Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature's Menu

• 20-01-2012 2:50am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

So with the whole raw vs dry debate going on, I'm wondering does anyone use nature's menu and how do they find it. Do you use the 'complete blocks' or the 'complimentary nuggets'. I thought it would be more expensive to feed it but have had a look at the calculations and wouldn't cost me too much to feed the two big dogs for the day. So I'm thinking of ordering some and trying it out but want to get some reviews on it first from anyone who uses it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I tried my guy with the cans - mixing at bit in with his Luath (before he started having an intolerance to it and we switched to cereal free) and he was fine for a week or so...then all of a sudden one night I heard a commotion downstairs..came down and he was just lying there weeing himself and he wouldn't get up. Brought him to the vets the next day and his wee had a really high alkaline level and crystals in it (the vet showed me under the microscope) anyhoos stopped feeding him the NM and 3 days later perfect ph wee. TBH if I had the storage space in the freezer for NM i'd just switch to raw?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The thing about is I'm finding it hard to find a good source of cheapish meats that will continuously have meat. I went into tesco last night and got a load of chicken thighs and wings, but that's all they really had. There are a lot of people feeding their dogs raw around here it seems as I tried my local butcher for some liver and bones and they were cleaned out, at half nine in the morning, from someone else. I just want to know is nature's menu worth trying as it would at least be a constant supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I think natures menu is great and definately worth a try, dogs love it, its convient and loads of variety etc.

I wouldn't go for the cans (cooked) though just the frozen raw food!

Best thing is you can get the nuggets and stuff kongs with them as a treat :)

Raw food really changes your dog I feel amazing coat, almost no smell etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mr Romeo

Can't believe the difference raw food has made to my dog's life. I switched over to Nature's Menu nuggets when one of my two ageing bichons died. I used to have to order in big quantities from a supplier in Clonmel, which filled my freezer. Now a petshop in Dublin 15 is doing it so I can buy smaller amounts there. My dog just loves it and it seems to be very easy on his system. His coat is in tip top condition and he's like a younger dog again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I use quite a bit of nature's menu, but the Prize Choice freeflow mince - Lamb, tripe, beef, chicken. Also the rabbit block and heart chunks and liver chunks. It's the cheapest price for meat I could find. I get free chicken bones from the butcher.

I've used the NM cans for while I'm away and my lot have been grand on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Does anyone know are the complete frozen blocks suitable for cats as well?

Rommie wrote: »

I would have thought so cos they're actually in tiny flaked pieces when you defrost the block so there's no big bits for a cat to chew (I get the impression a lot of cats don't like to do a huge amount of chewing on big items??)

I would have thought so cos they're actually in tiny flaked pieces when you defrost the block so there's no big bits for a cat to chew (I get the impression a lot of cats don't like to do a huge amount of chewing on big items??)

I'm actually looking for chunks for them to chew, do you know are the nuggets more chunky? I started giving my cats raw chicken hearts yesterday and today and I'd swear their teeth are cleaner already! Would love to switch over to raw completely and I'm thinking of giving the nature's menu a go

I'm actually looking for chunks for them to chew, do you know are the nuggets more chunky? I started giving my cats raw chicken hearts yesterday and today and I'd swear their teeth are cleaner already! Would love to switch over to raw completely and I'm thinking of giving the nature's menu a go

I've used tripe chunks, heart chunks and liver chunks, they'd be decent sizes. There's also poultry necks. They're in 2kg bags frozen but they're individual pieces so you can easily shake out enough to defrost for each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

funny you ask that, because I decided to try them out on my cats yesterday. 5 out of 5 cats refused to even taste them, I think it's because of the strong herb smell they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I think I'm going to have to get some of the Nature's Menu cans. My two are going into kennels for a few days late next week and I've been very gradually weaning them off raw and on to dried... with disastrous results. Looks as though Petstop at Kinsale road roundabout stock them.

After reading some comments on this thread I'll be giving the frozen bags a try too when I get back! :)

planetX wrote: »
    funny you ask that, because I decided to try them out on my cats yesterday. 5 out of 5 cats refused to even taste them, I think it's because of the strong herb smell they have.

I think its because the raw food doesn't smell as strongly as their regular food. Offered them the raw, one cat dived in, the others turned their noses up. So mixed in a pouch with about half a pound of chicken necks; next thing you know the entire plate was clean! I'm going to keep mixing with the pouches (almo nature so high meat/low cereal) and try and wean them over completely. I'm seeing a huge difference in their teeth already and they are definitely a lot cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

my two are on natures menu for 2 years, absolutely thriving, and any other dogs we're recommended NM to have had fab results. Skin conditions, ear infections, tear stains etc. have all disappeared! We had a westie who was on and off steriods for 8 years, transferred over to NM 6 months ago and hasn't looked back, he had no nails for years as they were so brittle they'd flake away, he now has fine chunky nails! I rave about it, and then people who change over then rave about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Can i ask where do you buy this, is it online?

Would love to try my dog on this but how expensive would it be to feed a 45kg Bernese a day?

We usually get her chicken, mince, liver and fish from Tesco and add in potato, veg, (oil and eggs on different days).

If it agreed with her sensitive tummy, it would be brilliant for holidays away and if not too expensive it would save me cooking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wizard01 wrote: »
    it would save me cooking :)

Cooking!? You don't need to cook the meat - are you cooking the veg? I just cook the potatoes and mince the other veg

Advertisement