Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parthenaise heifer

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

I only got a letter about it yesterday. 3 farms in 1 day. Pity I'm down in Waterford that day
    welcome t the sunny south east what part are you visiting,city county.

I have the book alright at home somewhere, at work now. do you mean the all look similar?
    no, which bull would you like as your stock bull,[they do look a lot like each other]:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

leg wax wrote: »
    welcome t the sunny south east what part are you visiting,city county.

Cappoquinn. Macra Capers final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

I have the book alright at home somewhere, at work now. do you mean the all look similar?
    no, which bull would you like as your stock bull,[they do look a lot like each other]:cool:

firstly, I think the Irish part society are doing a poor job in promoting the breed. this is a new relatively new breed, and I hear more about them on here than anywhere else??? their web site is hardly ever updated and all the herd pictures are linked to facebook, which I think you need a facebook account to access some/ most of them. the should have herd profiles and farm walks on their web site like limo and Simmental web sites do???? also this Craic with having to buy 10 straws min for a bull. again this doesn't help lads to try them out etc. anyway that's 2 cents worth.

now back to the question in hand

I'm assuming we are looking at the same book- I got mine at the ploughing!!!!
    hard to tell from a picture, but if I was looking for a stock bull from those pictures I'd go for something along the lines of atomic, bourvil, vendeen. I like the length in smarti but don't like his head.

what's ur pick leg wax????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

smarti maybe just going on photos, very hard know. azur also

bourvil for me or richelieu both different types of bulls with different strengths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Do you know Vulain(VUL), also on those pages, can be got from Munster AI.

Richelieu (S946) looks very deep bodied compared to the rest. That might be good for breeding heifers. He might be hard calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Richelieu (S946) looks very deep bodied compared to the rest. That might be good for breeding heifers. He might be hard calving.[/Quote]

yeah his a fine bull alright. his 3 stars for milk and 4 stars for calving (across breeds) on the part web page. reliability is fairly low though, so he might be a option for for replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

can one of use tell me are the parts a small breed like blues or are they a big tall breed like limousines ?

• Advertisement

they are pretty similar to limos.

Here is a few pics of my girl. the calf has an awful dose of ring worm. but the longer days and sunlight should take care of that.

IMG_0544[1].jpg

IMG_0545[1].jpg

IMG_0546[1].jpg

IMG_0550[1].jpg

Here is a few pics of my girl. the calf has an awful dose of ring worm. but the longer days and sunlight should take care of that.

good stuff what age is the calf? and what is he buy? they'll be a fine looking pair when they clean up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

limo_100 wrote: »
    can one of use tell me are the parts a small breed like blues or are they a big tall breed like limousines ?

I've seen some big big Part cows. Over a tonne liveweight. There seems to be a good bit of variation within the breed, but I suppose that is in every breed.

good stuff what age is the calf? and what is he buy? they'll be a fine looking pair when they clean up

the calf is 3 months and to be honest a little hungry. The cow is a bit short of milk. Hope to get the calf home soon and start her on some meal. Shes by Richelieu

the calf is 3 months and to be honest a little hungry. The cow is a bit short of milk. Hope to get the calf home soon and start her on some meal. Shes by Richelieu

she'll come fairly quickly so. Have you your heifer back in calf yet?
    I was thinking of using a part bull on a limousine heifer. would that be a good cross?

• Advertisement

I was thinking of using a part bull on a limousine heifer. would that be a good cross?

ya should be,they bring nice red color from red lims

ya should be,they bring nice red color from red lims

you have a part bull dont you? what cows do you find suit the bull best? I heard blues and a part bull is a great cross

you have a part bull dont you? what cows do you find suit the bull best? I heard blues and a part bull is a great cross

yep, mostly ch cows, not the best cross probably but have some nice enough calves, color not brill though. only have 2 or 3 red lim cows, 2 of them had pt calves last year, you would swear both calves were red lims except for black nose. they were nice enough heifers. so i think red lims would be a good enough cross, down the road i would like to keep a few pt heifer and see how they go with a blue bull

yep, mostly ch cows, not the best cross probably but have some nice enough calves, color not brill though. only have 2 or 3 red lim cows, 2 of them had pt calves last year, you would swear both calves were red lims except for black nose. they were nice enough heifers. so i think red lims would be a good enough cross, down the road i would like to keep a few pt heifer and see how they go with a blue bull

are you happy with your part bull? Are you gona have to change your cows abit to match your bull or whats your plan?

