Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving ESB Meter

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    If I was the OP,then I know what I would be doing and who I would be calling demanding that the individual/company involved in moving/altering that DB,immediately remedy/fix this problem.

And if the answer was no,or they failed to show up again,then I know what particular form I would be filling out and where I would be going with it asap.

Maybe the OP does not want to pay to have the meter moved properly.

Gee thats a mess,:o and our local esbn lads would walk away from that. the country has seen plenty of such work were the culprits are too ready to walk away and leave it like that.
    The advice we have alway s been given is the meters be located outdoors in a cabinet......etc etc
    But tell me this where is the protection for the tails?
    Name and shame should be brought in.

I think your local ESBn lads would easily move the meter out into an outside cabinet. Having this cabinet properly fitted is down to the house owner paying to have it done.

If the meter is staying inside, then the ESBn lads will have to re-route the supply cables, are they going to do this for free i wonder?

Op take some pics of where it was originally if you can, showing it compared to where it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Gee thats a mess,:o and our local esbn lads would walk away from that. the country has seen plenty of such work were the culprits are too ready to walk away and leave it like that.
    The advice we have alway s been given is the meters be located outdoors in a cabinet......etc etc
    But tell me this where is the protection for the tails?
    Name and shame should be brought in.

if you mean an mcb on the tails-they don't need it here

although I would use pvc/pvc singles

meter location isn't ideal and DB height doesn't comply but some people are getting over-excited here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Okay, some good advice here, and some overly dramatic stuff that lets the good intent get lost in a sea of noise.

Basically, once a meter is secured for ongoing work, in an upright position without being tampered with, there is rarely an issue.

In this case, there doesn't seem to have been any malintent, but the meter has been left in a ridiculous location, because the existing ayy feed was too short. As well as that, it is now buried behind either cement and skim or (insulated? Oh dear!) plasterboard. That's a no no.

With the amount of work that went on here-purely from an expense perspective, the customer will have to pay ESBN €161 plus the VAT to have the new tails connected. Judging by the length of them he must have got a job lot of 16s copper...

For an extra two hundred quid, and a couple of hours of the builder's time, while they were in anyway, the meter could have been moved to an outside box, and none of this would be an issue at all. The plasterers would probably have been quite happy not to have to skim around a live cable and apparatus with wet trowels, as well.

As said, he's obviously not up to par with the regs, putting the DB where he did, when he had any location he wanted at his disposal.

Look at it this way, if that service breaks down behind a batten, it will happily ignite anything near it. The consequences don't need to be elaborated upon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

meercat wrote: »
    In my experience of esbn,if they have to move the meter,even 1 ft,there will be an additional charge as they will have to send out an additional crew who work on supply not metering
    Also as others have stated,your d.b is incorrectly positioned according to current regulations
    I think you should speak directlly to your electrical contractor first

Not sure about the Dublin and Cork city areas (where there are still dedicated metering staff), but this doesn't apply anywhere else any more, the customer services guy deals with everything!

edit to add: Looks like the chippy had to cut a chunk out of the nice new door frame to accomodate the meter board as well! Lovely.

Not sure about the Dublin and Cork city areas (where there are still dedicated metering staff), but this doesn't apply anywhere else any more, the customer services guy deals with everything!

edit to add: Looks like the chippy had to cut a chunk out of the nice new door frame to accomodate the meter board as well! Lovely.

Did you not see post #54, the door frame is perfect:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Ok, here's the original position of the meter. It's boxed in. Ugly but not as ugly as it is now! :( We don't want the meter moved outside. Nobody on our terrace has done this and it would ruin the look of the house.

Its really a matter of the esb re-running the supply to the meter so that the meter can be positioned properly up beside the DB by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its really a matter of the esb re-running the supply to the meter so that the meter can be positioned properly up beside the DB by the look of it.
    Agree
    New hole to outside with a protective wavin should do the trick(sparks will have to do this)
    Reposition service though for esbn

• Advertisement

Yes OP, as meercat says, the sparks will have to provide a suitable hole through the wall for the esbn to re-route their supply cables into the new meter position up beside the DB.

He would need to look at it with them there before drilling anything i would say, to see exactly what they require for that particular job.

Then the tails can be tidied up, and a cabinet made around the DB and meter.

any update lilybarlean,thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

meercat wrote: »
    When they dont't like what they hear, they generally don't return to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Forgot about this thread, kinda want to hear what happened in the end now? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I get the feeling that its not going to be a nice happy ending anyway.

I get the feeling that its not going to be a nice happy ending anyway.

No, most electricians wouldnt provide that kind of service.

No, most electricians wouldnt provide that kind of service.

"Most" isnt everyone though,is it?

Some (sad and angry to say) do.

Theres a few bad eggs in every trade/profession.:(

"Most" isnt everyone though,is it?

Some (sad and angry to say) do.

Theres a few bad eggs in every trade/profession.:(

It was a joke reply paddy, maybe i should of highlighted the happy ending bit:D

It was a joke reply paddy, maybe i should of highlighted the happy ending bit:D

Hopefully,in the end,the OP will have the last laugh.

Regards.:)

I wouldn't think it has been resolved yet though
    These things tend not to be straight forward
    Numerous contact between esbn and electrician will be required
    Just wondering about the outcome though?

• Advertisement

just wonder did you resolve this

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

Hi. I would like to know did you resolove your problem about your esb meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TierT

Not sure if this is right area to post this. We during a house renovation moved our ESB meter from inside under our stairs to outside by our front door.

Our electrician verbally said this would be ~ €300 plus what ESB charge (which was €491).

We proceeded with the work and he has billed us €1200 plus VAT

I would like to know if this is a price we should have expected. We said to him that we were shocked at high price we were expecting more in €300 range as he'd verbalized.

He said the materials wouldn't even be covered by €300!

I priced a cabinet at ~ €90 and cables €10/m and couldn't find earth rod price.

Could anyone tell me what this job should cost and how many hours work it would take?

The wires didn't have to go under ground and my builder replastered the walls that the wires were chased through.

Advertisement