Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving ESB Meter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i wouldn't condemn a electrician based upon the height of a DB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cast_iron wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too happy about where the meter is placed also. But what grounds would you go to court on?:confused:
    Would you be happy to pay €1000 to get it moved to where it would be best suited? (an external meter box)?

Shoddy workmanship and failure to propperly install the item safely and correctly.

Thats if the OP has asked the sparks,who went near it in the 1st place,to remedy the problem and fix it back propperly and correctly,and he has failed to do so.And if the OP has thern had to fork out more money to remedy/fix the problem after the sparks failed to remedy/fix the problem.

Then a picture and small claims court application form and a case/judgement against the sparks.

This method works,trust me.;):D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Shoddy workmanship and failure to propperly install the item safely and correctly.

Thats if the OP has asked the sparks,who went near it in the 1st place,to remedy the problem and fix it back propperly and correctly,and he has failed to do so.And if the OP has thern had to fork out more money to remedy/fix the problem after the sparks failed to remedy/fix the problem.

Then a picture and small claims court application form and a case/judgement against the sparks.

This method works,trust me.;):D

ya right!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

That's not grounds to bring a small claims case. It certinaly is highly unlikely to be successful.

The only likely court case here is one against you for libel against the electrician in question as you have posted slanderous comments with no foundation.

The installation IS "safe", I'm not sure you could class it as "improper" either. It's unfinished, so currently, it shouldn't be judged in any case.

That's not grounds to bring a small claims case. It certinaly is highly unlikely to be successful.

The only likely court case here is one against you for libel against the electrician in question as you have posted slanderous comments with no foundation.

The installation IS "safe", I'm not sure you could class it as "improper" either. It's unfinished, so currently, it shouldn't be judged in any case.

Have I mentioned a "specific" name or company???Eh no I havent.

Why dont you read the entire thread 1st.

Sue me then,if you want to.Id love to see you try it.:pac::pac:

Oh,and in my own personal circumstances,I was very successfull when it came to a small claims court.:D

• Advertisement

Have I mentioned a "specific" name or company???Eh no I havent.
    Indeed you haven't. But if his name was posted, then your comments would be potentially slanderous - as they are incorrect.
    Oh,and in my own personal circumstances,I was very successfull when it came to a small claims court.:D
    Good for you, however tales of your small claims cases do not belong in this thread.

Indeed you haven't. But if his name was posted, then your comments would be potentially slanderous - as they are incorrect.

Good for you, however tales of your small claims cases do not belong in this thread.

Chop and change to suit.......

Now they are "potentially".

Sue me then.:pac::pac:

Chop and change to suit.......

Now they are "potentially".

Sue me then.:pac::pac:
    I'd rather not debate like a child over semantics.
    You've already ruined the thread with nonsense, so I'm out.

I'd rather not debate like a child over semantics.
    You've already ruined the thread with nonsense, so I'm out.

Bye bye so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bye bye so.
    At least explain why you would sue in this case, based on that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I still believe the electrician planned on moving it back at some stage why else would he leave the tails like that,I dont think even the biggest gangster would just leave them that long in a mess like that and walk away saying the job is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads no legal advice here, that includes telling people how to sue others, its an old forum rule, please follow it. This thread has been reduced to a joke.

Just had our house renovated. The ESB meter was originally on the outside wall of the house just left of the hall door. The electrician then moved it about 4ft to the inside wall when he was re-wiring. It is now sitting on top of the door frame and looks absolutely sh*7te :mad: I mentioned it to the builder and he said that it would cost about €1,000 to move it and that only the ESB could do it :confused:. Now this guy would say Mass so just checking if there is any truth in it? If the electrician moved it in the first place then why the hell can't he move it back?

Meters can be moved a few feet at times, if possible with cable slack etc, with cables still connected to them, depending on whats happening to the house. The electrician would then run a 16 sq twin and earth from where the DB will be, to where the meter will finaly be, preferably to an outside meter box.

The ESBn would then move the meter to this location, preferably an outside meter box as said above, once a cert is in for the electrical job that was done.

Was the meter temporarilly moved due to the actual construction work?

Last time i temporarilly moved one, it was because a door was going where it originaly was, during a large extension build, so we moved it a couple of feet, where it remained even for a week after the house was complete. We moved the original DB position too, so a temp twin and earth was running from this meter, through a wall, into the utility room for the new DB. So a photo of this would not have looked like a nice completed job, because it was not completed.

