Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American community?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I was living for 6 months in the US and I am now living in Galway and I would like to keep hanging out with Americans in Galway (I'm French myself) I really enjoyed my stay in the US and got on really well with the local people over there.

Is there a good way to meet some Americans/Canadians in Galway? (American society, gatherings, meetings, pubs, etc..)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I'm fairly certain Garveys on Eyre Square shows American Football (on Sunday nights maybe :confused: ) if thats any use to you.
    There's quite a lot of Americans in Galway from my experience but I've never heard of anybody deliberately seeking them out :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I met two earlier. Was walking back from Tesco dog lead in one hand, cigarette in the other, shopping on my back, stressed look on my face. Next thing I hear 'good evening sir'. Looked up saw the suits and badges. 'JAYSUS NOO!! I exclaimed. 'Sorry sir' says one of them and off they scuttled to find their next convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Seriously though. There are a lot in NUIG on exchange programmes and stuff. I presume there is an American Society. Might be worth checking there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

It always makes me laugh how Americans manage to stick out like a sore thumb in Galway, despite being from relatively similar cultures (lord knows most of the girls here think they're Yanks :rolleyes:). They just have a knack of looking like tourists no matter what the situation, no matter where they are. Bless em.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i think the american community in galway is based mainly in taaffes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

A few years ago the Americans in Galway formed a group with events and tours but their facebook group seems to have been abandoned.
    https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49789206641

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

You could start with this group in dublin first, they may know of something happening in galway
    http://www.meetup.com/dublin-expats/

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

nawak2000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was living for 6 months in the US and I am now living in Galway and I would like to keep hanging out with Americans in Galway (I'm French myself) I really enjoyed my stay in the US and got on really well with the local people over there.

Is there a good way to meet some Americans/Canadians in Galway? (American society, gatherings, meetings, pubs, etc..)
    There were a few Canadians involved in the Critical Mass cycles, not sure if that was by chance or a community thing. I'll ask around. Assume a PM here is the easiest way to pass on any contact details?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It always makes me laugh how Americans manage to stick out like a sore thumb in Galway, despite being from relatively similar cultures (lord knows most of the girls here think they're Yanks :rolleyes:). They just have a knack of looking like tourists no matter what the situation, no matter where they are. Bless em.

I don't think that's fair at all.

Yes, some do stick out like a sore thumb. But some, especially those who've lived here for a while, most certainly don't stick out at all. You've probably not noticed them - because they don't stick out - but I'm certainly met 'em.

And I don't agree that the cultures are similar, either.

OP, there is a fluctuating group of Americans here, AFAIK, as people come and go from NUIG. Google somelike "galway thanksgiving dinner" for leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

* Couchsurfing would be ideal to locate Americans / Canadians in Galway I would say. The site itself is mainly for visitors visiting and staying in a specific area also Galway, where folk here would offer to put them up for a night or for their stay and give them a bed for the night. I'm not sure if they have Forums on there, but if ya set up an Account anyway on the Website and you should be able to keep track of who will be visiting Galway and what Nationality they are. Even if you are unable to provide them with a bed for the night, ye can still arrange to get together and go for a drink or whatever. This Site would be an ideal use for what you are looking for I would say. :)

* Another excellent Site is Meetup. It's an International Website with a vast varied extensive range of Groups World-wide across the Globe and Continents including here in Ireland and Galway, who arrange to meet up amongst themselves. Register your profile on there, and if there's not already an Americans' in Galway Group on there, you should be able to create a Group. I think you can also divert or link through to Facebook to get more traffic to your Group on there. Here are 3 Groups I found; - American Women in Galway, which doesn't appear that active at the moment, but you could change that! :) Also there is A Galway Language Club which may be of some interest to you. And finally, a Galway MultiCultural Community Choir Group, which again may be of some interest to you.

* Other Option is Facebook! Set up a Facebook page - if there isn't one already, and maybe link it to a generalised Galway City Facebook Page or if there is any local Tourism Pages?

* Also, if you are a student here, (sorry I can't recall if ya said you were studying, but if you're attending either G.M.I.T. or N.U.I.G., tour the College and glance through their Bulletin/Notice Boards all over the walls, there may be something pinned up which could be something you are looking for.

