Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show 20th January 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

His burning now anyway bye bye ya fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Michael Fassbender on tonight?
    Liz, He wasn't on the LLS but he is on the award circuit at the moment. He picked up an award at the London Film Critics' Circle Awards on Thursday evening.
    Fassbender wins British Actor award

Friday 20 January 2012

Michael Fassbender was honoured with the British Actor of the Year award at the London Film Critics' Circle Awards on Thursday night.

Fassbender - "I'm very humbled, especially the company [Tom Cullen, Brendan Gleeson, Peter Mullan, Gary Oldman] that I was in as well. It's very special"
    Fassbender won for his work in Shame and A Dangerous Method and said it was an honour to receive an award from the critics who "keep us on our toes".

"There's a passion obviously there within the critics. They have to watch a huge amount of films," he said.

"The films that they've chosen are all so diverse and you can see different flavours and tastes there and it's a big honour.

"I'm very humbled, especially the company [Tom Cullen, Brendan Gleeson, Peter Mullan, Gary Oldman] that I was in as well. It's very special."

The Artist was the big winner on the night, winning Film of the Year, Director of the Year (Michel Hazanavicius) and Actor of the Year (Jean Dujardin).

The award for Actress of the Year was shared by Anna Paquin for Margaret and Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady, with Streep's co-star Olivia Colman winning British Actress of the Year.

Belfast-born Kenneth Branagh was named Best Supporting Actor for My Week with Marilyn, with Sareh Bayat winning Best Supporting Actress for A Separation, which was Best Foreign Language Film.

The Attenborough Award: British Film of the Year was won by We Need to Talk About Kevin, with Senna named Best Documentary

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0120/fassbenderm2.html

For anybody who hasnt fallen asleep, Etta James has died..

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0120/jamese.html
    Skid wrote: »
    Very sad, she was a fine singer.

Connacht 9- Harlequins 8 in the Rugby. Great result.

:eek::eek::eek: Death announcements and sports results! Is this a new service we are offering on the LLS thread?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Death announcements and sports results! Is this a new service we are offering on the LLS thread?:D

MrsD, this thread is hanging by a thread. Jonathan and I are doing our best to add value, give people a reason to be here.

Tubridy is so bad, we have to offer the people what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Could be a winner. Was listening to a piece about local Irish radio doing daily death announcements, apparently listenership is 4 times than normal. :pac:

Actually Tubs might steal the idea for the LLS, some added misery.

• Advertisement

Liz, He wasn't on the LLS but he is on the award circuit at the moment. He picked up an award at the London Film Critics' Circle Awards on Thursday evening.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0120/fassbenderm2.html

:confused: Sorry im confused he is Irish from Killarney so how can he win a best british actor award?
    He is Irish not british, has he accepted this award?
    Cause if he has he is a traitor.

:confused: Sorry im confused he is Irish from Killarney so how can he win a best british actor award?
    Michael Fassbender was actually born in Heidelberg, to a German father and a Northern Irish mother. He grew up in Killarney though. As his mother was born in NI (UK) he would qualify, he is a little British. Sorry Jonjo :(

Could be a winner. Was listening to a piece about local Irish radio doing daily death announcements, apparently listenership is 4 times than normal. :pac:

Actually Tubs might steal the idea for the LLS, some added misery.
    Billy Connolly used to tell a story about a fella working in a radio station (in Limerick, I think). He used to read out all the deaths and at the end he would say "Well thank God, it's no one we know" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Brendan Gleeson was nominated in the same category this year. Fassbender has won that award before in 2008 for Hunger.:D

Some other traitors who claimed prizes over the years

Best British Director- Neil Jordan 1992 The Crying Game
    Best British Sceenwriter- Neil Jordan 1992 The Crying Game
    Best British Actor- Daniel Day Lewis(he changes from british to Irish when it suits some Irish fans) 1992 Last of the Mohicans
    Best British Sceenwriter- Roddy Doyle 1993 The Snapper
    British Newcomer of the year- Colin Farrell 2001 Tigerland
    Best British Actor- Brendan Gleeson 1998 The General

We might has well string up the entire Irish film industry.

Michael Fassbender was actually born in Heidelberg, to a German father and a Northern Irish mother. He grew up in Killarney though. As his mother was born in NI (UK) he would qualify, he is a little British. Sorry Jonjo :(

Well im sorry but im from the Kerry area and his parents have lived in the Killarney area for nay on 40 years, so first of all he is not British he is Irish and half German but there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation Germans living in the killarney area and they consider themselfs Irish, why didnt Fassbender get a German award because he is more entilled to that than some country he has never lived in or has any connection to.
    Can you answer that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Last night Tubridy asked the little girl if her friend in school "cheated on her homework"!?!
    Jesus, what is work with him? It is clearly obvious that kids scare the hell out of him because he is even more of nervous wreck around them than he usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Last night Tubridy asked the little girl if her friend in school "cheated on her homework"!?!
    Jesus, what is wrong with him? It is clearly obvious that kids scare the hell out of him because he is even more of nervous wreck around them than he usually is.

Well im sorry but im from the Kerry area and his parents have lived in the Killarney area for nay on 40 years, so first of all he is not British he is Irish and half German but there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation Germans living in the killarney area and they consider themselfs Irish, why didnt Fassbender get a German award because he is more entilled to that than some country he has never lived in or has any connection to.
    Can you answer that?

