Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could render medication ineffective?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

As posted elsewhere, I've a fungus problem in my 180l community tank that's already cost me a dwarf gourami, 3 guppies and 5/6 neon tetras (and I think it's about to cost me a second dwarf gourami).

I took the carbon sponges out of both of my filters (internal and external) and whilst I'm currently in the middle of a course of Protozin, I'm doubtful as to it working.

Despite normal water test readings (0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, PH of 7.5, Nitrates < 5), The tank has been getting more than regular water changes (20-30% twice a week since the problem was noticed using Seachem Prime to de-chlorinate the tap water) and I've already run through two courses of eSHa 2000 and one course of Myxazin with no success.

I'm starting to wonder if something other than the carbon sponges could be filtering out the medication? In the tank I've two large pieces of mopani wood in the tank,an amazon sword, two other types of plant (unsure of type) and two variations of floating plants along with a standard gravel substrate.

Any ideas? I'm close to the point of euthanising the remaining 8 tetras and the gourami that's on his way out in the hope of saving the two remaining dwarf gourami, the last standing guppy, the dwarf pleco and my two clown loach. A move that brutal really has to be a last resort though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I've had positive experience with JBL Fungol, but only when the issue was in it's infancy. You are a long way down the road by the sound of it, if I was you I'd be getting my hands on a quarantine tank and trying to stop my currently healthy fish from picking up the problem rather than treating them all in the same tank.

Is that an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Only think I have to hand is a 15l tank which hasn't been cycled so I don't think it's really an option?

I would almost say that a piece of your existing media would be ok, just to give the smaller tank filtration and if you treat the quarantine tank immediately it's better than leaving the fish in your existing tank and treating?

If nothing else, it hopefully prevents your currently healthy fish from getting sick while at the same time the situation for the sick fish doesn't get worse.

Went with that option. Filled the 15l tank by siphoning water from the main tank into it, gave the filter media from the large tank a rinse in the 15l and left the undergravel filter in it run for half an hour or so before transferring the tetras.

Trying to catch the tetras with the net was infuriating!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sleepy, have you tried Waterlife Protozin? I've not used it myself, but I've heard it's successful with fungus.

Prime and other water conditioners can stop esha from being effective, esha recommend you do not use any water conditioners at all when using it.

• Advertisement

Protozin is exactly what I'm treating with at the moment Silverfish.

I must've missed the bit in the eSHa manual about not using water conditioners... how else would I prevent the Chloramine from harming the fish?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sleepy wrote: »
    Protozin is exactly what I'm treating with at the moment Silverfish.

I must've missed the bit in the eSHa manual about not using water conditioners... how else would I prevent the Chloramine from harming the fish?

Mystery to me as well, here on their advice section they recommend
    If your water contains chlorine, you can remove this easily, by aerating the water for 24 hours with an air pump, by using a shower head or watering can when changing water or by filtering the water once over fresh active carbon before adding it to the aquarium.

They don't really mention chloramine / chlorosamine and various metals and whatever, and they are not removed with aeration. I've used unconditioned water when treating with esha, and I suppose the meds with counteract any of the bad stuff in the water.

Hope the Protozin works out, it's supposed to be good stuff.

Glad to hear you gave it a go, hopefully it will keep your healthy fish from picking up the fungus.

When I was treating it I just made sure there was plenty of aeration in the water using my filter quite close to the surface which seemed to help.

Wish you luck with treating! I find with smaller fish like tetras it can be handier to catch them in a pint glass or similar and move them, water and all.

Might give the pint glass a shot next time Draupnir, definitely couldn't go any worse!

I know exactly where you are coming from, I came up with the pint glass after chasing three rasboras round a 55 litre tank for 25 minutes with a net. Finally caught one and he lept out en route to my second tank!

• Advertisement

Any improvements or developments Sleepy?

Not going well, only 3 of the tetra left and I'm not confident they'll last either since I've lost 5 of them in the last two days.

I'm doing regular water changes on the hospital tank but tbh, I'm lost any faith in it them getting better.

Sorry to hear that. On the upside, this bit of experience will have you ready for the earliest sign of any future health problems.

Keep that hospital tank handy and buy some extra, spare filter media. I have a box in my supplies box, so if I need a hospital tank I can take a chunk of sponge from my established filter and pop it into a smaller filter I also have spare for hospital purposes, it means your hospital tank has a fully cycled filter in place.

Throw some fresh filter media into your established filter and it keeps it at max capacity.

Good idea draupnir. Have a few spare small filters from old tanks that I can do that with.

Advertisement