Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs hard to find

Options
  • 20-01-2012 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I graduated with an honours degree in quantity surveying in Nov. 2011. I left Ireland for sydney the middle of Nov on a working holiday visa.
    I got a labouring job for a few weeks before xmas in sydney
    Iv now moved to brisbane in search of work im qualified to do, I'v been here two weeks.

From the start of my job search all I see is that employers want a min. of 2+ yrs post graduate exp. I have at best one years experience carried out during my third year of college.
    I know iv only been looking for two weeks but I can honestly say I'm finding it very hard to find work that suits my suituation. I'v applied for dozens of jobs on seek.com.au, rang agencies (told by one agency that they dont deal with graduates) and I'v gone into the offices of some companies but couldnt get past reception.

Can anyone offer me some advice or tips on what I may be doing wrong or what I need to do to improve my chances of getting a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'd say the WHV might be going against you slightly mate. You can only work for one employer for 6 months, so some employers won't see the benefit in investing time and money into training you when you can only work for them for a short period of time. Experience obviously is crucial too, depending on the role you are aiming for.

Look at it this way, you are on a WHV so you are really only looking for something that is going to supplement your travels. Just aim for something else, bar work, landscape gardening, retail - basically anything that is going to bring in the dollars.

When you have some sort of job and money behind you then at least you can enjoy Oz. Then start your search for something in quantity surveying and see what happens.

If you are thinking of hanging on for a 2nd year, maybe now might be a good time to head off and do seasonal work. Is always harder to go and do seasonal work when you get settled somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Leaving a job in search of another is a bit foolish. You should of stayed in the labouring job and lept looking while earning money.

If you are only here for a year then don't worry about it. If you have longer term plans. Then get your second year sorted now. Then work on a QS job. Its just persistance really. The hardest part is gettign an interview so make sure your CV is up to scratch.

Who to know you didn't work for your last two years in collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ozzieirish

Mellor wrote: »
    Leaving a job in search of another is a bit foolish. You should of stayed in the labouring job and lept looking while earning money.

Who to know you didn't work for your last two years in collage.

I left the labouring job because I wanted to move to Brisbane to get QS work.
    I plan on stayn longer than two years, I dont really wana do the backpacking jobs because im stayn in Brisbane to get QS experience for whenever Ireland ever picks up.
    Cant really say I was working for last two years of college because my reference says different.
    Im really caught all side! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I think no matter where you go, it will be hard find a job with just six months experience.

You may need to add a few months on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

djPSB wrote: »
    I think no matter where you go, it will be hard find a job with just six months experience.

You may need to add a few months on ;)

Unfortunately this the case in lots of industries.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

ozzieirish wrote: »
    I graduated with an honours degree in quantity surveying in Nov. 2011. I left Ireland for sydney the middle of Nov on a working holiday visa.
    I got a labouring job for a few weeks before xmas in sydney
    Iv now moved to brisbane in search of work im qualified to do, I'v been here two weeks.

From the start of my job search all I see is that employers want a min. of 2+ yrs post graduate exp. I have at best one years experience carried out during my third year of college.
    I know iv only been looking for two weeks but I can honestly say I'm finding it very hard to find work that suits my suituation. I'v applied for dozens of jobs on seek.com.au, rang agencies (told by one agency that they dont deal with graduates) and I'v gone into the offices of some companies but couldnt get past reception.

Can anyone offer me some advice or tips on what I may be doing wrong or what I need to do to improve my chances of getting a job.
    Have you tried this company...I often see them advertise for graduates
    http://dcwc.com.au/cms-about-us/careers.phps

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ozzieirish

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Iv nine months experience but its not post grad. Kinda hard get anymore experience when companies want employees with experience.
    If no one wants to employ me without experience how am I supposed to get this experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

If you think you are good enough for the positions advertised and that your lack Of experience won't hinder you too much just put some fake references

For example me and the gf finished college last may with hospitality degrees. We both had good experience working in the states and the UK. Howeve we were never made supervisors as we were never in one place to long to be made supervisors.
    We both knew we were good enough to be supervisors but as you know companies won't hire you as a supervisor unless you have supervisor experience. So we just put on our CVs that in our last jobs in Ireland we were supervisors. result? She is now the bar manger and I am the restaurant supervisor in a 5* star hotel in Melbourne! We're practically running the bar/restaurant and were making more money then anyone else there bar the restaurant manager

So yeh, alter your CV, everyone does it. Just make sure ya don't get caught out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The danger of making sh*t up is that you often run the risk of making a complete fool of yourself at the interview, I was in a technical supervisory role in my last job and we would get people that looked good on paper (obviously creative with the truth) but when I fired a few technical questions that they should have been able to answer due to their alleged experience they came a cropper.

Better to admit to being just inexperienced than appearing to be an incompetent dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hey, any of ye guys manage to get i.t helpdesk roles in melbourne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

The reality is that WHV will always go aginist you unless the company is just looking for temp person. Years of college mean feck all here . They want to see if can apply what you learnth at college n only way to find that out is through work experince n ref's. No matter what anyone says dont make experince n ref's up . Unlike Ireland Aussie companies do ring and check . You will get found out and look like a fool.

What you could do if money allows is offer to work for a week for free to show what you can do but do no longer or they're using you. You just need to prove to a company you can do the job .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ya good advice, what you working at yourself ozeire?

Advertisement