Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord pps!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    How would you know where they got the information?

The OP asked could it be done and the answer is yes. How you prove they tracked you down is actually more difficult. People want to bang on how this is illegal to obtian the information but unprovable thus not much help.

A lot of the ways they catch employees looking information they shouldn't is on the live systems which have audit trails. Most place have test and training systems that have generic users. Which effectively mean they don't have audit trails. Others have direct acces to the DBs which means a simply query without any audit trail. You would need to know their contac and also how they looked up the information.

Theoretically I would imagine the first step would be having the gardas take all that yummy data boards.ie will have recorded about a landlord who bragged about breaking the law on their forums, once they figure out who that landlords tenants are/were then the audit trail for who accessed their data in revenue or wherever is usually fairly straightforward. Once they have the culprit.. happy ending for society :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Bambi wrote: »
    Theoretically I would imagine the first step would be having the gardas take all that yummy data boards.ie will have recorded about a landlord who bragged about breaking the law on their forums, once they figure out who that landlords tenants are/were then the audit trail for who accessed their data in revenue or wherever is usually fairly straightforward. Once they have the culprit.. happy ending for society :)
    That is even funnier. Who do you think is going to spend their time getting court orders to track people down based on a claim on the internet?

If you look back you will also see I stated I can not that I did :cool:

Never bragged about commiting a crime just said it was possible. Wonder which of the many source that this data can be kept are they going to check and the connection to me or others. Histerically funny and absent of actual thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

That is totally illegal and threatening behaviour. It's also BS!

So the landlord is just going to call up Social welfare or revenue and demand contact details from them by quoting your pps?

I suppose they have a special "Landlord hunting rent evader" Hotline for this. :rolleyes:

Tell him to F*** off or you will report him.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think anyone was suggesting they could get the information a legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

How would you know where they got the information?

The OP asked could it be done and the answer is yes. How you prove they tracked you down is actually more difficult. People want to bang on how this is illegal to obtian the information but unprovable thus not much help.

A lot of the ways they catch employees looking information they shouldn't is on the live systems which have audit trails. Most place have test and training systems that have generic users. Which effectively mean they don't have audit trails. Others have direct acces to the DBs which means a simply query without any audit trail. You would need to know their contac and also how they looked up the information.

Possibly get the guards to question them because they are "harassing me" at my home/place of work and hope they crack under pressure and give up their friend.

Turn around and ask for compensation for invasion of privacy and emotional distress / state employee loses their job.

Have the last laugh.

Seriously though, having been hit, bruised, fallen down and been hurt in businesses I have never even considered sueing anybody but if someone illegally obtained any of my information from the revenue or any other state agency I would crucify them as much as possible through the courts and the ombudsmen and I wouldn't stop until I had done them as much as I possibly could so you would want to be careful how you use any information you get on someone.

• Advertisement

shangri la wrote: »
    Possibly get the guards to question them because they are "harassing me" at my home/place of work and hope they crack under pressure and give up their friend.

Turn around and ask for compensation for invasion of privacy and emotional distress / state employee loses their job.

Have the last laugh.
    If he harrases him. If the guards get involved (they won't). If he cracks

Living in a dream world about what is likely to happen. All the op has stated is the LL said they would be able to find him. The answer to this is yes he can. LL never threatened to harrase him just that he could find him and would pursue him. Other people have said this is harrasement I don't think it is. Contacting somebody about unpaid rent isn't harrasment. LL has not claimed they will do anything more

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

I'm not a student but when I moved in I remember him telling me that he needed to use a students name to say they were 'living' in the apt with me to make it within his rules etc.

If he has put down anyone but you as the tenant he cannot go to any government body as he's illegally declared the tenant to the government. The PPS threat is just that, a threat. He can't use that against you in anyway. Go to the PRTB yourself and log a complaint, explain the situation to them and get your record registered with them, then tell him you have done so. From then on he has to go through the PRTB as the issue is in arbitration.

