Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Literature? from Final Year Student.

Options
  • 20-01-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Quick question:

Think of Dublin city in the context of literature:

Immediately ... what comes to your mind?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Are you asking people to do your homework for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emilyw

No, I am conducting research for my dissertation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

James Joyce. Ulysses. Or is that the cliched answer?

Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Apart from Ulysses, Seán O'Casey's 'Dublin trilogy'; Shadow of a Gunman, Juno and the Paycock, The Plough and the Stars.

In terms of more recent literature Roddy Doyle's Barrytown books spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Emilyw wrote: »
    No, I am conducting research for my dissertation. :)

I take it your research is in the field of criticism so if you are a doing a thesis on literature you do not conduct 'research' by asking people what comes to mind about when they think of 'Dublin literature'.

Just a word of advice choose a different topic and come up with a thesis statement otherwise you will fail, sorry to put it bluntly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I take it your research is in the field of criticism so if you are a doing a thesis on literature you do not conduct 'research' by asking people what comes to mind about when they think of 'Dublin literature'.

Just a word of advice choose a different topic and come up with a thesis statement otherwise you will fail, sorry to put it bluntly.

Stop ruining this thread with such seriousness. Perhaps all she is doing is appealing for opinions?

I'd echo Joyce of course. Though John Banville does an unusally good job of capturing late 80s Dublin in 'The Book of Evidence'.

This is unofficial research for my dissertation for my own personal reasons. Additionally, my research is not in the "field of criticism".

Without prior background on myself... and my chosen field of study I am afraid you are in no position to offer me such brash critique. :)

Denerick wrote: »
    Stop ruining this thread with such seriousness. Perhaps all she is doing is appealing for opinions?

I'd echo Joyce of course. Though John Banville does an unusally good job of capturing late 80s Dublin in 'The Book of Evidence'.
    I must read 'The Book of Evidence'.

Thank you Denerick. :)

Emilyw wrote: »
    This is unofficial research for my dissertation for my own personal reasons. Additionally, my research is not in the "field of criticism".

Without prior background on myself... and my chosen field of study I am afraid you are in no position to offer me such brash critique. :)

Its friendly advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Heres a few that would be considered to pertain to Dublin - Strumpet City by James Plunkett, Sean O' Casey's plays, Joyce's Dubliners, A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, Ulysses, Stephen Hero, Finnegans Wake. Yeats poetry such as "Easter, 1916" "September 1913" plus a lot more, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Flann O Brien's At Swin Two Birds, George Moore's A Drama in Muslin, Paul Murray Skippy Dies.
    GB Shaw and Wilde despite writing primarily about England are inextricably linked to Dublin. Thomas Kilroy's The Shape of Metal, Tom Murphy's The Gigli Concert.

• Advertisement

Its friendly advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Heres a few that would be considered to pertain to Dublin - Strumpet City by James Plunkett, Sean O' Casey's plays, Joyce's Dubliners, A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, Ulysses, Stephen Hero, Finnegans Wake. Yeats poetry such as "Easter, 1916" "September 1913" plus a lot more, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Flann O Brien's At Swin Two Birds, George Moore's A Drama in Muslin, Paul Murray Skippy Dies.
    GB Shaw and Wilde despite writing primarily about England are inextricably linked to Dublin. Thomas Kilroy's The Shape of Metal, Tom Murphy's The Gigli Concert.
    Thank you. :)

I do have a clear thesis statement. However, I am in the process of extensively editing a large segment of work completed (I was dissatisfied)...

I was stuck on a paragraph and required inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I'd echo the above suggestions, and add Roddy Doyle's Barrytown trilogy for an insight into 'working class' Dublin - plus parts of it are absolutely hilarious (to a born&bred Dub!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 itsyuranan

Anything by Joyce really. Might drive you mad though:D

Bram Stoker's Dracula

I recently read Dracula. The link with Dublin begins and ends with the fact that Stoker is from there. Perhaps you were mislead by the 'one city, one book' campaign a couple of years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

Strumpet City?

or 'Dublin' by Sean Moncrieff?

I recently read Dracula. The link with Dublin begins and ends with the fact that Stoker is from there. Perhaps you were mislead by the 'one city, one book' campaign a couple of years back?

A postcolonial reading of Dracula illuminates the link with Ireland. Stoker was from Dublin but wrote the book in London and so was an outsider in this society. It is more the life experience of an Irishman in the nineteenth century abroad however I thought it a worthy inclusion as the OPs question is quite open to interpretation.

