Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I paint this?

• 20-01-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I am looking at a piece of furniture in a local shop which is perfect for a room in my house, however its a very ugly almost-yellow cream color, and it would be ideal if it was white. I asked the guy in the store if I could paint it and he said it would be doable but a lot of hard work. Can anyone advise me if its worth the trouble? What paint should I use and would it really be that much work?

Here it is:
    M5IkD.jpg

Any replies appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It needs 'keying with a fine sand or emery paper first. You can also buy what I call 'Scotch' pads in an Auto Factors. These are cloth sanding sheets, a bit like scouring pads you would use in the kitchen, which are great for all the mouldings. I wouldn't recomend brush painting it though, unless you want that kind of look.
    If you know of a panel beater or car repair shop you could ask them to spray it for you, if you do all the prep work it shouldn't cost a lot. Some general painters will have spray equipment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It needs 'keying with a fine sand or emery paper first. You can also buy what I call 'Scotch' pads in an Auto Factors. These are cloth sanding sheets, a bit like scouring pads you would use in the kitchen, which are great for all the mouldings. I wouldn't recomend brush painting it though, unless you want that kind of look.
    If you know of a panel beater or car repair shop you could ask them to spray it for you, if you do all the prep work it shouldn't cost a lot. Some general painters will have spray equipment too.

Thank you for the reply. I think I will try to do it myself as I just moved to a new town and I don't think there's an auto repair nearby. Could I just use a roller and brush? Would matt emulsion paint be okay? Sorry for all of the questions. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Certainly not emulsion......I would look at eggshell or a satin finish. But definetly an oil based paint.
    It would be possible with a foam roller and a brush (to get into the mouldings). Do it in planned way. See the unit as a series of flat panels and paint them in rotation. Take out and do the drawers first, paint the mouldings first with a brush and then the flat areas with the roller. Then do the body the same way, coating the moulding first and then the flats. Leave the top until last. If you are painting it in a garage or an area where dust might be a factor, fill one of those kitchen spray bottles with water and mist the concrete floor to keep dust down. Watch out for wayward hairs from the brush if it is new. Keep checking for runs out of the corners of the mouldings after you are finished and as it dries, if you have them, lighty 'lay them off' with the roller.
    Make sure to undercoat with a good quality paint first. Your prep is critical here! 90% preparation and 10% finishing is the order of the day here!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

I'm about to embark on a project using something called Chalk Paint - you can paint over practically any finish - gives a kind of shabby chic type finish so mightn't be your cup of tea. see here for more info if interested http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/copy_of_How_to_use_the_paint.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

1. Clean down with white spirit and a rag.
    2. Give it a coat of BIN primer.
    3. Give it 2 coats of satinwood or gloss to finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement