Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions of rivers to fish this year?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Eagerly awaiting the new fly fishing season. This year I'm hoping to spread my wings to use a pun and looking to fish a few different rivers. I fish the dodder a bit and the Liffey in Lucan and kilcullen but would like to try other places with in reasonable distance of Dublin, never know might even get the permission slip for a nights stay over some where too! So anyone got any good suggestions? River preferable, but I would like a trip out on corrib or mask too at some stage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you're fishing Mask the Robe River is worth a cast - excellent dry fly fishing and a great stock of trout. Very lightly fished too, you're unlikely to meet too many fellow anglers. Know a guy who had a 7lbs 2oz trout on a nymph last season...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    If you're fishing Mask the Robe River is worth a cast - excellent dry fly fishing and a great stock of trout. Very lightly fished too, you're unlikely to meet too many fellow anglers. Know a guy who had a 7lbs 2oz trout on a nymph last season...
    The kells blackwater is a lovely river. I usually get a few days on it during the year. Very reasonable day ticket rate. Handy spin from Dublin aswell. Another I get to is the nore and some small tribs out of durrow. Bit further to get to but well worth the effort. You should get o reillys river book (and the lake one). Infinite trips can be planned from them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Give the Boyne in Trim a try. Always a good river.

https://sites.google.com/site/tadanglers/

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Boyne is well worth ago for trout, caught some nice trout on the Drogheda club strech in 2010 while most were after the salmon. And Trim as mentioned.

In Louth you have the Dee and Glyde which are fairly good.
    Never fished the Glyde but have the Dee with some nice small trout on small midge dry fly and nymphs.
    A mate of mine got smashed by quite a big sea trout on the Dee near the old Dublin Belfast road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

Give the Barrow a try. From Milford down is very good. Some nice fish over the pound mark nearly every night i go out mid summer. Also a good chance of getting a fish over 5lb. worth a try for you. Beautiful stretch of river that can be waded. Would recommend a wading stick do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yeah can be good some years but poor others
    Always worth a look.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Know a guy who had a 7lbs 2oz trout on a nymph last season...

that's a beast of a trout for a river like the robe, what time of year was it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

jodie85 wrote: »
    Give the Barrow a try. From Milford down is very good. Some nice fish over the pound mark nearly every night i go out mid summer. Also a good chance of getting a fish over 5lb. worth a try for you. Beautiful stretch of river that can be waded. Would recommend a wading stick do.
    Is this club water?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Looks like that's one of the few stretches of the barrow that is a cub water to me

Advertisement