Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving ESB Meter

Options
  • 20-01-2012 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Just had our house renovated. The ESB meter was originally on the outside wall of the house just left of the hall door. The electrician then moved it about 4ft to the inside wall when he was re-wiring. It is now sitting on top of the door frame and looks absolutely sh*7te :mad: I mentioned it to the builder and he said that it would cost about €1,000 to move it and that only the ESB could do it :confused:. Now this guy would say Mass so just checking if there is any truth in it? If the electrician moved it in the first place then why the hell can't he move it back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

spark prob not registered so can't do anything with it

esbn wont do anything without a cert from registered electrician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

M cebee wrote: »
    spark prob not registered so can't do anything with it

esbn wont do anything without a cert from registered electrician

He is registered and he's already sent in the cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Its a job for ESB Networks. Details here

cdb wrote: »
    Its a job for ESB Networks. Details here

My query is he moved it in the first place why can't he move it back :mad:. It's only a few feet and it's hanging over the door frame!

cant tell much from here-have you asked him?

are esbn due to call?

on a rewire esbn may connect new tails to existing meter indoors or else meter is relocated to a cabinet outside

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    cant tell much from here-have you asked him?

are esbn due to call?

on a rewire esbn may connect new tails to existing meter indoors or else meter is relocated to a cabinet outside

ESB are due to call to connect the tails. I don't want to pay them to have this moved as I feel it should have been put back in its original location. Will be taking it up with the architect before ESB come so hopefully he can get it rectified.

doesnt seem like theres any problem here assuming esbn reconnect to meter 'indoors'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why was it moved in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

any chance pics
    possibly moved it so that the outside wall could be insulated during renovations
    the inside wall may be studded so it makes dropping wires to new fuseboard easier to hide
    if he has issued cert and you have paid esbn to connect new tails then all should be in order (electric wise)
    he possibly should have discussed moving the meter to an outside box much earlier in the renovations
    the last relocation of meter cost my client €480 (paid to esbn)not including ducting and trenching that the builder charged

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

post a picture of the meter :) and the door frame

• Advertisement

Here's a pic. What do you think?

:o

I see why your not happy. I don't think the ESB will be too pleased either. Your sparks shouldnt have touched the meter. Pity you didn't decide to move it outside from the start. Have you question him on why he move it?

Davy wrote: »
    :o

I see why your not happy. I don't think the ESB will be too pleased either. Your sparks shouldnt have touched the meter. Pity you didn't decide to move it outside from the start. Have you question him on why he move it?

No, I presumed he would move it back before they left :mad:. I just want it back on the outside wall or at least in line with the new fuse box so that I can get a cover made for it. Will take it up with the architect. Not happy.

No, I presumed he would move it back before they left :mad:. I just want it back on the outside wall or at least in line with the new fuse box so that I can get a cover made for it. Will take it up with the architect. Not happy.

You should be able to get the meter up above the cutout (other black box) and it won't be so bad. The cutout will have to stay as is because of cable length. Both are property of networks so should only be move by them

Davy wrote: »
    You should be able to get the meter up above the cutout (other black box) and it won't be so bad. The cutout will have to stay as is because of cable length. Both are property of networks so should only be move by them

If it should only be moved by the ESB then why was the bloody thing moved in the first place? That's my query! We didn't knock down or insulate the outside wall:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

He is registered and he's already sent in the cert!

Did he give you your copy?

Oucheek.gif No really it Looks goodredface.gif

Are you sure he wasnt originally planning on moving it back(maybe the plasterer got in before he got a chance to move it) why else would he leave the long tails there like that in a nice tidy mess.

Also did they do a full re-wire? If so then your fuse board position is against regulations for a start.

paddymick wrote: »
    Did he give you your copy?

Oucheek.gif No really it Looks goodredface.gif

Are you sure he wasnt originally planning on moving it back(maybe the plasterer got in before he got a chance to move it) why else would he leave the long tails there like that in a nice tidy mess.

Also did they do a full re-wire? If so then your fuse board position is against regulations for a start.

