Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Castlebar, Mayo

• 19-01-2012 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

RHJ wrote: »

no cable broadband in castlebar despite the fact there is man hole covers all over the place, but that madness from the town council is for another day.

you got a few choices,

westnet -wireless and fast and expensive but dont expect to be downloading huge amounts on it but they put a aerial on your building so i am not sure how you are there as you are in an apartment.

phone line - i think there is a setup charge for a phone and then you get the monthly rental. Best bet is to get a hold of some of your neighbours numbers and run tests on some of the websites to see what speeds you could get,.

mobile broadband - again you might want to see if the shops are willing to give you a trail of their products and see which is the fastest. Beware of the data caps they have on downloads.

All depends on how you are using your broadband to be honest.

Check out http://www.getbroadband.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

RHJ wrote: »

i think some of then have their own equipment in the exchanges these days.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yes, that's the one.

• Advertisement

manor village is 2.9km away no wonder i get **** speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Bit off topic, but I didn't feel as though it warranted a new thread; does anyone know where the exchange is in the Ballina area?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Across from the bus station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Wrecks my head when people on eircom NGB 47pm receive it cheaper than mine, 3 mb line for 53pm. And at that the 3 mb line is only 1.3 when tested.
    5 miles from castlebar, no NGB available.

Sorry for hijacking this thread again, just wondering if anyone has had any business with Digiweb around this area?

Looking into going with them for the 24mb broadband via DSL displayed here in the Ballina area:

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/dsl/index.html

I've read that your overall speed depends on how close proximity you are to the providers central office, is this true?

• Advertisement

@RHJ: That's brilliant cheers, will check them out. Hope it's available in the Ballina area with those speeds. I see you had Eircom as 250GB allowance, whereas on the site it say unlimited? Or is that unlimited in relation the fair usage policy?

The Eircom exchange here would be very close to me, do Vodafone use the same line as Eircom? ie, would they be technically the same?

Went with the Eircom bundle, thanks for all the advice.

Got the 24 MB package, have been told my line can handle 20mb, so realistically I'll be getting 15-17 ish, compared to my current 2 MB.

Vodafone required me to get the small package first and live in the hope that my line could handle the 24mb. Too much hassle, plus Eircom has free Setanta Sports (with whatever little sport actually worth watching on it is another story) it's a bonus.

I'll be connected next week, I'll let you all know how good/horrible it is.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

we can get 24MB broadband in cbar now? Is it much more expensive then the 8mb?

anyone know if we can get UPC around here yet?

UPC won'e be available (in the Ballina region anyway) for at least another year, if not two so a rep tells me.

Which is a pity really as it dwarfs any other provider.

Advertisement