Then ESBn moved it to the new outside meter box which we had wired a mains cable to, from the new DB, during the build.

All this should be planned in advance, and would usually be discussed with the owner at the outset.

The cost of having the meter located to a proper box outside would be the ESBn cost for moving the meter, plus the builder installation cost of the meter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree with Robbie here
    This is exactly how I would do it
    I wouldn't have liked a picture taken before completion either
    (off topic,how's the leg Robbie )

meercat wrote: »

Its a nuisance, but at least its a small cast now since the boxing day op. More x rays next monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Agree with Robbie here
    This is exactly how I would do it
    I wouldn't have liked a picture taken before completion either

:confused: The job is completed. Everyone has left!

Well they have left without completing the job so. Paddy will be back to advise:pac:

What exactly do you want the end result to be?

It really is up to you, and what you want to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

What exactly do you want the end result to be?

It really is up to you, and what you want to pay for.

I want the meter to not look like it was done by Stevie Wonder! Either move it up so that it's in line with the fuse box or moved the few feet back to the wall it came from. I'm paying the ESB €160 to connect the tails and have no intention of paying any more. I just think it's a shocking way to leave a job :mad:.

tell the guy whos doing the job then

we cant move it

• Advertisement

I want the meter to not look like it was done by Stevie Wonder! Either move it up so that it's in line with the fuse box or moved the few feet back to the wall it came from. I'm paying the ESB €160 to connect the tails and have no intention of paying any more. I just think it's a shocking way to leave a job :mad:.
    In fairness, it doesn't look great. The tails are very long, but they will be tidied up when ESBN does their connection.

Moving it back to its original position on a different wall would look alot worse in my opinion. It's not something most trades people would do, as they tend to try to keep services together as much as possible. Having them speckled on different walls etc looks terrible. I guess the hanging cables to the left of the DB is for an alarm or similar? Again, convention would be to keep this beside the DB for neatness - not over on another wall because it may have been there before.

An "I want if fixed" line is grand, but this seem to be one of those situations where they did the best they could within the constraints of the ESB incoming cables. I'd guess the reason it's not any higher is that the ESB incoming cable length are not long enough to do this. That's not anyone's fault. As was stated earlier here and by your builder, a charge of up to €1000 would not be that unreasonable to remedy this. And it's really up to you if you want this.

Perhaps getting the builder to agree to build a box of some sort around it might be a solution?

op,any chance of a pic of the other side of the arch way and where esb cables come in

the best solution to what you have now is to fit meter back on front wall(maybe padsaw needed to cut track to raise the meter and cutout)
    then new tails from db into ceiling and dropped at meter
    your sparks will do this for you
    nothing major i would say
    you are better off discussing this directly with the electrician

M cebee wrote: »

we cant move it

A we can:D
    meter.jpg

thought you couldnt work with that gammy leg;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

robbie7730 wrote: »

Is the cutout outside now? :p

Davy wrote: »
    Is the cutout outside now? :p

I painted over it:D

Although i think thats it to the right of the meter, i did a cowboy job and moved them in one go.

thought you couldnt work with that gammy leg;)

I know, its a new online electrical service.

M cebee wrote: »

we cant move it

meter.jpg
    I'm sure this is how the sparks intends the finished job to look
    It's possible that the incoming mains can be redrilled higher up
    The hole and a wavin sheath will have to be done by the electrician though
    Esbn may classify this as a reposition of service and charge extra for it
    If the sparks is on site when the Esb call ,he may be able to rectify any problems

Well they have left without completing the job so. Paddy will be back to advise:pac:

If I was the OP,then I know what I would be doing and who I would be calling demanding that the individual/company involved in moving/altering that DB,immediately remedy/fix this problem.

And if the answer was no,or they failed to show up again,then I know what particular form I would be filling out and where I would be going with it asap.

To the OP............dont back down on this matter.

I hope you get it propperly fixed/sorted..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭perry stanley

Gee thats a mess,:o and our local esbn lads would walk away from that. the country has seen plenty of such work were the culprits are too ready to walk away and leave it like that.
    The advice we have alway s been given is the meters be located outdoors in a cabinet......etc etc
    But tell me this where is the protection for the tails?
    Name and shame should be brought in.

Advertisement