If you have issues like this dont wait and see before going to the PRTB just go. 90% of these sort of cases are dropped before anything comes back from the PRTB. Unless the landlords complaint is valid then well should have paid your rent.

You know what OP, I don't agree with running out on rent owed, lost dockets and the other bullsh1t you mentioned.

You owe money, simple as that.

He can easily get your information (illegally) but the flip side of that coin is that if he does not have you registered with the PRTB/paid tax on the rent that puts you in a bargaining position so drop all the lost lodgment slips bollocks and make a compromise with him and move on.

If he harrases him. If the guards get involved (they won't). If he cracks

A lot of people that would obtain this info would be someone with a cousin/brother working in the social department ect that would have heard them brag in the pub they can find anyone and wouldnt know how much trouble they can find themselves and their friend in and would drop the goods at the first sign of a garda calling to the door.

If you claim someone is harassing you at your home/place of work the guards will make an appearance which is all it might take.

A lot of people that would obtain this info would be someone with a cousin/brother working in the social department ect that would have heard them brag in the pub they can find anyone and wouldnt know how much trouble they can find themselves and their friend in and would drop the goods at the first sign of a garda calling to the door.

If you claim someone is harassing you at your home/place of work the guards will make an appearance which is all it might take.

LOL
    Becasue the Guards really will put in hours of investigation to find somebody who will stand up in a witness block saying how the LL bragged about getting the information.

Guards usually don't get involved in civil matters and are extremely unlikely to go looking for a LL for contacting somebody at their job for not paying rent.

Seriously gus have a bit of copon about what is likely and not what is possible.

• Advertisement

LOL
    Becasue the Guards really will put in hours of investigation to find somebody who will stand up in a witness block saying how the LL bragged about getting the information.

Guards usually don't get involved in civil matters and are extremely unlikely to go looking for a LL for contacting somebody at their job for not paying rent.

Seriously gus have a bit of copon about what is likely and not what is possible.

I have a feeling some day you are going to find out if that is true.

ROFL
    The assumptions are hysterical.
    Lets be clear I have never harrased anybody in my life and I have never got somebody to look up information for me illegally or otherwise.

Just pointed out it is easily within the capabilities of many people. People are dreaming if they think it is easy to get caught if you do gather such information. I have had complete access to national DBs and many can easily be circumvented on audit trails by many users and even with the audits you really have to know what you are looking for.

Are you saying that should someone get a persons new address/place of work/tax details there is no recourse to finding out how they got these details?

I would assume my solicitor could make someone give a statement to the guards if I said they harrased me at my home and demanded to know how they got my address.

I know of an IT consultant that was fired from the guards for accessing the pulse system and gossiping in the pub. As far as I know he can't work in a state organisation again.

There are also criminal implications I am unaware of.

I will leave it at this, it would be difficult to prove but if someone wants to risk their state job/pension let them roll the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ROFL
    The assumptions are hysterical.
    Lets be clear I have never harrased anybody in my life and I have never got somebody to look up information for me illegally or otherwise.

Just pointed out it is easily within the capabilities of many people. People are dreaming if they think it is easy to get caught if you do gather such information. I have had complete access to national DBs and many can easily be circumvented on audit trails by many users and even with the audits you really have to know what you are looking for.

You'll have to forgive me if I dont find that credible. Your posts consisted of how easy it is to illegally track people down without getting caught.

Are you saying that should someone get a persons new address/place of work/tax details there is no recourse to finding out how they got these details?
    I am saying it is next to impossible to prove where the information came from. Simply saying a friend spotted him, they left a payslip behind or a letter covers it.

I leave it with unless you work with this information you are under the false impression it is very secure from abuse. Those of us who have dealt with it know much better.

I assure you it is done and people don't get caught, those that do get caught tend to be a bit on the dim side or very low on the access level.

Advertisement