Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need tips/advice please

Options
  • 20-01-2012 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi all,

A very good friend of mine wishes to get into writing of some sort. She's qualified in English, and has a tremendous grasp of both grammer and language, but is struggling a little to find her way into the industry.

Do you guys have any tips on where to maybe free-lance to gain experience, and if so, what sites/magazines expect from those starting off? Possible places to work? Copyright houses in the country/online?

Anything to help her would be greatly appreciated,
    e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What are her interests and strengths? Oddly enough, for a commercial writer, a tremendous grasp of English is not necessarily required. Good basic English and the ability to write engagingly and accurately is more useful.

I used to work with a journalist who got an A+ in honours English, and he was a pain in the behind. He could not use a short sentence if he could contrive a long one, and he never used a simple word if there was an obscure one available. And he never got his copy written on time.

One area she might consider is editing. With the explosing in self-publishing, and with even tradional publishers now expecting perfect MSs, there is a demand for an editor who can go over a novel, and correct spellings, grammar, poor word choices, stuff like that. I believe around $1 a page is about the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

1 Dollar per page?
    Wow, that's underpaid ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Double spaced with big margins. So $1 per 250-300 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

That's still not much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Maybe not Kickarykee, but the initiator did say 'anything to help her would be greatly appreciated ' I think EileenG has done just that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DorkBaller

Wow that's cheap. Your friend can try writing in freelancing sites. I believe the going rate for native English speakers is $2 per 100 words.

Your friend can also try contributing to Yahoo. Although it's free, it can help build portfolio.

Advertisement