Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I plant a tree (not in my garden)

Options
  • 20-01-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

really don't know where to post this!

I have an anniversary coming up next week, and want to mark by planting a tree (what would have been the due date for my little girl - I have no grave for her)

I don't want to plant it in my garden, because it's small and I will not be in this house forever.

Wherever I plant it, I want to be able to visit it, know it's my tree, and watch it grow.

Is there anywhere I can do this? I doubt I can just plant a tree on public property! I've looked at the Family Tree Schemes, but the locations are so far from home, only happen on certain dates, and I can't just visit the tree when I want. They plant the tree for you and just post you a number - you then go and find your tree, so it's all a bit detached.

I know it's an odd one, but I'd love to hear from anyone in the know or hear of any suggestions.

Regards

B.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

give linda in the native woodland trust a bell on 086 8169924; they have a few sites which are open to the public and are being planted with trees with the intention of them turning into woodland, so the tree would be safe.
    i don't know where in the country you're based, so they may not have a site local to you, but it's worth checking out. also, do you already have the tree? the trees on the sites would be trees native to ireland, but i suspect they'd be able to supply one for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bunty2008

Thank you so much. That sounds amazing. I'm in Dublin near to city centre, but I would just like to know that this tree will be left to grow and flourish and that I can visit it. Do you think I can call her on a Saturday? I have not bought a tree yet. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

You could also try the tree council of Ireland http://www.treecouncil.ie/ they may be able to help. Its a great idea and a very special way of remembering someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Check out national tree week which is coming up soon ...
    http://www.treecouncil.ie/treeweek/treeweek.html

Here is the list of events for Dublin ...
    http://www.treecouncil.ie/treeweek/programme2012.html#dublin

I'm sure if you dropped them a line they could accomodate you. Nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bunty2008

Magicbastarder, Just coming back to you to let you know that I spoke with Linda nad it was a great suggestion. I think we will be able to plant a tree this Satruday, and we can plant it oursleves. It will always be our tree:)

Many thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Regards

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement