Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im not paying the household charge

Options
  • 20-01-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Im not paying the household charge. Is there anyone else not going to pay it?

The anti household / septic tank charge campaign has set up a hotline 1890 98 98 00 for anyone looking for information.

Anyone interested in having a local campaign in Carlow or is there one already up and running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I'm not paying either!!!

Then again I don't own the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

I'm not paying either!!!

Then again I don't own the house...

No matter Im sure you have parents, friends whatever who have a house. Maybe they don't want to pay the tax. Basically every household has to register on line first. The government says thats 1.8 million.

So the plan is for hundreds of thousands of people not to register so the tax becomes practically uncollectable. Simple enough idea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I dont want to pay it, but I will probably just pay up. It is just a new tax, leveled at the home owners in the country >:|

I will hold off on paying it as long as possible tho, to see what the outcome is bit I think the best case scenario is below...

if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    as per
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/household-charge-property-tax-more-details.html

The charge I have a problem with is the water charge, considering I've had to change my 3 year old electric shower and washing machine because of hard water. The government should offer some type of subsidy

I dont want to pay it, but I will probably just pay up. It is just a new tax, leveled at the home owners in the country >:|

I will hold off on paying it as long as possible tho, to see what the outcome is bit I think the best case scenario is below...

if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    as per
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/household-charge-property-tax-more-details.html

The charge I have a problem with is the water charge, considering I've had to change my 3 year old electric shower and washing machine because of hard water. The government should offer some type of subsidy

You're dead right hold off paying as long as possible. 1.8 million households are expected to register by 31st march. There is no chance of this happening.

If hundreds of thousands of people don't register and dont pay the tax is virtually uncollectable. The legal syatem can't deal with it and the whole thing will collapse.

The slogan Don't Register - Don't Pay is exactly the plan to follow. People who mistakenly pay this tax will get absoutly nothing for it and in about 2 years everyone will be paying €500 to €1000 for property tax and water tax so that billionaire bankers and gamplers get all their money back.

Its time for people to make a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CMCR

You're dead right hold off paying as long as possible. .

That's irresponsible advice. Maybe I should just hold off on paying the thousands of euro in income tax and other taxes I pay each year? Everyone knows I love spending 4 hours per day commuting to/from work!

["People who mistakenly pay this tax will get absoutly nothing for it"]

The charge is going to pay for community services including fire and emergency services, street lighting, libraries, leisure amenities, etc. These services aren't 'absolutely nothing'. Ireland is one of the last countries in Europe to introduce these charges and the Charge is a commitment by Ireland under the EU/IMF programme. I also note that many groups are exempt from the Charge and not everyone has to pay.

Furthermore, what is actually the problem with contributing to these services? Ireland is broke - end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

I know its a hard pill to swallow they the country is but we will have to pay it one way or the other we are not going to get away from it not matter what protest we do.

Anyone on social welfare benefits of any kind will be caught and at the moment that is allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

CMCR wrote: »
    That's irresponsible advice. Maybe I should just hold off on paying the thousands of euro in income tax and other taxes I pay each year? Everyone knows I love spending 4 hours per day commuting to/from work! at least u can claim some tax back on that though.

The charge is going to pay for community services including fire and emergency services, street lighting, libraries, leisure amenities, etc. These services aren't 'absolutely nothing'.
    not every will benefit from these services yet they still have to pay.:mad:

Ireland is one of the last countries in Europe to introduce these charges and the Charge is a commitment by Ireland under the EU/IMF programme. I also note that many groups are exempt from the Charge and not everyone has to pay.

Furthermore, what is actually the problem with contributing to these services? Ireland is broke - end of.

you've ans. your question there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

iTom wrote: »
    I know its a hard pill to swallow they the country is but we will have to pay it one way or the other we are not going to get away from it not matter what protest we do.

Anyone on social welfare benefits of any kind will be caught and at the moment that is allot.
    in what way will they be 'caught'

CMCR wrote: »
    That's irresponsible advice. Maybe I should just hold off on paying the thousands of euro in income tax and other taxes I pay each year? Everyone knows I love spending 4 hours per day commuting to/from work!

The charge is going to pay for community services including fire and emergency services, street lighting, libraries, leisure amenities, etc. These services aren't 'absolutely nothing'. Ireland is one of the last countries in Europe to introduce these charges and the Charge is a commitment by Ireland under the EU/IMF programme. I also note that many groups are exempt from the Charge and not everyone has to pay.

You are easily fooled. Not 1 cent of this money will go to street lighting, libraries or leisure amenities. It all goes straight to the billionnaire unsecured bond holders to make hundreds of more millions profit on the backs of the irish paddy or mary. Note the €1.27 billion handed over yesterday. Fools that we are! and a government not worthy of the name.

All this while old folks homes are closed, hospital beds closed, gardai are laid off, nurses laid off, fire fighters laid off added to thousands of cuts left right and centre.

No wonder really when people like you are so easily fooled by government spin, lies and a 'sure what else can we do' crawling on their bellies attitude. Paddy lie down all over again.

Get some backbone and stand up for your yourself, your family and all the other victims of this outrage.

hadepsx wrote: »

Social welfare recipients are exempt of the tax (for now and to be short lived) however all are expected to register and subsequently pay water taxes to a company called Irish Water.

This while 50% of water leaks through our shambles of a distribution system.

Answer: Use the €1 billion investment in water metres to fix the network instead. All the water we need will be saved, very enviornmentally friendly thing to do and provides thousands with employment.

Will this happen? Not at all...the real objective here is to privatise the water of Ireland and hand it over to billionnaires so they can screw us a bit more.

And EVERYONE will be expected to pay, no exceptions. Its not good enough that we pay for all this already. Croppy boy lie down again!

Its time to stand together and say enough is enough! Join the anti household charge campaign and defend your vunerable neighbours, family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Where does it say Social Welfare recipients are excluded???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

This unfortunately has strayed off into a generic discussion on the charge itself which is better debated on other forums on boards, the original query was in regards an opposition protest group in Carlow and if the thread continues to stray away from that I will have to lock the thread.

Regards
    Tommy

rosehip wrote: »
    Where does it say Social Welfare recipients are excluded???

Correction: Social housing residents are excluded not social welfare recipients. I apoligise for the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

When anyone that has signed on for social welfare would have filled in the form and on it it said are you a home owner or what ever and that is how the have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

iTom wrote: »

When anyone that has signed on for social welfare would have filled in the form and on it it said are you a home owner or what ever and that is how the have you.

OK thread locked as per previous warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement