Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherrealm studios looking to make killer instinct game ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sounds less false than that faked Bloody Roar 5 tweet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I still play the arcade version of Killer Instinct (The 2nd is shìte). I remember when it arrived in the arcades and it looked insanely good.

Thought it would be the future of gaming as it was supposed to look the exact same on the Ultra 64 :pac:

They left out the little detail that the arcade version used a hard drive to stream the background while the N64 ultimately just used a cartridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The arcade game wasn't even built on N64 technology and it never got released on the N64 or Ultra 64 like it was promised. In fact the arcade board was really rubbish for the time and struggled to do 3D (the only 3D stages are just square arenas) but thanks to that Hard Disk the animation on the 2D pre-rendered backgrounds and characters looked amazing and fooled a lot of people, myself included, that they were real time renders.

Wasn't a big fan of Killer Instinct, thought it was all flash no substance, however would be very interested in Nether Realms having a go at it because I thought all the Mortal Kombat games were fair at best, god awful at worst but was pleasantly surprised by MK9.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Although many people have fond memories of KI, as fighting games go it's a mess. Even worse it's a dial a combo mess, which puts me right off a fighter. Infinites and glitches all over the place.

If NR were to take a look I think the MK9/ MKvDC engine would be a good fit.

I think they should work on ironing out the fixes to MK before worrying about other games first though (there's loads of little things about MK which make it difficult for tournaments to run, they need to address that, and work on good netcode out of the box. They managed to annoy both casual and hardcore players with 2 simple things :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Although many people have fond memories of KI, as fighting games go it's a mess. Even worse it's a dial a combo mess, which puts me right off a fighter. Infinites and glitches all over the place.

If NR were to take a look I think the MK9/ MKvDC engine would be a good fit.

I think they should work on ironing out the fixes to MK before worrying about other games first though (there's loads of little things about MK which make it difficult for tournaments to run, they need to address that, and work on good netcode out of the box. They managed to annoy both casual and hardcore players with 2 simple things :D )

From a tournament point of view, it was probably an awful game. But just as a bit of fun, I've always thought KI was fantastic fun. One of my favourite memories from back in the day is playing KI on the SNES.

I've had a sneaking suspicion about NRS picking this up for a while now. Boon has mentioned how he's love to see it back, or an MK corssover with it. Then he said (as far as I can recall) that he was going to work on a new non-MK title. The pieces all fit... Here's hoping it's true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I have extremely fond memories of KI in the arcade; played the SNES version sporadically since it's release; absolutely loved it. I'd definitely be interested in the series coming to XBL/PSN and a new iteration, especially by NetherRealm after the amazing MK9 released last year.

Yearly releases of fighting games i'm not a fan of; every two years would be better; release DLC between main iterations. I guess they're just trying to ride the gravy train and have yet to learn THQ's lesson from yearly UFC games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I have extremely fond memories of KI in the arcade; played the SNES version sporadically since it's release; absolutely loved it. I'd definitely be interested in the series coming to XBL/PSN and a new iteration, especially by NetherRealm after the amazing MK9 released last year.

Yearly releases of fighting games i'm not a fan of; every two years would be better; release DLC between main iterations. I guess they're just trying to ride the gravy train and have yet to learn THQ's lesson from yearly UFC games.

This years update of SSF4 was completely free.

As was last years of Blaz Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah KI, how i put so many hours into you, and only able to do that stupid long combo with Jago and Orchid. Loved the music in it too, especially:

And, of course, fapping to:

I'm interested in a new version, and if NetherRealm are making it, count me in.

Ah KI, how i put so many hours into you, and only able to do that stupid long combo with Jago and Orchid. Loved the music in it too, especially:

And, of course, fapping to:

I'm interested in a new version, and if NetherRealm are making it, count me in.

I've still got the Killer Cuts CD that came with the SNES version of the game. But if we are talking fantastic tracks from the game, the main theme is the very man for the job:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the mechanics of it have aged but its still good craic to play, I was in the States last year and an arcade we wound up in had a KI machine in the corner gathering dust,stuck a few quarters in it and played it for about a half hour, I even remembered an ultra combo :pac:

got a huge blast of nostalgia watching the arcade intro:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Highly doubtful I'd say. MS own the rights to KI so they won't want a multiplatform release and NetherRealm are owned by Warner who equally won't want a console exclusive release.

Sidebar- Whatever happened to Rare anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

deathrider wrote: »
    Sidebar- Whatever happened to Rare anyways?

Team expanded , their most talented members went to crytek team and radical entertainment ...
    Rare thats left over only make the media center for xbox

Team expanded , their most talented members went to crytek team and radical entertainment ...
    Rare thats left over only make the media center for xbox

Ah, I see. Cheers for that. It's something that often crossed my mind, but I never really got around to investigating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Advertisement