Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ulster, Sat 21st Jan 2012, Stade Marcel Michelin, 3:40pm

Options
  • 20-01-2012 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Ulster have named their side to face Clermont:

Ulster Match Day Squad to face ASM Clermont Auvergne, Saturday 21st January 2012, Stade Marcel Michelin (kick-off 3.40pm GMT):
    (15-9): S Terblanche; A Trimble, I Whitten, P Wallace, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
    Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson, W Faloon, P Marshall, N Spence, A D'Arcy

Unavailable due to injury: Jared Payne (achilles), Declan Fitzpatrick (neck), Peter Nelson (knee), Darren Cave (foot)

Would really love to see them get the result here, and the place in the QF's their performances this season deserve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

15. Lee Byrne, 14. Sitiveni Sivivatu, 13. Aurélien Rougerie, 12. Wesley Fofana, 11. Julien Malzieu, 10. David Skrela, 9. Morgan Parra, 1. Lionel Faure, 2. Benjamin Kayser, 3. Clément Ric, 4. Julien Pierre, 5. Nathan Hines, 6. Gerhard Vosloo, 7. Julien Bardy, 8. Julien Bonnaire

16. Ti'i Paulo, 17. Vincent Debaty, 18. Daniel Kotze, 19. Jamie Cudmore, 20. Alexandre Lapandry, 21. Kevin Senio, 22. Brock James, 23. Regan King

That Clermont backline is pretty awesone but I think Ulster will have the edge in the front row.

Serious depth on the Clermont bench, Ulster have nothing like the options for replacements.

I don't see this ending well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

15. Lee Byrne, 14. Sitiveni Sivivatu, 13. Aurélien Rougerie, 12. Wesley Fofana, 11. Julien Malzieu, 10. David Skrela, 9. Morgan Parra, 1. Lionel Faure, 2. Benjamin Kayser, 3. Clément Ric, 4. Julien Pierre, 5. Nathan Hines, 6. Gerhard Vosloo, 7. Julien Bardy, 8. Julien Bonnaire

16. Ti'i Paulo, 17. Vincent Debaty, 18. Daniel Kotze, 19. Jamie Cudmore, 20. Alexandre Lapandry, 21. Kevin Senio, 22. Brock James, 23. Regan King

I've always startled by the sheer talent they have at their disposal when I see their 23's.

Back line literally jam-packed with talent; an in-form Sivivatu, one of the most dangerous winger's around in Malzieu and the effective Lee Byrne.

The physicality of the two centres is something else; but both of them are blessed with pace and handling ability as well.

Skrela is a competent game manager, who should orchestrate things effectively, and Parra is a classic French nine.

The pack are monstrous, and full of physical, dynamic players like Pierre, Bonnaire, Faure & Hines, and the strength from the bench with talent like Lapandry & King is just immense too.

No easy task ahead for Ulster. Hope they do it though. This has the potential to be an absolute cracker.

Really hope guys like Afoa, Best, Muller, Ferris, Trimble & Pienaar bring their A game, and that Chris Henry and the young backs continue their excellent form.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mouth watering prospect of the best match of the pool stages right there.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, Racing and London Irish are at least sending strong teams to Cardiff and Edinburgh on Sunday so hopefully even an Ulster defeat (as looks likely) won't be a total disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

This was never a game I thought Ulster would get anything from. Not getting a losing BP at Tigers may have undone us and we could have got one with a bit of luck however Ulster were not at their best that day.

The team that day had a few positions without our best players so it was a fairly creditable showing..
    (15-9): S Danielli; A Trimble, D Cave, N Spence, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
    (1-8): T Court, R Best, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
    Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, L Stevenson, W Faloon, I Porter, P Jackson, A D'Arcy

The arrival of Afoa and the return of Pienaar seems to have sparked a real upward curve in performance. If Ulster play well and don't get totally hoked, which is not an unusally fate for us in France, I'll be happy enough. The Amlin Losers Trophy will give us another game at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Looking at that Clermont team, its a real tough ask for any team to go over there and win. I think Ulsters best hope may be for a lbp and that Connacht help them out tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Skrela selected over Brock James. Skrela is a better kicker but James is very good at getting the backline moving. It might be a blessing for Ulster that Skrela is starting even if he is a better kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pynchy

looking back at the match last Friday... all I have to say is ... Ferris is an absolute beast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

This should be a cracker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

SUFTUM
    come on Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Omonious start for Ulster, savage atmosphere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm scared of that atmosphere even through the tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Ulster in serious trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

That's better. Ferris just nearly broke Rougerie in half.

Rougerie jumped there, that's why Ferris caught him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Super touch finder from Humphries!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tuohy in the bin.

That's the last thing Ulster need, especially with the way the scrum went just before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Clever from Parra/silly from Touhy - can't decide which!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

SomeFool wrote: »
    Clever from Parra/silly from Touhy - can't decide which!

Silly from Touhy. He went to tackle. If he'd just stayed where he was nothing would've been said.

Forward from Rougerie to Sivevatu there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Tackled in the air, definite offense

Jess16 wrote: »
    Tackled in the air, definite offense

I thought it was for taking out lifters but sure we'll take it. 3-3.

3-3

Hopefully Pienaar can keep form that up for the rest of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Ulster doing well.the first 20 were always gonna be the hardest so to keep them 3 all is great stuff.

Scrum needs to improve, front row taking a beating

Go on the Red Hand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster scrum (without Tuohy) is mangled. Should be 3 here for les Clermontois.

Parra gets it, 6-3.

Should have been a penalty for Ulster and a YC there for Sivevatu.

• Advertisement

Wallace!! Pass it!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement