Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad 2 or not Ipad 2 for father's 60th

• 20-01-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi guys,

So maybe this is the wrong forum to post in since everyone loves apple but here is my quandary, My dad turns 60 soon and after a health scare, he's back feeling good and we want to mark this birthday with a good knees up!

I want to buy him something good. He is a big fan of reading car magazines and the farmers journal etc. I got an ipad 2 from my wife at Christmas, and I absolutely love it!! cannot get enough of it. Dad used it for a little bit at Christmas and took to it like a duck to water. Bear in mind, he has never really used a PC or laptop and wouldn't really know how to that much.

So my question is, should I go the whole hog and get him an ipad 2 or an android tablet which is cheaper. Funds are tight but if it needs be, I'll push for the best one for him in terms of usability and for someone who knows very little about PC's. I need to buy today however, had looked at getting the ipad 1 but they are like gold dust and hard to get, and it is a bit last minute.

I can set the whole thing up for him, but do you think I should buy the ipad 2, get the cheaper alternative of an android tablet or just leave it. They have a laptop in the house so my brother can help ensure things are up to date on it.

Thank you in advance for your replies

Should I buy my dad an ipad 2 14 votes

Yes, he's only 60 once and its worth it
    0% 0 votes
    No, he knows nothing of the world of technology
    92% 13 votes
    No, go over to the dark side of Android
    7% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Buy him the iPad 2 if you can afford it - it's hassle free and so easy to use.

I bought one for my parents at Christmas and they love it - especially FaceTime
    They have access to a laptop but tbh they were a little intimidated by it and had constant hassle with the webcam.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As you say, its an Apple forum, but the iPad 2 is brilliant for magazines and reading, as long as its not in sunlight. So many other things you can do as well through apps, it is an amazing piece of kit. Any other family that could club together and split the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

whiterebel wrote: »
    As you say, its an Apple forum, but the iPad 2 is brilliant for magazines and reading, as long as its not in sunlight. So many other things you can do as well through apps, it is an amazing piece of kit. Any other family that could club together and split the cost?

Yea, my brother is going to split the cost with me which is fine. It's just the initial payment and it will be a few days before my brother gives me the money. I am siding with the ipad for its ease of use. I suppose I just want to see what other ideas are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Yeah. Go with it.
    As far as Android is concerned, I have both an iPad 1 and a motorola Xoom. I use the iPad a lot more (Actually thinking of selling the Xoom).
    I really love my Android phone and wouldn't switch to an iphone, but as far as tablets go, they still have a lot of catching up to do - maybe the 2012 models will see an improvement.

For one thing, the battery on the Xoom is nowhere near as good as the ipad (1st generation remember).
    The ipad would be much less hassle for him if he isn't tech savvy.
    The Xoom is heavier and clunkier than the ipad 1 so I imagine the difference with
    the ipad 2 would be bigger.
    I also know people with the Galaxy tab 10.1 and they have had a similar experience.

The sound on the Xoom is much better.
    I never have to connect it to a computer.
    It has an sd card slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

I'm saying this as an Apple fanboy, (posting this on my iPad 2).... If he will only be using it for reading mags and such why not go for a kindle? The big drawback with the iPad is its not great in any sort of sunlight. Kindle would be far cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

if using it for reading e-magazines, I'd wait for iPad 3 if possible. I always thought the v1 and v2 iPad had too small a resolution for reading magazines (1024x768). I read books ok on it, but for magazines, found I had to zoom in and out, which wasn't worth the trouble. iPad 3 is (unoficially) reported to be out early this year and have a higher resolution.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

padraig_f wrote: »
    if using it for reading e-magazines, I'd wait for iPad 3 if possible. I always thought the v1 and v2 iPad had too small a resolution for reading magazines (1024x768). I read books ok on it, but for magazines, found I had to zoom in and out, which wasn't worth the trouble. iPad 3 is (unoficially) reported to be out early this year and have a higher resolution.

I think its great for magazines myself, I love the way you go in by section. I have a Kindle too, BTW, and apart from sunlit conditions, the iPad 2 is much better to me. The Kindle seems so ungainly to use as well.

Advertisement