Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parthenaise heifer

• 20-01-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hello. i'm recently bought a pbr parthenaise heifer and ai'd her back in november. when i was getting her ai'd the only part straw he had available was universal so i went ahead. i am starting to worry looking at his figures wether or not she will be fit to calve it, and i am wondering what i can do to ease calving. Also has anybody else tried uni on any heifers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

if shes a big able heifer she should be find if you feed her hay and a pre calver bucket with her she'll be fine.
    what tickled your fancy to buy one?
    if you dont mind me asking where did buy her?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 frd

she is about 24 months at present and is well framed. i seen them at tullamore in august and thought they were a very showy calve.once i heard about low birth weights and very quiet nature i was sold as i mostly work on my own and have two main roads going through are farm so docility is very important for me. i bought the calve in antrim in august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

frd wrote: »
    she is about 24 months at present and is well framed. i seen them at tullamore in august and thought they were a very showy calve.once i heard about low birth weights and very quiet nature i was sold as i mostly work on my own and have two main roads going through are farm so docility is very important for me. i bought the calve in antrim in august.

Any prob getting her registered with the irish parth crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Calving next Aug/Sept. You may keep her tight on grass, the last thing you want is a fat heifer heavy incalf. Small bare paddock with water one side, hay the other and mineral in between!
    Was she scanned incalf? We occasionally see a heifer bulled that time of the year appear incalf, ie not come back bulling only to be empty and not cycling as strong in the winter.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Any prob getting her registered with the irish parth crowd?

not an issue as im from the north and will probably register it with their society anyway. very expensive though , £150

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Calving next Aug/Sept. You may keep her tight on grass, the last thing you want is a fat heifer heavy incalf. Small bare paddock with water one side, hay the other and mineral in between!
    Was she scanned incalf? We occasionally see a heifer bulled that time of the year appear incalf, ie not come back bulling only to be empty and not cycling as strong in the winter.

not scanned yet but testing on monday must get it done then. when do most start to restrict grass intake

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

not scanned yet but testing on monday must get it done then. when do most start to restrict grass intake

About 6wks before calving, but don't over do it either. Heard of a lad not too far away from here with su cows in calf to a bb bull on bare grass last yr, some busybody reported him for cruelty.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

blue5000 wrote: »
    About 6wks before calving, but don't over do it either. Heard of a lad not too far away from here with su cows in calf to a bb bull on bare grass last yr, some busybody reported him for cruelty.

and what happened to them after that? did he get done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Lots of hassle from dept:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Make sure you give her plenty of Precalver for the final 6 weeks as if a cow is restricted she needs her minerals, a neighboor of mine's Heart is broken:mad: with retained afterbirth as he restricted the feed and neglected the minerals.;)

• Advertisement

tested heifer and not incalf it turns out. don't know whether to be sad or happy. going to get a sirex straw arranged and going to get calf brought on to heat on Thursday when cows are being read

tested heifer and not incalf it turns out. don't know whether to be sad or happy. going to get a sirex straw arranged and going to get calf brought on to heat on Thursday when cows are being read

BZB could be an option for you too. Easier calved than IRX.

I assume it's the heifer you're going to attempt to get bulling for Thur.
    I wish over the years I could get compliance like that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I got caught out badly in september calving a PB heifer to IRX. CBQ or BZB might be safer options

I got caught out badly in september calving a PB heifer to IRX. CBQ or BZB might be safer options

how did you end up with her

Big dead heifer calf. Cow was ok but the calf was pretty big at the hips. wouldnt be in a rush to use IRX on heifers again (if a straw could be got that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Big dead heifer calf. Cow was ok but the calf was pretty big at the hips. wouldnt be in a rush to use IRX on heifers again (if a straw could be got that is)

Just wondering did you keep onto her after? I remember you saying she was pretty mad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

well i dont have her so he must have kept her:mad:.

well the guy I bought her off heard what happened and agreed to take her back and sell me a fresh calved french imported heifer with a Richelieu heifer at foot for a grand. He didnt have to do it, I didnt hold him responsible for what happened and I told him that much.
    The new girl probably isnt quite as stylish as the other one but she is 99% there and she is quite as a lamb.

well the guy I bought her off heard what happened and agreed to take her back and sell me a fresh calved french imported heifer with a Richelieu heifer at foot for a grand. He didnt have to do it, I didnt hold him responsible for what happened and I told him that much.
    The new girl probably isnt quite as stylish as the other one but she is 99% there and she is quite as a lamb.

