsoever reason.

I don't know if you're talking to me but if you are I never mentioned RE5 as a desirable direction for the series to go in. I only mentioned it because you did. I'm not a fan of that game at all. I would rather see the series scale things back to the simpler scenarios of RE1/2/3 and keep the control scheme of RE4, but with the strafing controls of RE6. So Dead Space's controls in other words.

As for "what does RE have to do with GoW", RE4 is the game that popularised Gears' over-the-shoulder perspective and aiming system.

For me "survival horror" is defined by a sense of unease. In the old RE games that unease was expressed through the game's claustrophobic environments and limited resources. But I've never found any of the games the least bit scary. Fatal Frame is the only game to scare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Funny that you mentioned survival = limited ammo and health, because that only applied to RE1, in RE0/2/3 I never run out of ammo and i have tonnes of green+red herb saved up in my magic box.

Survival horror simply means you feel afraid when you are playing the game. Limited ammo and health is a part of reasons you feel so but what more important are the atmosphere, tension built by environment, the design of events turned out etc etc.

I did not say i want an 'old' RE game, i said i want a GOOD RE game which coincidentally are RE0/1/2/3/4. It can be anything, as long as i feel like 'HOLY so this is the new RE!!!', not some Contra in disguised game.

And stop introducing these random new people when we have so much potential in using these 'old' characters developed throughout the series and YA, lets kill off the big boss which your company have spent more than a decade to develop his story in many RE titles.

God i am so angry to RE5 in too many things. This is almost the exact same case like Blizzard's D3 without blizzard north in which i decided never pay 1cent to that company.

Survival horror does not mean being afraid and unease , what you described is just the horror aspect of it . Atmosphere , sound all play part in making a horror game horror .

Dont want to get into a heated discussion because it doesnt really matter , majority of us hate the direction of the franchise is going .
    I dont think we ever going to have a proper resident evil game again

News coming out that capcom might remake resident evil 2 as exciting that may seem , i can see them messing it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Dead space was a good survival horror. Just putting it out there :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cloud493 wrote: »

I got it off Steam on a discount recently. Good to know.
    I've completely written off Resi at this point. I liked RE5 but all this talk about RE6 is really putting me off when you have the likes of Bioshock doing such an excellent job of immersing the player in the game's world.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Resi 5 gets slated for one reason, it's boring. While Resi 4 manages to use the same mechanics throughout the game it never gets boring because it keeps throwing new set pieces at you that present new challenges and skew the mechanics to keep the experience fresh. Resi 5 on the other hand is the same thing over and over and it got boring fast.

imo Resi 4 is one of the most brilliantly paced games ever released, there's barely any backtracking you're just constantly being propelled from one setpiece to the next over some really different locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes it is, 2 less so as it was more action based but the first is a fantastic survival horror game, it took the Resi 4 blueprint and ran with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WTF did I just play? Wasnt resident evil anyway. Just did leons bit and it was so boring! Turned off the hud straight away but it would pop again time to time. Run out of bullets? No prob just keep lashing r1 to throw a few kicks and watch heads weirdly explode. I hate crapcom so mych for what they did to this series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

sheehy83 wrote: »
    WTF did I just play? Wasnt resident evil anyway. Just did leons bit and it was so boring! Turned off the hud straight away but it would pop again time to time. Run out of bullets? No prob just keep lashing r1 to throw a few kicks and watch heads weirdly explode. I hate crapcom so mych for what they did to this series.

Kicks... making heads explode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

danthefan wrote: »

When the zombies die their heads pop off as they fall and turn to pulp before their rest of the body turns to pulp and they drop xp points in what looks like a cannister. Very weird

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

danthefan wrote: »

In RE4, there was a 6.25% chance that a melee attack would result in a critical hit or, making the enemy's head explode. I think it was 12.5% in RE5.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Survival horror does not mean being afraid and unease , what you described is just the horror aspect of it . Atmosphere , sound all play part in making a horror game horror .

Dont want to get into a heated discussion because it doesnt really matter , majority of us hate the direction of the franchise is going .
    I dont think we ever going to have a proper resident evil game again

News coming out that capcom might remake resident evil 2 as exciting that may seem , i can see them messing it up
    Well i was merely talking among the RE series. Obviously horror games like fatal frame would make the players feel scary while playing it but it is not 'survival horror'.

Yes goddamn capcom have to take the franchise further away from its root. Speaking of which, i thought the story of RE: Degeneration has so much potential for a RE game. Why must they kill off Wesker and jill is probably not gonna show up again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

krudler wrote: »
    Yes it is, 2 less so as it was more action based but the first is a fantastic survival horror game, it took the Resi 4 blueprint and ran with it.

Its such a pity that from what I seen of Dead Space 3 so far its going the way of Resi, unnecessary co-op and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

GTR63 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »

Its such a pity that from what I seen of Dead Space 3 so far its going the way of Resi, unnecessary co-op and all.

You know in dead space 3 you can still play it as single player without the AI partner

I do wish resi would give youthe option to completely ditch the AI partner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

biggebruv wrote: »
    You know in dead space 3 you can still play it as single player without the AI partner

Well thank **** for that!

Reading the comic Everybody's Dead by Brian Lynch and Dave Crosland and there's a panel involving two of our main characters, an army base, a tank an a load of zombies where one of the characters comments on how it's like Resident Evil meets CoD and how they should totally make that game. Maybe Capcom read it and we're fans

Why must they kill off Wesker and jill is probably not gonna show up again :(

I think killing Wesker was probably for the best. He reached JRPG levels of OTT theatrical mwahahahing in RE5. Series definitely needs more Jill though, she was the original face of Resident Evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

best resident evil in since the good old days..only played to chapter 3 as leon(wont say where i got it early) but it has good old traits.. running out of bullets and having to slash through a gang of and axe wieding zombies with ur knife..the zombies are very mobile aswell and jump from windows and off cars which is a nice touch..also the zombie police have assault rifles..(duck and cover wen out of ammo) and glad to see the zombie dogs roaming around again and adding a few frights along the way.. have only played it for an hour or so but like it and it plays very well...

Advertisement