Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Engineering in New Zealand

• 20-01-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me what the Civil Engineering prospects are like in New Zealand at the minute? I know that there is suppose to be plenty of work in Cristchurch but whats the rest of the country like.

I'm thinking of heading over when I graduate from college in June and I'm wondering would I pick up work handy enough. I will have around one years experience. Does anyone have a rough idea what kind of money I would hope to earn.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 keaneray

Hey Memaul,

Engineers will always be in high demand in NZ and OZ. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer (DIT) and have lived in Auckland the last two year. Managed to secure a three year working visa after being in the country with a one year working holiday visa. Most engineering principles are on the 'Long Term Skill Shortage List' found here : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/residencefromwork/howtoapply/stepsforlongtermskillshortage/.

You'll find Civil is there under engineering. Best plan is to come over here on a one year working holiday visa and see if you like it. I would recommend coming to Auckland initially. The Christchurch rebuild hasnt started yet and might take another 12 months to begin. There is only demolition work at the moment. Insurance companies have to payout before the major work starts. If there are more quakes this may be delayed further. Auckland has the biggest popoulation in NZ (1.6million) so has engineering jobs on offer. Check out http://www.seek.co.nz/ to get a feel for what jobs are on offer and the salary that come with.

Hope this helps.

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭memaul

keaneray wrote: »
    Hey Memaul,

Engineers will always be in high demand in NZ and OZ. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer (DIT) and have lived in Auckland the last two year. Managed to secure a three year working visa after being in the country with a one year working holiday visa. Most engineering principles are on the 'Long Term Skill Shortage List' found here : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/residencefromwork/howtoapply/stepsforlongtermskillshortage/.

You'll find Civil is there under engineering. Best plan is to come over here on a one year working holiday visa and see if you like it. I would recommend coming to Auckland initially. The Christchurch rebuild hasnt started yet and might take another 12 months to begin. There is only demolition work at the moment. Insurance companies have to payout before the major work starts. If there are more quakes this may be delayed further. Auckland has the biggest popoulation in NZ (1.6million) so has engineering jobs on offer. Check out http://www.seek.co.nz/ to get a feel for what jobs are on offer and the salary that come with.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Thanks a million for the reply Ray,

We are pretty much planning exactly what you said. I didnt think New Zealand was an option for us until I heard about the IEP visa. My girlfriend is over 30 and this visa is the same as the WHV except you can get it up until you turn 35. It also costs around 7 times the WHV.

We would be planning on going anywhere except Christchurch for the time being. It wouldn't bother me but the girlfriend isn't too keen with the after shocks and all. Does there be much construction work happening in Auckland?

Its a good few years since we passed through New Zealand but I remember at the time that the wages wern't the best. I'm just wondering how are they now, and how do they compare with the cost of living?

Thanks very much for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

memaul wrote: »
    Its a good few years since we passed through New Zealand but I remember at the time that the wages wern't the best. I'm just wondering how are they now, and how do they compare with the cost of living?

Thanks very much for the info

Wages are not fantastic unless in oil and gas. Cost of living is rising faster than wages also. After taxes etc I get more than the equiv salary at home though and less stupid taxes on everything too. Everything is still cheaper than home when you take relative income into account also.

Taranaki is booming for Oil and Gas, should be an option for Civ too considering the amount of plant building being done, worth having a look.
    My Fiance found a really good engineering based recruitment agency when looking for a job here, I'll get the name and stick it up for you.

Wages are not fantastic unless in oil and gas. Cost of living is rising faster than wages also. After taxes etc I get more than the equiv salary at home though and less stupid taxes on everything too. Everything is still cheaper than home when you take relative income into account also.

Taranaki is booming for Oil and Gas, should be an option for Civ too considering the amount of plant building being done, worth having a look.
    My Fiance found a really good engineering based recruitment agency when looking for a job here, I'll get the name and stick it up for you.

Lovely, thanks very much cookie. There seems to be a lot of civil eng jobs advertised on seek throughout New Zealand, which is great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.roblawmax.co.nz/

Based in Wellington, really decent people, we spoke with them a couple of times and they got Mrs Cookie_Monster a job in two weeks! Maybe civil won't be so hot as process but worth a shot :)

• Advertisement

Thanks cookie,

Wellington is another place we would be thinking of. Gonna check out that recruitment agency.

Thanks again

http://www.roblawmax.co.nz/

Based in Wellington, really decent people, we spoke with them a couple of times and they got Mrs Cookie_Monster a job in two weeks! Maybe civil won't be so hot as process but worth a shot :)

just had a look at their website cookie and they have lots of civil jobs, nice one, cheers.

Advertisement