* Also, places such as Galway Language Centre, Galway Cultural Institute, and Atlantic Language School may be worth contacting and ask if they run any Groups, or check on their Websites for Extra Curricular Activities and any such Events.

* And finally one more thing if ya do set up some Group on the Internet, maybe, it might be worth asking in the Galway City Pubs such as Taaffes and a Trad. Pub like Tigh Coilis, if ya could put up a Poster in there for your Website page where visiting Americans and Canadians would see it. In a roundabout way, it may lead to bringing them more Punters through their doors too lol! Have no idea if they would allow this though, - but if you ask the worst they can say is no! :)

Hope this information is of some use to you! And have a great time and lots of fun in your time here in Ireland and especially in Galway!:)

Disclaimer: Please Note: I have no personal affiliations with any Websites or links listed in this post! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

I'm a yank in galway and would def love to find more here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I love American girls, I love their accents and lovely faces

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Theres nice friendly Americans working in An Tobar Nua cafe on Dominick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

You could head down to Shannon Airport. There are thousands of them passing through every day. You can't miss them, they wear distinctive uniforms. In fact, they are virtually the only people left in that airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hmurray3

If you are looking to befriend Canadians, start with this: never slash Canada with America. Unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

hmurray3 wrote: »
    If you are looking to befriend Canadians, start with this: never slash Canada with America. Unforgivable.
    this is because canadians think there's a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

McTigs wrote: »
    this is because canadians think there's a difference

Canada? Oh, you mean America Lite!

Galwayps wrote: »
    A few years ago the Americans in Galway formed a group with events and tours but their facebook group seems to have been abandoned.
    https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49789206641

They formed on the high after Obama was sworn in and marched in the parade a few years back. It looks like they met recently enough. Might be worth a like to keep track of their page.

I think it is a little funny to purposely seek out expats from one country myself. But I think whether you're Irish and have lived abroad or an expat there is lots to talk about as they've different perspectives. The mix we've got is one of the things I really like about Galway.

And well done OP for not seeking out expats from your own country (not that I'd hold it against you). I was once affiliated with an insular irish expat group which was very closed minded to the people and country they were living in. What a waste of an experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Newkie,

Good point. During a few months of living in the Carribean I was shocked at how the British / US expats stuck together, didn't learn the langauge, and formed ridiculous opinions about the locals without getting to know them or their culture.

You can see the same with the Irish in South Boston or County Bondi.

But I guess in this case, the OP just likes hanging out with Americans.

And I do think that foreigners, even English speaking ones, can give great insights on life in Ireland which us natives tend to take for granted or do not even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

newkie wrote: »

quite the opposite in fact, if you've ever been there. Much more cosmopolitan than america. In fact, Ireland is probably the closest thing to America lite. pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

nawak2000 wrote: »
    Hi,

So what you are, in truth, saying is that Irish people ain't sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

deccurley wrote: »
    So what you are, in truth, saying is that Irish people ain't sh*t.

Well you have to admit, we have a certain knack for interpreting certain facts in the negative! :p

Ha ha! Bit like calling all of us British..

The States is so huge, I found New Yorkers say might as well be from a different country entirely to Texans etc. It's the State to State differences in custom, food, etc that I found cool.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ha ha! Bit like calling all of us British.
    More like calling us European, since Canada is part of North America.

Ha ha! Bit like calling all of us British.
    More like calling us European, since Canada is part of North America.
    Yeah, and some maps we are still 'British Isles' too, if we ate going on the geographical. You get my point though :)

Yeah, and some maps we are still 'British Isles' too, if we ate going on the geographical. You get my point though :)
    The island of Éire is part of the British Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

The island of Éire is part of the British Isles.

Unfortunately, Up the RA :D
    jokes:pac:

Ug, this is why OP doesn't want to hang out with you.

Ug, this is why OP doesn't want to hang out with you.
    OP should find another country if they have a problem with the Irish. May I suggest the Middle East, plenty of Americans there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't think that's fair at all.

Yes, some do stick out like a sore thumb. But some, especially those who've lived here for a while, most certainly don't stick out at all.
    Well if they've been acclimatised to Ireland and bought their clothes here they'll be harder to spot but Americans really do stand out where ever they go on holidays. There's just something about the clothes they wear and the way they act that's distinctly American and easy to spot.

Advertisement