That was decent of him. You'll get into a herd just as quick now.
    Have you a straw picked out for the new heifer?

managed to dig up a couple of straws of TBX so they'll do the cow this time round and the calf when her time comes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

managed to dig up a couple of straws of TBX so they'll do the cow this time round and the calf when her time comes
    good stuff, any chance of a pic sometime?

Hey bogman, jsut wondering what kind of calf does richeliu throw? Thats sound of the fella you bought off to be fair.

What way do the parts cross with a charolais, I know they are a lovely golden colour but it seems to be a mixed bag wit them, seen a lot of black calves out of red lims on their facebook page, would they breed a lot of mousey coloured calves if they were crossed with a charolais?? Lovely looking cattle though in fairness, the more I look at them the more I fancy them.

LINK to the pics here for anyone that hasnt seen them.

What way do the parts cross with a charolais, I know they are a lovely golden colour but it seems to be a mixed bag wit them, seen a lot of black calves out of red lims on their facebook page, would they breed a lot of mousey coloured calves if they were crossed with a charolais?? Lovely looking cattle though in fairness, the more I look at them the more I fancy them.

LINK to the pics here for anyone that hasnt seen them.

hmm varies abit, i have about 9 of them this year from my own ch heifers, mostly orangey colored heifers but a few white ones as well, all of the calves nearly are the same orangey color, 1 solid color. I noticed last year though that some of the bulls got darker and darker in color as they got older but I had 2 heifers from 2 red lm cows last year and both stayed pure red lim color and Id say whoever bought them thought he was buying 2 lims :)
    so basically i think from red lm cows they would prob stay red but they prob arent a brilliant cross with the ch as some of them can go that dirty color. the purebred ones are really lovely cattle

hmm varies abit, i have about 9 of them this year from my own ch heifers, mostly orangey colored heifers but a few white ones as well, all of the calves nearly are the same orangey color, 1 solid color. I noticed last year though that some of the bulls got darker and darker in color as they got older but I had 2 heifers from 2 red lm cows last year and both stayed pure red lim color and Id say whoever bought them thought he was buying 2 lims :)
    so basically i think from red lm cows they would prob stay red but they prob arent a brilliant cross with the ch as some of them can go that dirty color. the purebred ones are really lovely cattle

Ya they are real fancy looking cattle, They seem to be a lovely cross with the blues, They put great scope into them!!

good stuff, any chance of a pic sometime?

Yeah might get to do it this Saturday

@John Pawl - Yeah, Must say he's a gent.
    The calf is a bit small but a) she is the youngest and only heifer in the batch so its a bit unfair tio compare and
    b) her mammy isnt overloaded with milk. She lost a quarter which didnt help either. The shape is there though and I recon she'll take off when she hits fresh grass.

Richilieu has milk in his pedigree so that should help a bit. The big selling point is his calving ease

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Yeah might get to do it this Saturday

@John Pawl - Yeah, Must say he's a gent.
    The calf is a bit small but a) she is the youngest and only heifer in the batch so its a bit unfair tio compare and
    b) her mammy isnt overloaded with milk. She lost a quarter which didnt help either. The shape is there though and I recon she'll take off when she hits fresh grass.

Richilieu has milk in his pedigree so that should help a bit. The big selling point is his calving ease

Do they all the parts calve on there own in your experience?

I cant say. My experience is very limited. I've only calved one and that was the dead calf I talked about. But from my research they seem to be ok. Like all breeds there is variation between different cows and bulls

In saying that I dont think there is a breed in the world that can claim that ALL cows calve on their own.

kboc wrote: »
    Do they all the parts calve on there own in your experience?[/QUOTE
    nope..well just from my own experience some of the heifers calved themselves no probs but I had good enough pulls with 1 or 2 also. possibly my own fault as the heifers were mud fat when they calved. the guy i bought my bull off told me alot of his pure breds calf unassisted but sure what else could he say ;)

• Advertisement

nope..well just from my own experience some of the heifers calved themselves no probs but I had good enough pulls with 1 or 2 also. possibly my own fault as the heifers were mud fat when they calved. the guy i bought my bull off told me alot of his pure breds calf unassisted but sure what else could he say ;)

that the problem with a minor breed, most of the calves are on pedigree farms so you'll only hear the best about them.

