Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage query

• 20-01-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, Im wondering if anyone out there could clarify the query I have in relation to a mortgage.
    I hope to build in the near future but I don't know what sort of a mortgage to take out. I have about 40,000+ in savings so a deposit will not be an issue.
    Here's my question: If I aim to build a house for 220,00 with 22,000 for deposit are my repayments going to be based on a mortgage of 220,000 or 180,000.
    Apolagies this may seem like a silly question but my head is in a bit of a spin!
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

It's based on what you borrow. If you borrow €180,000 the mortgage is for €180,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paraic OMuir

If you are building for 220K.
    Using 22K of your 40K in savings as deposit.
    The mortgage is for 198K.
    Leaving you remaining with 18K in savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lollymob

Thanks Paraic, that's very helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you are building for 220K.
    Using 22K of your 40K in savings as deposit.
    The mortgage is for 198K.
    Leaving you remaining with 18K in savings.

Don't agree, why would he keep 18K in savings when he could use that money to reduce the amount he has to borrow?

He will pay a higher interest rate on the mortgage than he will get in interest from a savings account so it makes no sense to leave 18K sitting in a deposit account when it could be used to reduce the size of his mortgage.

OP, when the house is finished, put as much of your cash as you can to the principal in order to minimize your borrowings, that means on the numbers above you will be borrowing 180,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Keep the extra savings.

Your self build will run over budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lollymob

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't agree, why would he keep 18K in savings when he could use that money to reduce the amount he has to borrow?

He will pay a higher interest rate on the mortgage than he will get in interest from a savings account so it makes no sense to leave 18K sitting in a deposit account when it could be used to reduce the size of his mortgage.

OP, when the house is finished, put as much of your cash as you can to the principal in order to minimize your borrowings, that means on the numbers above you will be borrowing 180,000.

Thanks for the reply. I cant imagine that 200,000 would stretch too far for a self build. I would see it as essential to have other savings in order to finish the house.

Advertisement