Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno XXIII - SSFIV:AEv2012 and UMvC3, Dublin 04/02/2012 Exchange, Temple Bar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

No
    Good points all around for Exchange VS Clarion.

Also it's cool that the Exchange lets us store stuff, but on that point it doesn't seem terribly secure. Those of us that went to get the equipment just walked in, grabbed what we wanted and walked out. Maybe if we were going to have a key for anything, it should be for the lock we should put on that cage.

Its the Clarence. :D

As for security, its more important that the place is insured - which afaik it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm extremely loathe to remove the Exchange from the picture.

We're rightfully angry at them right now but they give us free storage place, extremely cheap space, and some of them are highly cooperative.

Also, there's no risk with the Exchange- if 5 people show up, they get a fiver :D

That said, I have to say, Sat's Inferno was easily the most comfortable we've ever had, and also made recording so much easier for me.

I think a mix of the two might be a way to go (Maybe some form of super event once a quarter in a hotel or something).

I assume the bigger scenes elsewhere grew in the same way.

No
    I actually did a quick bit of internet browsing on this, the hotel right across from the exhange also has a room that might suit, and its a fair bit less according to their website. We'd need to check it out in person so see if it'd suit though.

The Paramount? They were one of the ones I went to on Sat. I got the managers name and number but he said it is unavailable for the next 10 weeks. It is alot cheaper at 65 quids but its not the Edge's gaff so, FAIL. :p

Cost is the biggest factor really. We are all terrible at committing to coming - or at least confirming we are beforehand (not talking the week of it - that would be too late!). That being said, its not always possible to know - for me anyway. Without a flexible cost, this could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

No
    I'm slightly bitter every time I walk past the Exchange on a day where we couldn't have a tournament due to being overbooked, only to see a crafts fair with zero attendees there instead.
    You might not be aware but this is far from the first time it's happened. It's just the most extreme example.

Meant to write as well that in this specific case, us having a key might not have allowed us entry either way if the locks were broken.

There wasn't any excuse for them to not contact Chopper once they knew there was a problem (whatever it was).

I totally think the TOs should have Exchange keys though.
    It would be a shame to be the cause of the exchange shutting down, but lets be fair, their attitude to the fighting game community is pretty terrible sometimes. For DoC there have been a few times where we ran late, and despite them not having an event booked after us, they were hounding us to get out. We give them a fair bit of money for being there, some flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

I think I've only seen some of this. At one DOC I remember: Voa refused to finish at the scheduled time, since it started 2 hours late due to hippies sleeping in, but they still thought it was fine to demand he do it anyway. I thought Hippies were supposed to be laid back =/

No
    I thought Hippies were supposed to be laid back =/

Name calling people we work with is probably not a good idea on a public forum....

• Advertisement

I have to say I always have sympathy for people wanting to leave on time.

When I was a retail manager, I had a special place in my own personal hell for people who came in 2 minutes before I closed the shutters (with all the cash counted). And that was my job, not a volunteer service.

That said, in all my time as a key holder I think I was late exactly twice. That's part of the responsibility of being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TheMightyTM

No
    GGs to everyone I played! I'll definitely try and make it to more tournaments/casuals in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No
    Azza wrote: »
    Also I vote for the next Inferno be pushed back 1 week so we can have SFxT at the next Inferno, if the dates aren't already locked down that is.

Agree, and I also have no love for the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

At one DOC I remember: Voa refused to finish at the scheduled time, since it started 2 hours late due to hippies sleeping in, but they still thought it was fine to demand he do it anyway./
    Nope, they misread the time on their sheet, thinking we'd booked till 6, not 8.
    A quick email show and double confirm later, and it was all sorted.
    I hold no bad blood to the exchange personally as a TO, they've always been apologetic when things go awry, and have always been super helpful to me.
    Some mileage may vary, however. I might be lucky and always be getting the understanding ones who want to help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

No
    Voa wrote: »
    I might be lucky and always be getting the understanding ones who want to help :D
    Naw, they just don't want to get on your bad side cause they get that feeling that you're the kind of guy who'd interrupt a Dan super taunt.
    Speed Boat wrote: »
    We didn't play...
    I am soooo sorry. It's as Doom said, I confused you for Stevo ._.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

Wasn't there; looked fun; vids were nice; GGs.

Just throwin in a vote for normal inferno date. No point in havin a day1 Gemfest, wouldn't travel for that and don't wanna miss some sf4 that month either.

No
    I'd be against moving inferno as well. Could always be played the month after - so peeps might have practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No
    We are in the process of making arrangements so we'll have a key to open up ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

No
    I don't mind when the next Inferno is but please please please let there be a tag-team SFxT tourney when it's out. That'd be so rad.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

As I was saying to Cobels on IRC, when I said we shoudl have SFxT at the next Inferno, I mean't as a second tournament along with AE, not in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I didn't go as I had football on saturday but I wouldn't be opposed to having a look at new venues. The exhchange is good but there is no harm in alternatives.