It is a very important novel in the canon of Anglo Irish literature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Skippy Dies is set in what is Blackrock College, as far as I know. If you wanted something a little more modern. I haven't read it yet, though, so wouldn't be able to say for certain.
    A postcolonial reading of Dracula illuminates the link with Ireland. Stoker was from Dublin but wrote the book in London and so was an outsider in this society. It is more the life experience of an Irishman in the nineteenth century abroad however I thought it a worthy inclusion as the OPs question is quite open to interpretation.

It is a very important novel in the canon of Anglo Irish literature.

No argument re the important novel but when you say it's about the life experience of an Irishman in London, is there a direct link between characters and the Irish or is it more a broad theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I get the idea of the outsider in society and all that, but I still wouldn't really view Dracula as being a 'Dublin' novel, despite its author being a Dubliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Skippy Dies is set in what is Blackrock College, as far as I know. If you wanted something a little more modern. I haven't read it yet, though, so wouldn't be able to say for certain.

You should read it, it's excellent.

Niles wrote: »
    I get the idea of the outsider in society and all that, but I still wouldn't really view Dracula as being a 'Dublin' novel, despite its author being a Dubliner.

In a postcolonial reading of it the novel is taken as an allegory of Ireland's social, political and cultural upheavals at the end of the nineteenth century. One interpretation sees Dracula as representing the Anglo Irish Ascendancy. Some see Dracula as Charles Stewart Parnell. Others see Dracula and Szgany as representing the radical Land Leaguers or the gombeen men of the period.
    Transylvania is also a clear parrallel to Ireland.

The Dublin literature thesis could be tackled from the Charles Stewart Parnell view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I would add a vote for Anthony Cronin's 'The Life of Riley' which provides a very funny, sharp portrayal of Dublin bohemia of the early 1960's. It was out of print for ages but New Island republished it not long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Einhard wrote: »
    You should read it, it's excellent.

Really? I found it very disappointing. I felt its setting was really anonymous. Fine, the characters identify the place as Dublin/Blackrock College, but I thought the book lacked soul; the characters, language, ideas... everything seemed so generic, like any city.

OP, when I think of Dublin and literature I always come back to the great boozers, particularly Behan and Flann O'Brien (and Grogan's on William street)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I think of Raglan Road and Patrick Kavanagh prowling the streets of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Declan Hughes' Loy books are a good trip around contemporary Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

PurpleBee wrote: »
    I think of Raglan Road and Patrick Kavanagh prowling the streets of Dublin.

A little off topic, but I always found that one of his worst poems, seriously self-indulgent, self pitying and highly misogynistic. Canal poems wonderful though!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

allprops wrote: »
    A little off topic, but I always found that one of his worst poems, seriously self-indulgent, self pitying and highly misogynistic. Canal poems wonderful though!

Yeah definitely has a self-indulgent gloss to it. I just read over it again, no wonder she dumped him!

In a postcolonial reading of it the novel is taken as an allegory of Ireland's social, political and cultural upheavals at the end of the nineteenth century. One interpretation sees Dracula as representing the Anglo Irish Ascendancy. Some see Dracula as Charles Stewart Parnell. Others see Dracula and Szgany as representing the radical Land Leaguers or the gombeen men of the period.
    Transylvania is also a clear parrallel to Ireland.

The Dublin literature thesis could be tackled from the Charles Stewart Parnell view.

Literary criticism - not for the faint hearted. Or the cynical.

Literary criticism - not for the faint hearted. Or the cynical.

Yes, all literature is as black and white as Dan Brown and Ceceilia Ahern.

Yes, all literature is as black and white as Dan Brown and Ceceilia Ahern.

Ok.

Charles Stewart Parnell and Dracula.

I get it. A splendid PHD thesis.

Its just a pity that any historian worth his salt would completely gut such a theory within two minutes.

• Advertisement

Ok.

Charles Stewart Parnell and Dracula.

I get it. A splendid PHD thesis.

Its just a pity that any historian worth his salt would completely gut such a theory within two minutes.

I don't follow your argument here completely though I have an idea that you are attacking literary criticism while Dracula is only an after thought.
    Are you saying historians are in some way superior to literary critics? If you are well that is a something that philosophers from Aristotle to Diderot to Nietzsche among many more completely disagree with and find the fictive author's account of 'history' much more illuminating.
    I was only putting forward a thought which the OP may like to pick up seeing as they are doing a thesis on English literature.

Advertisement