Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas for a weekend away from Melbourne travelling by car?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi guys,

Myself & my boyf are hiring a car next friday for 3 days.
    Does anyone have any tips on where we could go?
    We are in Melbourne & are looking to head off somewhere out of the city no more than a 4 hour drive.
    Planning to stay overnight in a hostel / cheap hotel.

We have already done the Great Ocean Road so was just hoping someone could recommend somewhere else that is worth going to?

Thanks
    :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hussey thanks very much for the prompt response!
    Will check out those links tonight.
    Not into wine at all so will give that one a miss.

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

phillip island, lakes entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Lesser known to the backpacker circuit would be

Bright is a nice spot, you can bike around or hike, ski in winter.

http://www.brightvictoria.com.au/home.aspx

Lake Eildon, now that there's some water is also worth a look as are the townships around it.
    Until last year, it was practically empty!

http://www.lakeeildon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hi guys,

Myself & my boyf are hiring a car next friday for 3 days.
    Does anyone have any tips on where we could go?
    We are in Melbourne & are looking to head off somewhere out of the city no more than a 4 hour drive.
    Planning to stay overnight in a hostel / cheap hotel.

We have already done the Great Ocean Road so was just hoping someone could recommend somewhere else that is worth going to?

Thanks
    :D:D

The Mornington Peninsula is meant to be a great place if you want to get away from melbourne for a few days. Its seems like a nice place for couples to chill out for a few days.. Has the nice beaches, restaurants, wine tours etc

http://www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Phillip Island would be good. Went there a couple of months ago. Can see the Little Penguins come ashore at night, Cowes for beach, there's a koala reserve and Phillip Island Circuit where you can do tours and a hot lap.

Or how about trip to former Gold country? Haven't done this yet myself but planning to. Can visit Soverign Hill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Pugins wrote: »

Or how about trip to former Gold country? Haven't done this yet myself but planning to. Can visit Soverign Hill etc.

Dude Dont bother with sovereign hill, me and the girlfriend went last week - its crap. It's a waste of an afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The Grampians.

Wilsons Promontory National Park.

Mount Buffalo National Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apollo Bay is very nice, as are other Great Ocean Road towns like Lorne and Torquay (which is at the start).

Base yourself in one of them and see the sites from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advise / tips.
    We have decided to go to Mornington Peninsula on friday & stay somewhere around there that night.
    Then on saturday we are going to go to Philip Island.

Should be fun :cool:

Xavi6 we have already done the Great Ocean Rd & stayed in Lorne/Apollo Bay/Warambool along the way....but thanks anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Reading the full OP fail on my behalf :o

Advertisement