The exchange is great for location, space and storage.... but the key thing would bother me, I hate the way random people just walk in, and it's not nice having people ogle you as they walk past.

That hotel space looked excellent and it seems everyone enjoyed this weeks Inferno immensely. Cost would obviously be an issue I suppose but a smaller prize pool wouldn't both 95% of the people who attend so this seems like something that could be worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

No
    Kirby wrote: »
    I hate the way random people just walk in, and it's not nice having people ogle you as they walk past.

On the point of people ogling as they walk by, the Exchange apparently has big-assed fabric sheets they have currently over the windows to prevent people from seeing (I assume) super secret art exhibitions from the street. I'm sure we can use these if it doesn't make the place too dark.

For random people walking in though, I'm not sure there's a viable solution for the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

On the point of people ogling as they walk by, the Exchange apparently has big-assed fabric sheets they have currently over the windows to prevent people from seeing (I assume) super secret art exhibitions from the street. I'm sure we can use these if it doesn't make the place too dark.

For random people walking in though, I'm not sure there's a viable solution for the venue.

Can't we lock it once the tourney gets going? leave the key in the door so people can go to the shops etc.

It might seem extreme but I don't want to see people get their stuff nicked or a problem if we need to get somebody to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

No
    We can't lock the door based on the current way the venue donation works(based on our attendees usually).

We have to pay a set rental fee to do that(more expensive and something the exchange aren't keen on if I recall).

No
    I dont like the big windows either. Cant even be a nerd in peace without cool people pointing and laughing at you :(

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure we blanked out the windows for the first couple of events? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm pretty sure we blanked out the windows for the first couple of events? No?

Don't think so. Mayhaps you are thinking of Space 54.

Personnally I like the venue being more open. I rather have the chance of someone gaining an interest then to shut it off completely. Between the XGC and the Exchange we have seen a few people show genuine interest (Granted very small numbers and nothing has come of it).

I mean in the three years we've been doing this there's been one incident I can recall where it felt a bit sketchy (Shout-outs to Fifa players :pac:)

No
    what is it about gamers where they like dark corners? is the idea of a community not to be inclusive?

I cant recall having an issue with anyone @ the exchange that couldnt be solved by simply speaking to the person.

i still support no white tracksuits!

No
    I remember the big white sheets covering the windows at least once. Its really off putting seeing some ejit in the corner of your eye when your trying to play a match. The worst ive seen is a dude pulling a mooney.

No
    bush wrote: »
    I remember the big white sheets covering the windows at least once. Its really off putting seeing some ejit in the corner of your eye when your trying to play a match. The worst ive seen is a dude pulling a mooney.

see ur point. could prob arrange the tables differently so ur not being gauked at? sheets might make it darker and more lights means hotter location - apart from the glorious smell that might generate, not good for the equipment, especially xboxi.

No
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    see ur point. could prob arrange the tables differently so ur not being gauked at? sheets might make it darker and more lights means hotter location - apart from the glorious smell that might generate, not good for the equipment, especially xboxi.

Ye up against the wall at the other side would be fine. Having a busy street in the background isnt the best.

Orim wrote: »
    Don't think so. Mayhaps you are thinking of Space 54.

Personnally I like the venue being more open. I rather have the chance of someone gaining an interest then to shut it off completely. Between the XGC and the Exchange we have seen a few people show genuine interest (Granted very small numbers and nothing has come of it).

I mean in the three years we've been doing this there's been one incident I can recall where it felt a bit sketchy (Shout-outs to Fifa players :pac:)

Ah there's been more than that in the XGC. There's been quite a few times I surrupticiously sidled right beside someone who was paying a little too much attention to the sticks or bags.

This doesn't really apply in the Exchange though, especially since most people leave their stuff behind whereever I set up shop now.
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    what is it about gamers where they like dark corners? is the idea of a community not to be inclusive?

I cant recall having an issue with anyone @ the exchange that couldnt be solved by simply speaking to the person.

i still support no white tracksuits!

I said it before and I agree, I don't think demonising the Exchange helps. They fecked up, it happens, I liked the Clarence and I'd love to have more tournaments in that environment but I don't see once a month being realistic.
    bush wrote: »

Yeah I was sure of that too.

I don't really mind the eejits outside in general but it's not fair if they distract someone at a clutch moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The problem is that all the sockets are over by the wall at the window, which is why we've had to stick to over by the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

No
    If we carefully run cables (something which we could be doing better anyway) we could definitely work out a better set up in the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mscupcakes

No
    Why not take advantage of it by trying to get more people's attention and charge them to come in and watch? You won't get a load of people coming in but an extra fiver here and there couldn't hurt.

Advertisement