Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six year old left 'Home Alone with Monster Munch & Flat Screen TV'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I was left home alone when I was kid although the maid was there so I don't think it counted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I'm not condoning what she did, but at least the kid had food.

plenty of cases where the parents leave the kid with literally nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Just two days, but I had BMX Bandits, The Goonies and Gremlins on pirate VHS to watch and tons of Commodore 64 games to play.

To this day I doubt anyone could beat me at Pitstop.
    :D

i could i just havent got 4 hours to spend loading it
    Downlinz wrote: »
    I dont get the significance of the TV in this story.

she was left alone with one
    finbarrk wrote: »
    What's yurt?

its yoghurt without the OGH additives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

sparsely furnished, but 42" inch flat screen

Priorites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A very sad and depressing case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

zuroph wrote: »
    It was flat screen.
    It wouldn't have been so bad if it was HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Shekinha!!

Yeah, now I can see why John Hughes picked a simpler name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Johro wrote: »
    He argued the public interest in knowing the full background to the case outweighed the need to maintain the child's anonymity. And Judge Joy agreed.'
    Because of this, the child will probably be bullied about this for years to come. Because of this, the reporter is a complete and utter arséhole!
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'd just like to get the full story
    The sun doesn't do "full stories", it only does "witch hunts". But I agree, and it seems the mother is f**ked in the head, and didn't know how to cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Terrible story on the face of it and with the information provided...

...but can someone please tell me why the following, bolded word needed to be included?
    Scared six-year-old Shekinha Terry was abandoned in a freezing, scruffy council house covered in cat mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ...but can someone please tell me why the following, bolded word needed to be included?
    It's the Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Stories similar to this surface every so often - Its usually "Parents go on holiday and leave kid alone" with the phone number for the local chipper or not at all and the poor kid has to cobble together what ever is lying at the bottom of the food press.

I would say it is more common than we actually hear about - I bet there are lots of kids home alone right now while scanger mammy and daddy are over in puerto banus spending all their benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

When her heartless mum Natalie was challenged by cops, she told them: "I neglected my daughter — end of."

Chav.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

sparsely furnished, but 42" inch flat screen

Priorites.

Maybe it was stolen acquired during the recent London riots protests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

A terrible chronicle of serious child neglect, but hardly unique. I suppose this instance got so much coverage in the media because the mother was of a skin colour and social class that rags like the Sun and the Daily Hatemail like to keep the spotlight on ---:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

John Doe1 wrote: »
    When her heartless mum Natalie was challenged by cops, she told them: "I neglected my daughter — end of."

Chav.:rolleyes:

That quote sounds ridiculously out of context. I'd read that more as her trying not to excuse her behaviour--sounds like guilt to me. However, without context, there is no way to know how to interpret a quote like that. This is a hatchet job of an article and brutally written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

scholar007 wrote: »
    Stories similar to this surface every so often - Its usually "Parents go on holiday and leave kid alone" with the phone number for the local chipper or not at all and the poor kid has to cobble together what ever is lying at the bottom of the food press.

I would say it is more common than we actually hear about - I bet there are lots of kids home alone right now while scanger mammy and daddy are over in puerto banus spending all their benefits.

I'm in Puerto Banus right now..and me an herself think you should mind yer own business......" ****e I,m after typing what I'm thinking" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The child cruelty began when she named her child Shekinha to be fair...

Why? It's a traditional Jewish name. Either the mother or the father may be Jewish/part-Jewish and wanted to name their child a traditional name from their heritage. Nothing wrong with giving a child an ethnic name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

And she drank just water.

Excellent reporting there. God forbid that a child should have to drink just water! As if the story needed to more sensationalised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

That is very sad and depressing but it doesn't surprise me. The fact that anyone can bring children into the world is frightening in itself so you have young people bringing children into the world who have alot of problems themselves; they don't know how to provide for themselves and look after themselves let alone a child.

It's obvious that woman has serious problems and she there doesn't seem to be support or family around her. She knew she was neglecting her child so why didn't she phone a social worker to let her know she wasn't able to look after her child? There should be a service to provide awareness to single mothers or mothers in general about what to do if they cannot look after their child in the present and future. There should be a 24 emergency number to social workers. It should be non judgemental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

iguana wrote: »
    Why? It's a traditional Jewish name. Either the mother or the father may be Jewish/part-Jewish and wanted to name their child a traditional name from their heritage. Nothing wrong with giving a child an ethnic name.

*scrolls to top of page
    *checks if thread is still in after hours
    phew!

