Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Kerry Retro Thread!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I remember this question came up in a pub quiz in the med's sometime in the eighties but forget the answer. Was it Jimmy Foley's the undertakers?

O'Donnells in Mounthawk were showing some amazing video footage of the town circa 1983 this evening. It seems the chef's brother took the video. The are showing 4 x 30min clips in a continuous loop.

RevBJ

Was it O'Keefe's Furniture? The number now is 066 7121001 which looks like it was once tralee 1

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Spot on !

6956334584_9b4b8b9152_z.jpg
    Was it O'Keefe's Furniture? The number now is 066 7121001 which looks like it was once tralee 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I remember this question came up in a pub quiz in the med's sometime in the eighties but forget the answer. Was it Jimmy Foley's the undertakers?

O'Donnells in Mounthawk were showing some amazing video footage of the town circa 1983 this evening. It seems the chef's brother took the video. The are showing 4 x 30min clips in a continuous loop.

RevBJ

I would have loved to watch those clips. I wonder if he'd consider uploading them to Youtube. I know someone uploaded a clip of driving through Dublin City Centre in 1976 and it has become a big Youtube hit. Any significant scenes or events captured?

1983 is possibly the first year I can clearly recall incidents from. I remember that year (as I was in 3rd class) watching from my school window (in Holy Family school) a big JCB or crane with one of those big demolishing balls knock down the old Georgian Garda Barracks in High Street. Since replaced with the newer red brick station. I remember Woolworths where Penneys is now shutting down around that time too - the pick'n'mix was a kid's fantasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I'd love to see those clips too, for vehicular reasons! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RevBJ

I heard that if you bring up a memory stick gary will transfer it for you.

I notice in the wetlands centre that Tralee's second river is called something like the River Gyle! I grew up playing in and on the banks of the Big River (Amhain Beag) and I never heard of the River Gyle. Is this a Dingle-Dangean thing?

We played football in Crean's Field (where Na gael is now, but Creans Land extended from the dog track to the novitiate). Speaking of the novitiate Hurricane Charlie II washed away the bridge on the novitiate lane in August 86.

I remember when they built "the culvert" to divert the Big River from under the Mall down Denny St, across Pierce Park and across in front of the Brandon in the early to mid 70's. This was better than the graveyard across from Mulchinocks shop.

I remember contemplating "mooching" (Tralee version of mitching) when the favoured route was up the lane along the Big River behind the dog track.

On one occasion we launched a exploration trip to find the source of the Big River and ended up drenched wet somewhere up in Laharn.

Can we have a campaign to restore the Big River to its rightful place?

RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I notice in the wetlands centre that Tralee's second river is called something like the Glyda! I grew up playing in and on the banks of the Big River (Amhain Beag) and I never heard of the Glyda. Is this a Dingle-Dangean thing?
    RevBJ

Surely Amhain Beag means Little River, no?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Surely Amhain Beag means Little River, no?

Yes Amhain Beag means little river but to english ears it sounded like owen beg or Beg River which morphed into Big River!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah, was wondering about that! When I first moved to Tralee back in 1980

There's something very typically and satisfyingly Tralee about a little river being know as the Big River.:D

Yes its a little river but when in spate it can be big and very dangerous!

The wet lands centre calls it the River Gyle !

As far as I was aware the Gyle is the official name alright, you will find it on official maps.

But the beg/big link that is very interesting !
    Yes Amhain Beag means little river but to english ears it sounded like owen beg or Beg River which morphed into Big River!

Some great colourised photos taken in Kerry in the 1930's

http://digitalcollections.ucsc.edu/cdm/search/collection/p265101coll30/searchterm/kerry/

Marvellous! I wonder who the striking workers behind the chimney sweeps were? I would guess they were in front of Revingtons looking across the mall to Twomeys bar.

I havent been able to find the River Gyle on any of the old ordinance maps but will keep looking!

Its the big river on all the ordinance maps from the mid 1800's to the present day.

Advertisement