Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American community?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well if they've been acclimatised to Ireland and bought their clothes here they'll be harder to spot but Americans really do stand out where ever they go on holidays. There's just something about the clothes they wear and the way they act that's distinctly American and easy to spot.

I'd qualify that by saying it's often Americans from the 'middle'. And older folk. Backpackers from America look like every other backpacker usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'd qualify that by saying it's often Americans from the 'middle'. And older folk. Backpackers from America look like every other backpacker usually.
    I reckon I could still spot them but I did spend a few months backpacking around Europe where it's mostly Yanks and Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

ScumLord wrote: »
    I reckon I could still spot them but I did spend a few months backpacking around Europe where it's mostly Yanks and Australians.

My wife noticies a particular "clean-cut" thing about American students. I think a lot of it is the clothes, baseball caps, and a boisterous attitude.

I think another cultural thing thats noticiable is Americans are usually really friendly... until they get to know you and decide they hate you. And here we usually assume we'll hate you... and slowly begrudgingly admit you're not so bad.

But as someone else pointed out, you only ever notice the ones that stand out. The rest walked right by you while you were thumbing your nose at the obvious frat boys outside the King's Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

yes, they are quite easy to spot no matter how they are dressed. but then again you would know an irish person abroad, from a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Any americans in Galway interested in joining an American football team as a coach or player?
    The team name is Galway Warriors and we have a good bunch of dedicated guys. Link to Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/GalwayWarriorsFootball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Oh yawn ha ha ha, worse still you are out of date since Iraq went quiet. Fact is that there are plenty of Americans in town.

I'm puzzled why you feel the need to resurrect this zombie thread. Bored eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Mainly due to it being called an American community forum!, be it out of date or not.
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Any interest yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

yes, they are quite easy to spot no matter how they are dressed. but then again you would know an irish person abroad, from a mile away.

Yeup , ginger , buck teeth , walk like they are suck in a wet bog , freckles , farmer tan,,, i could goowen...Like

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There are a lot in NUIG alright, most only come for one semester. Im involved in a few clubs that a lot of them join and they're usually great craic. I doubt there are too many Americans who aren't students or tourists in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

MadYaker wrote: »
    I doubt there are too many Americans who aren't students or tourists in Galway.

There are hundreds of American citizens who are residents in the city...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

jased10s wrote: »
    Yeup , ginger , buck teeth , walk like they are suck in a wet bog , freckles , farmer tan,,, i could goowen...Like

:D

Advertisement