Jonjo, I'm aware that he and his family have lived in Kerry for years, he has spoken about that during his many TV appearances on RTE :) I'm not saying he is British but you asked how he qualified for this award and I reckon because his mother was from Northern Ireland the British are claiming him.

I suppose it is similar to the way we have English lads playing soccer for Ireland under the grandmother rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nomull27

On last nights episode of the Late Late Show Hilda Fay said:
    ... I might as well hang myself ...
    And she was only commenting on her pregnancies, her daughter and now to tough work it was singing, but it is a most disgusting comment and no doubt caused hurt to many people and should now should face the consequences. What made the event worst was she laughed her way through the remake, made no apology and didn't even seem to care what she said. And all the other girls laughed as well.

The Late Late Show RTÉ Player.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1132019

Go to 1:40:00

Quote:
    And she was only commenting on her pregnancies, her daughter and now to tough work it was singing, but it is a most disgusting comment and no doubt caused hurt to many people and should now should face the consequences. What made the event worst was she laughed her way through the remake, made no apology and didn't even seem to care what she said. And all the other girls laughed as well.

nomull27 wrote: »

Quote:

I heard Hilda last night and while I agree she could have choosen her words better (reference to hanging was very unfortunate) it was obvious that there was no intention to cause upset to anyone. She was merely stating that she is an emotional and hormonal wreck having given birth to a baby six weeks ago and she was glad to be returning to an upbeat role instead of some depressing Greek tragedy.

Lets face it most of us make careless throw away remarks from time to time, none of us are perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I heard her say it and I thought "uh oh"... But that's not because I was offended by what she said, but because the media pick up on these things... like Bertie's remark or the trouble Vincent Browne got in to his "pistol and bottle of Whiskey" comment about Enda Kenny..

But I think it's political correctness gone mad.. She made the remark with reference to herself, not anybody else, so there is no reason for anybody else to take offense..

I heard Hilda last night and while I agree she could have choosen her words better (reference to hanging was very unfortunate) it was obvious that there was no intention to cause upset to anyone. She was merely stating that she is an emotional and hormonal wreck having given birth to a baby six weeks ago and she was glad to be returning to an upbeat role instead of some depressing Greek tragedy.

Lets face it most of us make careless throw away remarks from time to time, none of us are perfect.

But I think it's political correctness gone mad.. She made the remark with reference to herself, not anybody else, so there is no reason for anybody else to take offense..

Oh so it's alright to joke about killing yourself!

Suicide is a very important issue and is unbelievably high in this country and should not be laughed at by thoughtless, self-absorbed idiots.

nomull27 wrote: »
    Oh so it's alright to joke about killing yourself!

Suicide is a very important issue and is unbelievably high in this country and should not be laughed at by thoughtless, self-absorbed idiots.
    Of course suicide is an extremely serious, we are all agreed on that but to be fair she made a stupid throwaway remark, it wasn't meant to be a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

kilns wrote: »
    Irish People are such begrudgers!

This guy has built the leading company in its field in the world in such a massive industry

He stays here pays his taxes where he could go and pay alot less.

He also supports other industries here, the money he has put into horse racing in ireland is unbelievable and has kept many employed in that sector down to him alone

if it werent for him, the likes of the people that say the hate him here would be going on their trips to germany, Spain, Italy etc as it would still cost a fortune like it did in the past!

Correct.

While he does play hard and fast with the facts re climate change and the nonsense about some english football club without him we would have been paying fortunes just to go to London for years. He revolutionised the whole industry.

Tubridy did ask about transatlantic travel but it got lost somewhere. Answer would have been interesting.

How it can be said he and Bono are traitors is truly astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

InisMor wrote: »
    Jesus, what is wrong with him? It is clearly obvious that kids scare the hell out of him because he is even more of nervous wreck around them than he usually is.

Funny, I actually thought Tubridy was excellent when speaking to the little girl - there was an ease, and a naturalness (if that's a word) about him that's mostly lacking when interviewing people on the LLS. I think he's good with kids - he honestly likes them & finds them interesting.

I find myself cringing at the LLS of late. The interviews are too quick - and even when one goes well - as it did with some guest on last week's show, Tubridy seems too keen to get it done and dusted and on to the next one. He seems ill at ease - but with the little girl, in my opinion, he seemed to forget about the tv-ishness (definitely not a word!), and focused on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Boards got a mention in the Irish Mail on Sunday today :D

It was in re: to Lorraine Keane pages 32+33

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭obi604

calex71 wrote: »

What page of Irish mail on Sunday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ally Dick wrote: »
    My wife used to work with Hilda Fay on the ferries when she was in her early twenties. She was a real stunner by all accounts. She looks "tired" now
    Check out Jacinta Whyte from the 1980s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bNRXNV_49Q

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

calex71 wrote: »

obi604 wrote: »
    What page of Irish mail on Sunday ?

Must try and get a copy of someone tomorrow, I cant find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Fair play to all those posters whose posts got a mention all relating to Lorraine's shoes and voice in the mail on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

deelite wrote: »
    Fair play to all those posters whose posts got a mention all relating to Lorraine's shoes and voice in the mail on sunday

dying of nosiness, could you please give me a quick brief on what was said please??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Lisha wrote: »
    dying of nosiness, could you please give me a quick brief on what was said please??

Or a scan of the page would be even better :D

Please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Curiosity got the better of me, I got the last copy in the shop.

I'll type out the relevant parts from the Mail on Sunday article now (I would be all night trying to scan it) ...

Advertisement