Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser redirects

• 20-01-2012 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Am getting random browser redirects in ie and firefox, cwshredder says i have cws.therealsearch and that its fixed it every time it runs, though it doesn't fix it, it says its a hosts file redirect, tried to set hosts file to default but it tells me access denied, i am logged in as administrator, have full rights to the file and have taken ownership of the file but i cannot do anything with it as i get access denied (nice work windows)

Is there an easy way to fix/delete this file or should i just go and download a linix boot disk.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have you tried doing the removal in safe mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

No, assumed permissions were the same in safwe mode, ill give it a go thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If it's just the hosts file part of the problem that remains and you want to access the host file, save the commands below to a .bat file and run the .bat file in an Administrator command prompt (right-click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator') :

@echo off
    echo,Y|cacls "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" /G everyone:f
    attrib -s -h -r "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

When the .bat file has run, you should have access to the hosts file again,

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

bhickey wrote: »
    If it's just the hosts file part of the problem that remains and you want to access the host file, save the commands below to a .bat file and run the .bat file in an Administrator command prompt (right-click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator') :

@echo off
    echo,Y|cacls "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" /G everyone:f
    attrib -s -h -r "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

When the .bat file has run, you should have access to the hosts file again,

Thank you that worked, all clean now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

@yammycat - also, install WinPatrol (it's free) as it will monitor your hosts file for tampering (amongst other things).....

• Advertisement
Advertisement