Don't know what he was planning to do, they were all working together! The house was totally renovated from top to bottom and fully re-wired.

the DB looks to be above the 2.25m regulation height

What M cebee said:)

What's a DB? :o

• Advertisement

What's a DB? :o

Your fuseboard.(distribution board)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

What an abortion of a job! why didnt he move the meter to an external box? nobody can touch the ESB meter except ESB networks, I moved my own meter last year (I'm an electrician) you need a cert and a relocation fee of about 400 euros is charged by ESB. If you owe him money I'd say dont pay untill its moved to a location that you are happy with. I'd also say the ESB wont be happy when they see that someone interfered with the meter, and if the seal was broken they might get a bit sticky. (Thank god I'm an electrician and I dont have to deal with these cowboys).

DB distribution board

2.25m is the max height to the top of board

lynchieboy wrote: »
    What an abortion of a job! why didnt he move the meter to an external box? nobody can touch the ESB meter except ESB networks, I moved my own meter last year (I'm an electrician) you need a cert and a relocation fee of about 400 euros is charged by ESB. If you owe him money I'd say dont pay untill its moved to a location that you are happy with. I'd also say the ESB wont be happy when they see that someone interfered with the meter, and if the seal was broken they might get a bit sticky. (Thank god I'm an electrician and I dont have to deal with these cowboys).

How can he move it if the ESB are the only ones who can do it? :confused:
    Yes, he moved it a few feet which he probably shouldn't have done. No, we didn't get a copy of his cert but he did tell me he's sent it in to the ESB. Sigh. Thank God, we've only paid the builders half the money! Over to the architect to sort out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

In fairness, it may well cost up to €1000 to get the meter moved the the suggested location by some posters here (outside in a meter box). And it appears the OP didn't want this, so claiming it was "the right thing to do" byt he builder is not strictly true.
    That doesn't excuse it's current positioning....looks like the length of the incoming tales governed its position. Nor does it excuse him moving the meter.

The solution is probably still the same as it was from the start though, ie. an ESB callout costing €400 + associated works. This will have to be paid by the OP, not the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I think the main problems here were lack of planning
    The electrical contractor should have discussed moving the meter to the outside on day 1
    I'm sure he repositioned the meter temporarily so that the outside Walls could be plastered
    He most likely hasn't broken any seals to do so
    He would have done this without involving esbn so that the job could proceed without disruption to power supply knowing that when he issues the cert ,esbn will reconnect the new tails(you will have to pay for this upgrade reconnection)
    In my experience of esbn,if they have to move the meter,even 1 ft,there will be an additional charge as they will have to send out an additional crew who work on supply not metering
    Also as others have stated,your d.b is incorrectly positioned according to current regulations
    I think you should speak directlly to your electrical contractor first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

OH MY GOD.:eek::eek:

If the sparks moved it,then he should move it back again and install it safely and propperly.

Otherwize...................

Picture and small claims court,if the sparks wont sort that and put it right for you.

Too many cowboys out there nowadays,and they are giving other professional trades people a bad name,because of their shody dangerous work.

paddy147 wrote: »

If the sparks moved it,then he should move it back again and install it safely and propperly.

Picture and small claims court,if the sparks wont sort that and put it right for you.

Too many cowboys out there nowadays,and they are giving other professional trades people a bad name,because of their shody dangerous work.

the meter has just been lifted off the outside wall -no biggie really if seals are intact

customers and builders often dont want to shift meters due to cost and delays

he's at fault for db height and anything else that may be amiss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What big danger is there? DB is higher than the reg height by the look of it. Thats a different problem to do with standing on ladders or chairs to operate MCB`s. Hardly a major electrical danger, which cant really be judged from a photo of an unfinished job.

The height of DB aside, or any other possible problems in the OPs setup, how many properly done electrical jobs would look good if photos of them half finished were put up on this forum? Meters arer often temporarily moved and/or connected, pending the final proper connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I wouldn't be too happy about where the meter is placed also. But what grounds would you go to court on?:confused:
    Would you be happy to pay €1000 to get it moved to where it would be best suited? (an external meter box)?

Advertisement