Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to College in Australia

Options
  • 20-01-2012 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

I am hopefully getting a job offer in WA so I'll be heading over on a 457 visa. My son is just doing his leaving cert and we are wondering about getting him into college in Australia. Has anybody got any experience of getting into Third level there, costs as compared to Ireland etc.. Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

No6 wrote: »
    I am hopefully getting a job offer in WA so I'll be heading over on a 457 visa. My son is just doing his leaving cert and we are wondering about getting him into college in Australia. Has anybody got any experience of getting into Third level there, costs as compared to Ireland etc.. Any info greatly appreciated.

Costs are very high - there is no free 3rd level in Australia for Australians, foreign students could easily set you back 50k a year

depends on the Uni and subject

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What hussey said. 457 means you are a temp resident so you have to pay foreign rates that the locals dont have to pay. One way to avoid that is to go permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

As lads said it is very expensive for Uni but some of smaller colleges and Tafe etc would be much cheaper, worth checking them out as well.
    My gf's fees would be close to $50k p/a, thankfully she's covered by scholarship though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

jank wrote: »
    What hussey said. 457 means you are a temp resident so you have to pay foreign rates that the locals dont have to pay. One way to avoid that is to go permanent.

How long do you have to be there before you can go permanent? What are primary school charges like for temp residentsas we will also have a seven year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Aussie201

Best to ring up the Australian Embassy, they'll tell you all the info you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No6 wrote: »
    How long do you have to be there before you can go permanent? What are primary school charges like for temp residentsas we will also have a seven year old.

It's not a matter of time but a matter of meeting the criteria to become permanent, temporary is temporary and you can never automatically be permanent from a 457. You can of course apply for Permanent Residency at anytime (if you meet the criteria).

Advertisement