Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse Free Upgrade - What to get???

Options
  • 20-01-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

My dad's been on Vodaphone bill pay with the Carphone Warehouse for the last 2 years and is entitled to a free upgrade. They rang him about a month ago so we called in and the guy was offering him some touchscreen for around €400-430. But he only wants a standard text/talk mobile for around €40! So I am thinking of getting his free upgrade, unlocking it and using it, and buying him his €40 mobile - seems to make the best sense as my mobile broke yesterday.

I have been using a Nokia E63 and really like the Nokia E71 or E73 but they are not out anymore :mad: I can't see any decent mobiles out with buttons, preferably Nokia! Was also told that Nokia touchscreens are crap and to stay away from Blackberry.

So has anybody any suggestions for a good quality Nokia mobile or maybe a touchscreen (even though they're not my preference, there is more variety of smart phones and I think I will have to get use to them at some stage)

I don't actually know the upgrade price limit but I think we can put money towards it if I go for a top of the range mobile

thanks guys ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Nokia Lumia 800, out here on the 1st Feb. I have one and I think its a great phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_800-review-686.php

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Nokia Lumia 800, out here on the 1st Feb. I have one and I think its a great phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_800-review-686.php

How much is it and is it out in Carphone Warehouse on the 1st Feb?

would an iphone be better? That video says it's thicker an battery not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

07438991 wrote: »

I only posted the Nokia because you ask about Nokia.

It's only very slightly thicker and the battery bug has been fixed with a new firmware released on the 18th of Jan.

Is it better than the iphone, that would be a personal choice. If I thought the iPhone was better myself I would have bought one and the same goes for Android. What you should do is try out, the iPhone, the Lumia and the Samsung Galaxy and see which one suits your needs best.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I only posted the Nokia because you ask about Nokia.

It's only very slightly thicker and the battery bug has been fixed with a new firmware released on the 18th of Jan.

Is it better than the iphone, that would be a personal choice. If I thought the iPhone was better myself I would have bought one and the same goes for Android. What you should do is try out, the iPhone, the Lumia and the Samsung Galaxy and see which one suits your needs best.

How do I try them? Going to the Carphone Warehouse in a few hours to pick one? All the mobiles are just display models

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Why avoid BlackBerry's? Their great for email and social networking and their keyboards are the best in the business.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the difference between the iphone & iphone 4s in layman's terms.. I understand the camera is better and there is something called an icloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Get your dad to do what my friend did. Tell them you don't want your 'free' upgrade but would prefer a cheaper contract because you aren't paying for your 'free' upgrade over the 12-24 months. His monthly bill went down 10 euro.

TBi wrote: »
    Get your dad to do what my friend did. Tell them you don't want your 'free' upgrade but would prefer a cheaper contract because you aren't paying for your 'free' upgrade over the 12-24 months. His monthly bill went down 10 euro.

I reduced it down the the minimum plan. Make sense cos he also uses a meteor phone for the free calls & texts too so he's two out of the three networks covered with free calls & texts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

07438991 wrote: »

Prices will be out tomorrow. Vodafone shops and Carphone Warehouse in Grafton st tomorrow will be demoing them tomorrow. :)

Its a pretty decent phone. I played around with one briefly and its lovely to hold in hand and operate :)

Same stable fluid and slick experience you would expect from windows phone 7

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for their input but I got an iphone so want to close this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Which one? Let us know how you get on with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

TBi wrote: »

This is so true,I got caught with the 'free' upgrade:(

Advertisement