Though I hear the Limo men running them down a bit so they cant be too bad if the Limo boys are worried enough to bad mouth them :D

put a pic up of that bull please :D, just been nosey:rolleyes:,got a phone call from the guy i bought bull,he has broken his tail so on the look out again, i know he could be fine but leg wax has lost a bull before with a broken tail.

leg wax wrote: »
    put a pic up of that bull please :D, just been nosey:rolleyes:,got a phone call from the guy i bought bull,he has broken his tail so on the look out again, i know he could be fine but leg wax has lost a bull before with a broken tail.

will get one at weekend if i think of it

will get one at weekend if i think of it
    i will remind you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

i will remind you:D[/QUOTE
    you might dig out a pic of that tasty heifer you had at the ploughing so

• Advertisement

is that your lady Paka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

is that your lady Paka?
    I wish! No, just liked the photo! :D
    I'd say the Blue out of a Parth cow would be a great cross. No shortage of muscle anyway.

i will remind you:D[/QUOTE
    you might dig out a pic of that tasty heifer you had at the ploughing so
    shes standing at the creep gate at the start because shes on the wrong side of the cubical the brown spotty one and comes in the gate around .56 on video

shes standing at the creep gate at the start because shes on the wrong side of the cubical the brown spotty one and comes in the gate around .56 on video

she looks good when she turns in the cubicle before going thru gate, what kinda username did you give yourself on youtube? legwax already gone was it :p

• Advertisement

fr338.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fr338.jpg

thanks for that whats his breeding and who did you buy him from,the part lads seem to be very fair and nice to deal with,they are haveing farm walks on feb 5 a sunday up around the midlands going to 4 farms,will i see you there.

thanks for that whats his breeding and who did you buy him from,the part lads seem to be very fair and nice to deal with,they are haveing farm walks on feb 5 a sunday up around the midlands going to 4 farms,will i see you there.

pm sent with details of breeder. this bull was out of a stock bull, his grand sire would be panache, my ch cows i think are prob not the best cross with the pt but he has been ideal on heifers. have you crossed any blonde cows with PT wax? first I heard of farm walk but would be interested to go if i can make it, where can i get more details on the walk?

Ya I'd be interested in this walk too, heard nothing!
    Actually, just heard about it. Could be interesting.
    I hear people say that "Ronchon" is the bull for muscle.

pm sent with details of breeder. this bull was out of a stock bull, his grand sire would be panache, my ch cows i think are prob not the best cross with the pt but he has been ideal on heifers. have you crossed any blonde cows with PT wax? first I heard of farm walk but would be interested to go if i can make it, where can i get more details on the walk?
    any cow that was not goob enough for a blue got a part,a snx heifer had a brill cbq heifer ,she didnt even know she had her as she was so small but is after filling out with a wide back and muscle.ring sheila daly the secretary 0872222875.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Ya I'd be interested in this walk too, heard nothing!
    Actually, just heard about it. Could be interesting.
    I hear people say that "Ronchon" is the bull for muscle.
    the bull i thought i had bought was by ronchon and after seeing his full brothers calves i was happy to go on his breeding rather than looks,the owner had 1 super super calf and when he showed me her mother i was a happy camper,she was the only blonde cow he had and she was the same type of cow which i have.

the bull i thought i had bought was by ronchon and after seeing his full brothers calves i was happy to go on his breeding rather than looks,the owner had 1 super super calf and when he showed me her mother i was a happy camper,she was the only blonde cow he had and she was the same type of cow which i have.

fr20.jpg

this is the bull I initially got but he wasnt interested in cows or so it seemed...sigh
    he was by Azur, pity he looked like he would turn into a lovely bull

vander have you got the part year book and if you do which bull would you choose as you stock bull from pages 34-35:confused:

I only got a letter about it yesterday. 3 farms in 1 day. Pity I'm down in Waterford that day

vander have you got the part year book and if you do which bull would you choose as you stock bull from pages 34-35:confused:

I have the book alright at home somewhere, at work now. do you mean the all look similar?

• Advertisement
Advertisement