It was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

If it was written in The Sun, it must be true, right guys?

Guys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

The child cruelty began when she named her child Shekinha to be fair...

Well to be fair you should get out more if you think the child's name is strange. You obviously havn't heard names like like apple, bluebell, kennedy, romeo and phoenix some of the names especially celebrities name their kids.

I remember when I was in primary school there was a girl in my class called sheloah and a boy called fiachra, in the 1st and 2nd class some of the children used to call him fiaclacha because they couldn't get their head around that name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

myView

By CAROL COOPER

Sun Doctor

THIS poor little girl would have suffered both nutritional and emotional damage by being left to exist on Monster Munch.

People can survive an extremely long time on a restricted diet.

But in this case, the main problem would be that these crisps are very low in fibre and high in salt. You can't live very long on them because they contain few essential vitamins.

Perhaps you could last a couple of months on crisps but serious emotional problems such as depression would kick in.

Nutritional symptoms would include constipation, bleeding gums and skin trouble.

If left unchecked, such a diet could eventually lead to anaemia, high blood pressure, kidney failure — and death.

Even without the dietary issues it must have been a terrifying experience for Shekinha.

The trauma could have a longer lasting effect on her and she may well need help.

News just in: Long term diet of crisps is bad for you. So glad that the Sun Doctor exists to tell me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Well to be fair you should get out more if you think the child's name is strange. You obviously havn't heard names like like apple, bluebell, kennedy, romeo and phoenix some of the names especially celebrities name their kids.

I remember when I was in primary school there was a girl in my class called sheloah and a boy called fiachra, in the 1st and 2nd class some of the children used to call him fiaclacha because they couldn't get their head around that name.

That'll teach you , Zuroph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mattjack wrote: »
    That'll teach you , Zuroph.
    :D

yip, I've been put in my place, that's for sure.

I'm not even sure what point she was trying to make. "strange names are fine, sure there was a kid in school we used to call tooth because of his name"... surely that proves my point. which wasnt a serious point in the first place.

I get out plenty thanks. And have minimal interest in what celebrities call their kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I wonder where the kid's father is.

Also, the sheer filth that she brought the child up in just beggars belief. The rooms had no carpets and were badly furnished and the filthy kitchen had hardly any food in it.

Eighteen months is very lenient for this evil "mother."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Underdraft wrote: »
    This story has truly shocked me! They have pickled onion monster munch? :eek:

The Pink Monster - a tall, pink, gangly creature with a floppy tongue - is roast beef.

The Blue Monster - a hat-wearing blue creature with floppy-ears and four arms - is smokey bacon.

The Yellow Monster - a yellow, one-eyed creature with a red nose - is pickled onion.

The Orange Monster - a fat, orange creature with pink hair - is prawn cocktail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Kids these days, don't know how good they have it, I used to be locked in with the geese!

Whole new meaning to 'mother goose'......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Batsy wrote: »
    I wonder where the kid's father is.

Also, the sheer filth that she brought the child up in just beggars belief. The rooms had no carpets and were badly furnished and the filthy kitchen had hardly any food in it.

Eighteen months is very lenient for this evil "mother."
    The kid isn't white and is from a council estate and poor so no need to pretend you give a fuk about her.
    If she were a teenager you'd be looking down at her and dismissing any points that she never had much of a chance due to her upbringing as PC brigade loony leftie (whatever other brain-dead expressions) drivel so it's more than a tad inconsistent of you to claim concern for her wellbeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Batsy wrote: »
    The Pink Monster - a tall, pink, gangly creature with a floppy tongue - is roast beef.

The Blue Monster - a hat-wearing blue creature with floppy-ears and four arms - is smokey bacon.

The Yellow Monster - a yellow, one-eyed creature with a red nose - is pickled onion.

The Orange Monster - a fat, orange creature with pink hair - is prawn cocktail.

There's even the Purple hot chilli something one too with big hands or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Sounds like she had a breakdown.

Total remorse, no chance she will do it again, what sounds like mitigating circumstances.

Seems crazy to lock her up and splash her name all over a rag like the Sun.
    There may be remorse, but sounds likely that she would do something like that again, or worse. If a man did the same, would you be so understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

goose2005 wrote: »
    There may be remorse, but sounds likely that she would do something like that again, or worse. If a man did the same, would you be so understanding?

Yes.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

A woman is surviving for the last ten years on an exclusive diet of Monster Munch, according to The Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/3613496/Woman-lives-on-Monster-Munch-for-10-years.html

Advertisement