Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

privitisation of Coillte forests

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

In the UK they are dealing with sh!t like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13195576

actually only knew about that as there's an item about it on Radio 4 atm (I listen on longwave).

Edit>But don't want to derail the thread with that link ;)

And I don't see any need for appologising for getting political ffs politics are just as likely for the Sh!t to Hit the Fan as anything else.

What Ireland needs is something like the right to roam they have in the UK plus public footpaths and the removal of the really stupid land owners insurance liability. Your choice to take the walk/run/hike etc your liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Just to see if I have this right
    • FF wanted to sell the forests at a grand an acre
    • Bertie was chair of one of the companies making a play to buy it
    • FG swore up and down that they would never sell the forests
    • FG are now looking at selling the forests
    • Bertie is still in the picture
    Is that about the size of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Just to see if I have this right
    • FF wanted to sell the forests at a grand an acre
    • Bertie was chair of one of the companies making a play to buy it
    • FG swore up and down that they would never sell the forests
    • FG are now looking at selling the forests
    • Bertie is still in the picture
    Is that about the size of it?

You missed
    • Bertie has seen informtation about the true value of the land that is not availble to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Fat cats rape country again!
    Whats new pussy cat? Woah Wooooahhaa Wooooeeee!

You missed
    • Bertie has seen informtation about the true value of the land that is not availble to the public.
    Defies belief how that lad is still walking around freely.

Anyway, I had a good look on the internet for opposition groups, and I can't find much. Yeah there's loads of petitions and so on, but that won't do anything, the occupy groups and lefty protests are strictly amateur hour.

What it needs is a single focal group for others to join, registered as a charity, with actual chuggers out there hounding people for donations to a legal defence fund. Local subgroups then can organise bingo nights and whatnot, as well as putting organised pressure on representatives to do the right thing, and carefully orchestrating protests.

This registered charity, whose purpose is to safeguard the future of Ireland's forests in the public trust, would then identify those people and companies who would be adversely affected by the forestry selloff, and rally them behind the cause as well. I'd say within 6 months a dedicated group would have enough momentum to squash the sale flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

It defies belief that once again we'll sit back and let this happen. I doubt there's a more submissive nation on this earth.

It defies belief that once again we'll sit back and let this happen. I doubt there's a more submissive nation on this earth.
    Yeah, tell that to the green party. I think we as a nation are far more law abiding than perhaps the reputation might suggest.

All thats missing from this picture is proper organisation, and it doesn't get more photogenic than a save the forests charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I doubt there's a more submissive nation on this earth.

North Korea. But they have actual proper concentration camps like the Germans did and a million-man army.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

great . lets buy some.

Lets form a big noticeable group called 'Survivalists disunited for freedom, fatherland and forests' and go public with a big campaign to buy lots of the forest when it comes up for sale. Make people think the forests are in danger of being owned by survivalists and they will probably do something to keep them in the public domain.

If not, then lets buy it anyway.

As for Bertie:
    1. If we are have as good at surviving as him we will be doing well
    2. Who knows what a company buying it up could be a front for, maybe even mad survivalists...wahhhahaha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

eth0 wrote: »
    North Korea. But they have actual proper concentration camps like the Germans did and a million-man army.

You mean the NAZIS!!;)There were enough Germans in said concentration camps too,because of their undesireability to the Master race ideal of society.:(

Anyways,moving on...
    Nice if we could organise somthing like that,but I think the the Irish GP is now too traumatised with "taxes with everything" to be worried about saving in the broadest terms ,a semi state bodys timber crop!Granted ,there are parts of it that have still some natural Irish woodland left..Its somthing minute like 1% or less...And that should be preserved at al costs.
    But the outright standing blocks of ugly ground and mountain stream polluting, darkening out so that nothing can survive on the forest floor because of lack of sunlight, non native Stika spruce blocks of 2rd grade timber in a lot of cases or pulpwood.Please chainsaw away!!!That isnt forest ,that is a crop,and a very badly tended one too in most cases.:(

Would say more than likely it will be corporate raided by the Chinese/Indians,who will help themselves to the lumber at knockdown prices,get their staff into run it and give our lot the bums rush or menial jobs,or just flog it off altogether.

