Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capping of Lab reports

Options
  • 20-01-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Like the title says I'm wondering if anyone in science knows anything about capped lab report grades. I know it happens, and I know they generally choose the figure 7.8/78% and cap everyones results there but I don't understand why?! What in the world is the point of making it so it is absolutely impossible to get a couple of percent when that couple of percent could be the difference between a pass and a fail? If it's to show us that our lab reports are never perfect why not just mark them harder and leave it at least open to attempt to achieve? It makes no logical sense to me and it could be the difference between an A and A- in one of my modules.

Does anyone know the "official" reason for doing this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Anything graded as an A+ has a calculation point of 78.33%. And A as 75% etc.

Google for UCD modular grades for the PDF that explains it.

And yeah, it's a load of crap. If a module was 50% grade based continuous assessment there is a significant amount of marks that are unattainable!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I noticed this this semester too.. What a load of shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

It seems more than a little ridiculous to me. I emailed the module coordinator involved and he explained it admitting that it was clear as mud and the whole thing didn't make all that much sense. Apparently it happens in every module, his was just the unfortunate one that displayed a percentage grade and not a letter one. I can see how it's done but it's still stupid. It essentially means that the person who got 97 percent on the component is getting identical recognition to the person who scraped the seventy which seems more than a little backwards to me, that's a big gap! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It'll work fine as long as ALL components of the module are graded using the component grade scale. Remember that as far as your GPA is concerned anyway there's no difference between 95% and 90%. To avoid confusion, they should only be grading (not marking) lab reports if the lab component is a graded component.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Red Alert wrote: »
    It'll work fine as long as ALL components of the module are graded using the component grade scale. Remember that as far as your GPA is concerned anyway there's no difference between 95% and 90%. To avoid confusion, they should only be grading (not marking) lab reports if the lab component is a graded component.

That's where the problem came in. They marked our lab reports in this particular module and then turned it into a graded component. As far as we were concerned we'd just lost 16-18% of our grade. Mass confusion. Seems to be sorted now though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement