Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City V Spurs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I thought Livermore did well for VDV pienaar wasn't great though

Livermore wont make it with us , he's another Jamie o hara

when it went 2-2 , redknapp should have went for it instead of bringing on Livermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Livermore should have started imo. Silva was getting waaay too much time and space on the ball until Livermore came on, and he did an excellent job when he did come on. Harry was never going to drop vdV for him though. Missed Sandro big time today, then again City were missing a few too. Agree with the verdict on Pienaar, offered nothing, can only assume Lennon had some sort of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The outcome was on a knife edge. If Defoe had anything left in the tank we'd be celebrating a 3-2 victory right now and waxing lyrical about what a comeback from title contenders Spurs. Lets not get too down....

Two lessons learned:

1. BAE remains a liability, he loses his head in big games too often. Two minutes to go and instead if taking a throw in he long balls it to the opposition, one pass and they're in for a penalty. Shocker...

2. King can't last 90mins, he was wrecked on 80mins when he sliced a clearance.

I though Livermore played well when he came on. But why bring on Pienaar, surely Defoe or King should have been given a breather? It's just a shame we didn't have a €30m striker fresh off the bench to score the winner i.e. Stampotelli :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kold wrote: »
    Bringing Livermore and Pienaar on for Lennon and VdV was retarded. Game was up for grabs and Harry makes sure we have no way of pressing an attack. Why does he never take Modric off when he's doing nothing?

Just bad imo.

Also, Scumbagliotelli.

Modric always has the potential to make something happen though

Livermore was a mistake

BERBA wrote: »
    Livermore wont make it with us , he's another Jamie o hara

when it went 2-2 , redknapp should have went for it instead of bringing on Livermore.

Disagree, we had far more shape when Livermore came on. Vdv was taken off because he had nothing in the tank to chase back. Livermore allowed Modric and Bale to concentrate on getting forward.

Should have brought Pav on for the last ten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not sure whether to dedicate this to Webb or Balotelli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I though Livermore played well when he came on. But why bring on Pienaar, surely Defoe or King should have been given a breather? It's just a shame we didn't have a €30m striker fresh off the bench to score the winner i.e. Stampotelli :mad:

If we had a 30m striker he'd have started and Defoe would have assumed his best role ie coming off the bench with 20 mins to go.

Bit of a sickner today but games between the top 4 are usually rollercoaster affairs. We're a good team and we'll bouce back from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Not a fan of all the hatred towards benny, after watching Defoe miss I was roaring them to go for another, when it happened I thought personally it was a smart move I know inevitably he should have played for the draw but we would have sung his praise if it had of gotten onto bale Defoe etc... And we scored. He's been unreal this season and again I wouldn't take many left fulls ahead of him.

Blame if anything should be on king for a poor tackle or Harry for not giving king a much needed break, hes been out for 5 games, he should have played 70 mins max!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

I defend BAE all day every day, but he hasnt been as good this year as last. Last year he was phenomenal. This year, while better than the dumbass that his detractors think of him, he has been sloppy. Getting caught on the ball more etc.

Disappointed to end they way it did obviously. CIty are going to be tough to catch now, not impossible. Think we are a clear third in the league and we'll get through arguably the toughest weekend of the season without damage vs Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool. Shame about Defoe and while its like having had an each way bet on a 20/1 shot beaten a short head, I think it has been a relatively good weekend for us. A bit of luck and we arent quite out of the title race yet, but I still think that anything more than a CL place is a huge bonus. Expectations can increase next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Only consolation for us is that we still 10 points clear of 5th place goons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

mickman wrote: »
    Modric always has the potential to make something happen though

Livermore was a mistake

I don't know if I agree with that. VdV always has a chance of screaming one in. I think you can tell from the first 10 minutes if Modric is going to have a good game.

Livermore doesn't really offer anything going forward, VdV does and Pienaar has had bollocks all game time, I probably would've seen Krancjar as a better option. Surely Pav deserved 5/10 minutes? Harry could at least pretend he has ambition.

We've usually fallen apart at this stage of the season and the fact that we're where we are displays how strong our squad has gotten in depth but I think we need to spend the money on a 20 a season striker. Ade is having a poor time of it, Defoe is just ineffective on his own and Pav is Pav.

I think we need to spend the money on a 20 a season striker.

The only difference between us and the two Manchester clubs. If Pav isn't worth ten minutes then he needs to be replaced.

Get the cheque book out Levy!

Cheeky bid for Van Persie???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Heart breaking stuff today,the response from Spurs after going 2-0 down was excellent. I thought we would win it the way we played for the rest of the second half but how it turned out was sickening.Kabule and Parker were brilliant for us today,great effort from all the team.

Just saw Harrys interview- he was livid

Left the interview very quick , said very little

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can't remember a time when i felt worse about a game than i do right now. Almost threw a bottle through my tv when the penalty was given. No doubt about it, but sickening after we almost got the 3rd. Still, at least we gave them a game, and at the Etihad, that's saying something.