IF it is the LAND they are after and Mr Ahern has inside knowledge of the value under it,well then thats another bucket of Haddock!
    OTOH maybe if a foreigin entity does come in here with the intent of producing forestry as a viable cash crop for industry,does it right and properly,unlike the total Hames that has been done with it here for over fifty years and creates jobs in the process,isnt that somting to be possibly welcomed??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would say more than likely it will be corporate raided by the Chinese/Indians,who will help themselves to the lumber at knockdown prices,get their staff into run it and give our lot the bums rush or menial jobs,or just flog it off altogether.

The bloody Chinese could be after it alright. They were also supposed to build a massive complex in Offaly with the sole purpose of exhibiting Chinese shoite to flog to Europe but I don't know if thats been canceled. They are doing a great job of emptying out Africa of all its worth and people in power are doing a sh1t job of being weary as fcuk of the Chinese. If they did actually buy the land it would be fierce tempting to 'give them a hand' clearing it.

They probably need the wood in order to continue supplying Lidl/Aldi with cheap chopping boards made up of little square blocks glued together that fall apart after a number of weeks/months or start to bend slowly

What Ireland needs is something like the right to roam they have in the UK plus public footpaths and the removal of the really stupid land owners insurance liability. Your choice to take the walk/run/hike etc your liability.

Slight difference in the UK ,you have well established "rights of way" with things like lanes,bridlepaths,roman roads etc.Here in Ireland the situation isnt as clearly established about rights of way.What might have been a right of way might have fallen into disuse over a 100 years ago,and only shows up on maps from that time doesnt automatically qualify it as a public or private right of way anymore.
    Unless it has been used continously by a private person for seven years and a day by the same person or their fammily or the public ASFIK,it doesnt qualifyas a public right of way anymore.IOW use it or lose it.

Agree that the occupiers liability act is still too broad in favour of the tresspasser...But then the trouble is this is Ireland!Where if you give some people an inch they take 10 miles!Give them the right to roam by walking,before long your trail is now host to the Paris Dakar rally as a bunch of numpties try to get their dirtbikes ,quads and 4wds up a foot path!:mad:Being a user of all such marvellous vechicles,I am appalled at the cavalier attitudes some people have in where they think they can go with them on other peoples property.Ditto for some horse riders.Its a foot path,not as bridlepath!Tread lightly seems still to be unheard of here.

Then we had the famous Lissadell house right of way debacle in Sligo last year.Yes,they should have checked that out properly before buying and sinking a few millions of their own money into preserving a piece of Irish heritage for the state and the people,as the Irish state sure as Hell wasnt intrested in looking after it!

Now everyone lost out!The owners who had to recoup their money some way by opening it to the public for a fee,big houses cost alot to look after,especially on that scale..and now the pouplation of the areaand Ireland as a magnificent and historic building and grounds sit idle and are going back into rack and ruin behind bars and private property signs.Worse is the message it sent out,allow public right of way it will cost you in money, in court and with PR.
    It is going too polarised again here.Neither side will discuss or try and sort this out rationaly as both sides sat THEY are right and there is no room for compromise.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

eth0 wrote: »
    The bloody Chinese could be after it alright. They were also supposed to build a massive complex in Offaly with the sole purpose of exhibiting Chinese shoite to flog to Europe but I don't know if thats been canceled. They are doing a great job of emptying out Africa of all its worth and people in power are doing a sh1t job of being weary as fcuk of the Chinese. If they did actually buy the land it would be fierce tempting to 'give them a hand' clearing it.
    Watch that space,reckon the spring of their economy and political life will go SPROINK!!!soon too.:eek:

They probably need the wood in order to continue supplying Lidl/Aldi with cheap chopping boards made up of little square blocks glued together that fall apart after a number of weeks/months or start to bend slowly

Wha you expect???Quality??Silly Western round eye! Of course fall apart..Make more work for Chinese worker peasent in glorious state market controlled chopping block making flactory in glorious peoples republic!!We make shte cheep,you buy cheep shte!So buy new one!
    We need more Euros and Dollah... Stlopid Western foregin Devil..You no understand how Capitalism work???:D:D

bonniebede wrote: »
    If not, then lets buy it anyway.
    Ah not for the hoi polloi a grand an acre, that's a special "friends of Bertie" bulk discount, if it was that cheap I'd own large swathes of the country myself by now! :D

No the only way to call a halt to this three card shuffle is have them up in front of the Supreme Court and have Chief Justice Denham hand down a judgement forbidding such transactions in perpetuity. Takes a bit of money to do that though.

Anyone know anything about these Woodland League people, they seem a mysterious group of druids since I can't find any contact information on the site.

Advertisement