Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamaha YST-FSW100 Subwoofer - Opinions?

• 20-01-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've recently set up my surround sound setup at home. I had a few decent speakers laying around so I bought a Yamaha RXV471. The speakers I'm using are BOSE Acoustimass for the fronts (The older type, kinda 3.1 setup - two front sats, one center sat, all passing thru a passive sub) and then two Cambridge Megaworks for the rears.

It all sounds nice and crisp, but with the exception of the dialog (sounds too thin) and lack of real low end. I figure this is because the BOSE Acoustimass setup I have is not suited for this kind of setup. The sub is obviously scooping off the lower cut-off, but because it's passive it lacks serious oomf, and obviously the amp won't send more power/volume to the front channels otherwise the highs would be too loud.

So my solution is to buy a powered sub right? I'm on a budget though, wanna keep it between 150-200 euro, so I came across this:

Yamaha YST-FSW100 Subwoofer

So just wondering if anyone has any experience with these? Are they any use? Or would I get better with that kind of money? I'm not looking to shake the house down, just want to complete the frequency response really and have some under-pinning punch for movies and dialog.

Also my room is about 7m x 9m (3m ceiling) if that makes any difference?

Appreciate any feedback!

-Adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i recon the first thing you should do i dump the bose speakers, i always thought they sounded terrible, adding the sub will do nothing for speech or midrange so try and get some decent speakers first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

dharn wrote: »
    i recon the first thing you should do i dump the bose speakers, i always thought they sounded terrible, adding the sub will do nothing for speech or midrange so try and get some decent speakers first

Yeah was thinking that. Don't have much in the bank at the moment, so planning on picking up bits as I need them. If I'm going down that road, would you recommend buying a decent center first? And if so, what would you recommend?

Also I wanna buy an active sub anyway, the low end is pretty much non-existant, so would anyone recommend the Yamaha YST-FSW100?

no that sub looks rather small for the av amp you have you would really need to spend quite a bit to do it justice, it is a nice amp and if you spend on poor stuff now you will be stuck with it, first move would probably be a good sub, good center would also be a good idea as the center does a lot of the dialogue so maybe something like dali zendor 1 from richersound i know these type of speaker are dear but thats the level i would aim for if you could at all manage, say 200 for sub, 200 for center and then later replace front left and right ,rears etc later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

dharn wrote: »
    no that sub looks rather small for the av amp you have you would really need to spend quite a bit to do it justice, it is a nice amp and if you spend on poor stuff now you will be stuck with it, first move would probably be a good sub, good center would also be a good idea as the center does a lot of the dialogue so maybe something like dali zendor 1 from richersound i know these type of speaker are dear but thats the level i would aim for if you could at all manage, say 200 for sub, 200 for center and then later replace front left and right ,rears etc later

Cool thanks for all the help, I'll ask on the richersound biz forum. The zensors look more like music monitors/sats than a dedicated center channel speaker tho...

ya they do a sub in that range

• Advertisement
Advertisement