I actually didn't think Balotelli should have been sent off at first. Looked accidental to me, but on later viewings i'm not so sure. The movement of his foot is totally wrong for trying to steady himself. If he had gotten his foot on the ground he did would have fallen quicker, not steadied himself. Benny also ****ed up big time by not letting the ball go out. Can only guess he wanted us to go an win it, which is admirable, but not very smart.

Overall, we did well to come back from 0-2, but the two goals were poor. We really suck at set piece defending at times. As above, we need a quality striker. If we can't rely on someone up front to knock in the chances, we're not going to improve.

At least they are out of the way, and we should have an easy win at Wigan next week.
    That's as angry as i've seen him tbh. Almost twicthing and rocking back and forth.

I dont think I know the striker that we need - that is affordable, available - but Im beginning to think that Rodellega would be a viable option for this transfer window. He is a bit smaller than ideal but causes a lot of hassle for defenders (including ours) last year. I dont think he is the solution we need long term, but I think he can improve us up top for the time being.

Kiith wrote: »
    Overall, we did well to come back from 0-2, but the two goals were poor. We really suck at set piece defending at times. As above, we need a quality striker. If we can't rely on someone up front to knock in the chances, we're not going to improve.

We also dont score enough from set-pieces. Need a touch more muscle in the team.

Morgans wrote: »
    Kiith wrote: »

We also dont score enough from set-pieces. Need a touch more muscle in the team.[/

City look extremely dangerous from set pieces

Lescott shud also have been red carded .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Still gutted, we did not get what we deserved in the end. But man am I proud to be a Spurs fan, these guys are never beaten easily these days and I love watching them play. COYS!!!!!!

Left the interview very quick , said very little

Would you blame him ? The thug was already on a yellow and that stamp was a disgrace!

A ban won't get us the point back.

Never thought I'd be saying this but I'll be shouting for Man U to win the league after today!

First the Stoke fiasco and now this!

Fuming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Absolutely gutted after that match. Looking at defo's run up to that miss I was shouting at the tv for him to go quicker, he either held back too much and messed up the run or he ran out of legs, either way it was a bad miss although he took his goal well.
    Balotelli and Lescott are lucky to have stayed on the pitch, a dirty stamp and a dirty elbow. I think we should really have went for the jugular after the 2nd goal but 5mins after the restart the team let the momentum fizzle out. If you get back to 2-2 after being 2-0 down you really have to use the pyschological momentum to go on and win it.
    Also the difference in set pieces between the 2 teams today was really worrying. Do we not practise corners in training? Almost every corner was a short corner that ended creating nothing!
    Final point.... we absolutley need to get a world class striker on the books, a consistent one. Imagine us with a Van Persie!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think he was dead on his legs at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That was probably the case alright. I think Harry could have used his subs better. King should have been given a breather after 70/80mins replaced with Dawson (considering he hadn't trained in 4 weeks) and I think Pavlyuchenko should have come on for VDV. Game would have worked out better then I think and we could have gone home with at least a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

proud of every player today

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

BAE was not good at times, but I don't have a massive problem with the last clearance. It got the ball right up the pitch, and Clichy's smack at the ball was hopeful, it just caught our CB's off guard. One of those things. Webb is a muppett, and if you think of it, we have been outplayed over 90 mins only once since the team settled. That was at Fulham, and we won.
    Today, we looked more likely to win it, and had the courage to do that. I was unimpressed with VDV. Modric wasn't that good, looks in need of a rest, and should get it next week. Livermore wasn't a bad shout, and I thought Pienaar did well, pinched a couple of balls. Defoe was knackered at the end, and it might have been worth bringing Pav on for the last 5. He should now be sold ASAP and get in someone Redknapp trusts.
    Watching the 2 games, I think we now have a team and squad that is ready to win the title. It won't be this season unless Citeh blow up, but Manyoo don't have a midfield. Sandro or Thudd would walk in to their team. Spend now, get in Cavani or Daemiao and go for it.

John Giles mentioned earlier that Defoe had pulled up with cramp a few mins beforehand, so if so, no fault to the guy for giving it everything to try to get there.

And I'd say King is sickened this evening because a rash challenge like he did on the thug isn't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Still Gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Still Gutted :(

Same as. Dont think ive ever been as disapointed with a result in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

2 nil down and i thought i could see Famous Spurs collapse of a few years ago but we fought back and fought back well. I was disappointed but still proud at full time.

It shows us we are a Silva and Ageuro away from being a really really top team and hopefully the board will get us a word class striker in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

oppiuy wrote: »
    2 nil down and i thought i could see Famous Spurs collapse of a few years ago but we fought back and fought back well. I was disappointed but still proud at full time.

It shows us we are a Silva and Ageuro away from being a really really top team and hopefully the board will get us a word class striker in the summer

Who needs Silva and Ageuro when we have bale and luka :)

One world class forward and we go from being league contenders to league winners IMO !

Advertisement