Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank job cuts, a sign of things to come?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

So with ANZ laying off 1000 staff, Westpac around 700.
    Obviously the Euro zone is not helping matters. Barry O'Farrell
    looking to cut 10000 jobs in the public sector, though public sector
    seems to be seriously overstaffed anyways. Is this the sign of a serious downturn to come?.

A lot of lads I have spoken to on WHVs have been looking for work since October/November and can't seem to get anything around Sydney. One
    girl was telling me she went for a job in a small ice cream shop and there
    were something like 60 candidates.

Kinda mimics Ireland a little in 2007/2008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Feelgood wrote: »
    ..can't seem to get anything around Sydney ... One girl was telling me she went for a job in a small ice cream shop and there were something like 60 candidates.
    that seems to be a theme in retail across the board here lately, where consumers are not spending money, but rather electing to pay bills, repay loans, and save. I'm no economist by any means and won't claim to know anything or make any predictions, but the knock on effect on retail from this consumer spending is obvious and enevitable. you can see it every day with the never ending sales.

And if australians find it hard to get a retail job, why would a foreigner find it any easier? There may be thousands of jobs across australia, but they're for skilled or at least willing workers, not mammys little pets who want to suppliment their holiday while not moving outside the CBD. I'd love to know, the prople saying they've been looking for work for 3 months, have they looked outside of Bondi Beach?

Folks will say they're using the WHV to get out of Ireland, to get a job. Willing to travel 10,000 miles for a job, but not willing to move outside of sydney to work? come on..

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

The strength of the Aussie Dollar will also make it more attractive to go abroad on holidays and less attractive to come here for a holiday so tourism will probably suffer a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

from what wollymammoth said...you hear the whinging stories from people about how they cant get work for the last few weeks etc i bet 90% of these stories come from sydney, melbourne, brisbane, perth.....there is untold amounts of work if you are willing to wander a bit into the country. I have been here 5/6 months and im getting sick of people saying they cant find work....what they really mean is, they cant find a cushy number thats close to the beach, pubs, clubs and they dont want to head out any further. Id love to live in a city thats close to all the amenities but ill also happily stay out of them if it means i get a decent job.

As for the OP....its sounds familier alright but to be honest i think alot of poeple are reading to much into it because of the situation in europe...yes they let go a heap of workers...why...india, china etc Cheaper workers. I think the australians are becoming more aware of the world economics lately and are tightening their belts a bit but i don't think they are letting it effect them just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

tipplad11 wrote: »
    from what wollymammoth said...you hear the whinging stories from people about how they cant get work for the last few weeks etc i bet 90% of these stories come from sydney, melbourne, brisbane, perth.....there is untold amounts of work if you are willing to wander a bit into the country. I have been here 5/6 months and im getting sick of people saying they cant find work....what they really mean is, they cant find a cushy number thats close to the beach, pubs, clubs and they dont want to head out any further. Id love to live in a city thats close to all the amenities but ill also happily stay out of them if it means i get a decent job.

All well and good if you are here on a WHV, free to move around as you will, hostel to hostel etc..
    But not everyone is on a WHV, people come here to set up for a longer period, I have an apartment lease, furniture etc, couldn't decide to move tomorrow and just go with it.
    To be honest there is nothing much in between the cities in Australia apart from sparse tourist stuff.

I love when people come on here and generalise - "there is untold amounts of work if you are willing to wander a bit into the country".
    Maybe you would like to share what that work is and where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

I love when people come on here and generalise - "there is untold amounts of work if you are willing to wander a bit into the country".
    Maybe you would like to share what that work is and where it is?

Well i have been to Kalgoorlie(WA) Kyabram, Rochester, Echuca (VIC) and Wollongong(NSW) and worked in or near the above for the past few months. Jobs ranging from Bar and hotel work to farm work and construction labouring. While in all of these locations i noticed alot of businesses understaffed and local newspapers with job vacencies in them every week looking for beauty therapists to admin staff.
    Any of the above i have worked in i could easily stay in for quite some time but i prefer to move around while i have the oppertuinity. Obviously if i was settled like yourself i wouldnt have that privilage. My apologies for generalisation by in my own experience there is generally alot of work still out there if people come away from the cities, i cant speak for the places i havent been.

• Advertisement
Advertisement