Well she was served about a week ago so fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Well she was served about a week ago so fingers crossed

back a parthenaise bull is it? Are you planning on breeding a stock bull from her for yourself

She was searved with TBX.

If I get a bull I'll be selling him for breeding. We're 100% AI and I'm happy enough to keep it like that for the moment.

do any of use have calves of this cambridge (CBQ) yet?

are you happy with your part bull? Are you gona have to change your cows abit to match your bull or whats your plan?

well I have a ch bull as well, I ran the ch bull with cows and left the pt bull with heifers. so I have 2 yr old heifers again now fit for bull so not sure whether to let him at them or just sell them

do any of use have calves of this cambridge (CBQ) yet?

I saw pedigree calves on Ger scallys farm and was very impressed

I saw pedigree calves on Ger scallys farm and was very impressed

not so bad. hes the only i could get because i think PG only have one that they own and its him. There wouldnt be alot of parts used around here so i would think thats the one he carries

well I have a ch bull as well, I ran the ch bull with cows and left the pt bull with heifers. so I have 2 yr old heifers again now fit for bull so not sure whether to let him at them or just sell them

well at least by using a bull for the heifers he'll put them all in calf as soon as they come a bullin. it can be hard enough to pick up heifers some times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Fine cow bogman, whats her breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Suarez7

ordered 5 straws of Vulain.didn't chance uni coz of his docility figures.....gonna try him on a few red limos and a couple of good blue cows to see what they are like.PG recommend vulain for replacements so maybe he is worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

the bull i thought i had bought was by ronchon and after seeing his full brothers calves i was happy to go on his breeding rather than looks,the owner had 1 super super calf and when he showed me her mother i was a happy camper,she was the only blonde cow he had and she was the same type of cow which i have.

what would you think of this one on donedeal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2947272

• Advertisement

johnpawl wrote: »
    what would you think of this one on donedeal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2947272
    great bull, i was down in cork last weekend and that bull was 5 miles down the road futher and i would not go to see him as he would not tell me how much he wanted for him.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Fine cow bogman, whats her breeding?

She is a French cow by a bull called Brady. I never heard of him I'm presuming that he is a stock bull. He has Grillon in his pedigree.
    Her mother is by Obelix.
    She was bought at a show in France. She didnt win anything but the way I see it, if she was fit to go to a show over there she cant be too bad

Another bull for sale, sire - Atica, €3250
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2877514

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pakalasa wrote: »
    Another bull for sale, sire - Atica, €3250
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2877514

He has been for sale on and off for a couple of months, wonder why he hasnt sold?

Anbody go to the farmwalks today?

Anbody go to the farmwalks today?
    was going to head up this morning but chap who was supposed to be going with me pulled out at last min so i didnt bother going by myself, would like dot have gone though

yes we went up and had a great day,went to 4 farms ,some great stock on show ,its a cold part ot this little country up there.

would have liked to go but had a car load of lads (no farmers) with me coming back from waterford

Ger scally has Impressive stock doesnt he?

Ger scally has Impressive stock doesnt he?

Did he show the smashing BBQ heifer out of the Part cow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

yes we went up and had a great day,went to 4 farms ,some great stock on show ,its a cold part ot this little country up there.

where was the farm walk?

kboc wrote: »
    where was the farm walk?
    offaly and westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 9 frd

got my heifer ai'd a couple of weeks ago and im just after putting on a detector pad. was wondering though whether or not heavily incalf cows would jump enough to show heat. they are due to calf from may onwards.

frd wrote: »
    got my heifer ai'd a couple of weeks ago and im just after putting on a detector pad. was wondering though whether or not heavily incalf cows would jump enough to show heat. they are due to calf from may onwards.

Some are demons for it, even heavy in calf. In fact I've seen heavy incalf cows standing like on heat!
    Just keep a close eye on the heifer coming up to the three weeks, (a few days each side of 3 weeks), often the first sign of heat will be the heifer herself trying to rise on the cows. So be vigilant.

I saw an eight month in-calf cow continously mounting a heifer in heat there only last week.

On the subject of cows bulling.
    We had a cow coming bulling broke her leg on slats during the week. Sickener it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 frd

do any of ye have any experience with heat detectors, i used one of those scratchcard like ones

Advertisement