Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical engineering course

Options
  • 20-01-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hiya lads - can anyone tell me anything about the mech. engineering course there? Do you like it, what are the classes like, any tips for an incoming first year, etc?

Also just out of interest...how many girls are in you class? If any, ha!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You need to be mathematically inclined to do well in it. Probably 60-70% of module content will use maths, or depend on the sort of analytical skills required to do well in maths.

Regarding gender balance, it's heavily male dominated. When I graduated in 2001, there were 7 girls in a graduating class of 69. Things may have improved since though, especially with the division of the course that's happened since (back then Biomedical was an optional stream within Mech Eng and CA didn't exist).

Having physics, chemistry and/or applied maths for Leaving Cert will stand to you in the first year of the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OisinOGorman

Any info would be much appreciated. Its first choice on my level 7s on the cao, if i dont get LM095 ill take mech eng in LIT. My LC subjects are engineering, chemistry, geography, biology, and english irish and maths. Are any of these, besides the obvious going to stand to me? Any help from anyone who's done the course would be appreciated, and anyone who is employed in engineering, have ye any wisdom to share? :pac:

Edit: Only noticed this was in the UL section now.. :P Any information about either course, UL or LIT? Id say ill end up taking the LIT one because I only have ordinary level maths (spent the last 4 and a half years in a higher level class, so im not too bad at it, and yes i know there's a entrance exam thingy).
    Both courses seem to be great, only difference that bothers me is the whole level 7/8, but i can always (which i wouldnt dream of not doing) finish it off with another year/2 years to bring it up to a level 8 if I end up in LIT, which would then allow me to be recognised by Engineers Ireland as a fully qualified engineer, correct me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Had some metal bashers in my modules before, all of em were guys.
    Be prepared to do some nasty modules in first year, no one liked electrical science 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

[Rasta] wrote: »
    nasty modules in first year, no one liked electrical science 1.

Damn right, its f*cking HORRIBLE!! xD xD

Advertisement